Do Men Dislike Wit in a Woman?

No one objects to wit in others (well, except the sort of morons whose tiny intellects make them feel like tiny men). It's just that most of us are turned off by the abrasively defective social skills that many women seem to mistake for wit (perhaps because most of them learned those social skills from Kotex ads and Sex in the City re-runs on TBS).

If a girl isn't funny or witty, I don't date her. My girlfriend makes fun of me all the time. Likewise, I make fun of her. Then she tells me "I don't want to have a relationship where all we do is make fun of each other." I tell her "We don't. We also make love in my bed almost every night." Then she smiles and says something clever about my inability to perform when drunk, or something of the sort, and the whole cycle starts over again.

So to answer Norsemaiden's question, I love wit in women. I think it adds to the flavor of the relationship. Compatibility comes from a couple's ability to play off of one another. Part of a relationship is resistance. It's not all how the pieces fit perfectly together. Sometimes it's how the pieces don't fit together, but you find ways to get past such things. I appreciate wit in people, whether it's in males or females. If my girlfriend is clever or witty, then I know she's impressing and pleasing (in a coversational sense) other people. That makes me happy, because I know she can hold her own in a coversation.

I've heard this theory about men not appreciating humor in their significant others. Personally, I don't appreciate a lack of humor. Wit shows independence. I want to know that my girlfriend isn't reliant on me in a group situation.

If a girl isn't funny or witty, I don't date her. My girlfriend makes fun of me all the time. Likewise, I make fun of her. Then she tells me "I don't want to have a relationship where all we do is make fun of each other." I tell her "We don't. We also make love in my bed almost every night." Then she smiles and says something clever about my inability to perform when drunk, or something of the sort, and the whole cycle starts over again.

So to answer Norsemaiden's question, I love wit in women. I think it adds to the flavor of the relationship. Compatibility comes from a couple's ability to play off of one another. Part of a relationship is resistance. It's not all how the pieces fit perfectly together. Sometimes it's how the pieces don't fit together, but you find ways to get past such things. I appreciate wit in people, whether it's in males or females. If my girlfriend is clever or witty, then I know she's impressing and pleasing (in a coversational sense) other people. That makes me happy, because I know she can hold her own in a coversation.

I've heard this theory about men not appreciating humor in their significant others. Personally, I don't appreciate a lack of humor. Wit shows independence. I want to know that my girlfriend isn't reliant on me in a group situation.

Good that you have that attitude. Many men from non-western cultures really hate the idea that their wife could be so unreliant upon them. That is the norm in many parts of the world, but men who are like that in the west are considered abnormally abusive. Women should have more reason than men do to fear our culture being transformed through immigration and our own low birth rate. We have so much to lose.

Many men from non-western cultures really hate the idea that their wife could be so unreliant upon them. That is the norm in many parts of the world, but men who are like that in the west are considered abnormally abusive. Women should have more reason than men do to fear our culture being transformed through immigration and our own low birth rate. We have so much to lose.

Wait... the immigrants are going to try and stop us from appreciating witty women? (And what low birth rate?)

...while a much plainer woman who is a pleasure to be with, (and a good cook most likely) will have no problem.

Now we're talking:heh:. This may not yet resonate with some of you fellows talking about girls in school, etc...but at my age, a good cook, plain though she may be, is wildly appealing!

Wait... the immigrants are going to try and stop us from appreciating witty women? (And what low birth rate?)

Indo European people have had a birth rate well below the 2.1 level for very many years now and thus there is a desperate attempt to bring in workers from elsewhere to support our aging population. How could you fail to be aware of that?

The immigrants don't appreciate independent strong women.

Now we're talking:heh:. This may not yet resonate with some of you fellows talking about girls in school, etc...but at my age, a good cook, plain though she may be, is wildly appealing!

It's a long established truism that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Funny how women are less impressed by a man cooking for them. I think we love his thoughtfulness in so doing, but we tend to be more worried about losing our figures perhaps.

To be blunt, I like more intelligent women.

Most women that are clumsy or generally just don't have common sense are more annoying then attractive. I mean, I enjoy girls with a good sense of humor and like having fun, but god... Some girls are just so dumb that I can't stand to even be in the same room with them.

Smart women that aren't stuck up and have a good sense of humor are the best. Even if it's not a serious relationship, they're some of the only "normal" people that'll actually bother to talk back to someone who isn't the same as everyone else (At least that's how it is up here).

Some of the best friends, and girlfriends, I've ever had.

The less intelligent girls seem to jump from guy to guy. They also one day like you and another day forget you even exsist. The intelligent ones that like me, always are cool.

Meh. Maybe that's just how it is here.

:loco: That was silly of me. It's just my mind boggles at anyone not being aware that Indo Europeans are shrinking into oblivion.

Hang on... I know its off topic but what is a Indo European ? Sounds like a cross breed to me ? Anyhow off topic as it is what European blood lines have done is recognized the problems and have their population in check... where as these other bloodlines are hell bent on world domination through overwhelming population numbers... regardless the cost and I wont get into who supports it.....

Perhaps because women like to feed people..... :heh:

Girls with brains (and great bodies)rule, wiz bangers drive me nuts quickly. I agree with most of what others have posted, but like anything else there can be negative use of brain or wit. Still I must confess Im very guilty of placing appearence, sex and attitude far superior to my stomach which is easy to please, cant say the same for the rest of me.

Now if we could just convince the rest of the world that "sex" does not mean "babies"... perhaps this is where the brains and wit could kick in.... :lol:

My girlfriend has lots of wit. I think her overall personality and the ability to react quickly to anything put infront of her with apropriete style or down right nastiness (depending on the situation) is a great and attractive trait. She is not affriad to speak out for herself and will say what needs to be said. I find wit and abrasiveness attractive in a woman because some people (not just females) suppress thier strong side in order to give people the kind and vulnerable appearence so that they can get closer. Why not just be who you are. Besides , wit is a good basis for conversation, and the basic fundementals of any good relationship is good conversation.

Well in Muslim countries women aren't treated as equal

I think this is pretty much still the norm in a lot of the world unfortunately. I once saw a sticker on the bus that had a picture of a woman in a burka and a woman in lingerie. It had a simple question at the bottom. "Which of these two women is the sexual prisoner".

Not all muslim contries treat women as bad as you may think. At least no worse than some other places.

There's a world of difference between wit and cynicism, sarcasm and just plain bitchiness; terms probably much more applicable to the feminine personality.

There's a world of difference between wit and cynicism, sarcasm and just plain bitchiness; terms probably much more applicable to the feminine personality.

oh shit... :lol: shouldnt go there. Hey theres all kinds... right ?

Please find some way to even half justify this ridiculous statement.
Why bother when you didnt even half try to justify this rediculous statement ?

Well in Muslim countries women aren't treated as equal.

yes they are.

they believe God has set up a particular order we are to obey.

female subjugation to the husband in fundamentalist Christian marriages are the same--both and man and women are being treated equally as in accord with God's standard for how they should behave.

atheists have a different idea of equality--one which doesn't base itself on a sex-based hierarchy--and to some fictional culture it could be imagined 'we don't treat children as equals'...well, do we? we treat them as we would have ourselves treated were we ourselves children like them. we say 'this is the proper place of the child, not to vote, or drink, or...' etc., and we are happy to boast "inequality" in favor of adults.

they think their sexism is as valid as we think our ageism, in fact they probably have even more confidence in theirs, since it's not just a common conception of mankind, but 'god-given'.

to treat a woman like a man would be inequality, for them.

funnily enough, we punish worse spousal abuse from man to woman than woman to man; there are two classes of assault, 'assault' and 'assault on a woman'...it presumes a woman more vulnerable, and it makes this sexual inequality in the interest of social equality. disadvantaged by nature, it presumes, the law enacts an equal and opposite inequality in the interest of balance. Incremental income tax does the same thing---treats people as inequals, as apology for their inequality.

:loco: That was silly of me. It's just my mind boggles at anyone not being aware that Indo Europeans are shrinking into oblivion.

boo hoo hoo...

you'll die soon enough, so who gives a shit?

you may as well spend this weekend mourning the Earth's loss of the neanderthol.

d'you think in a hundred or two hundred years people will look back and go, 'damn man, those self-centred lazy ass millenials, they've let everything go to ruins. I wish we were whiter'? If not, and if you presume you don't have an immortal soul and a bigot God, then for exactly what reason is anyone (the aforementioned people to suffer this fate, and you--not living to see it) supposed to care?

Apparently most men like women to laugh at their jokes but not to be funny themselves. This seems to be because men use humour to impress women and feel competitive about this skill. Perhaps if the woman seems to be "better" at it, then he feels inadequate. But not all men are like that. There are some who would choose a funny woman over a non-witty one, if neither was otherwise any better in other respects. Thoughts?

Well clearly it depends on the man and woman in question. If you're looking for a blanket answer, you're not going to find one.

I think most men like wit only in women who are not their girlfriends. That seems to be the case with many of my friends. I don't get it though. Many men seem to be attracted to a certain women because they're funny, but when they start a relationship, it's as if they suddenly don't like the wit anymore.

My girlfriend is extremely bright. She is much smarter than I am in certain areas, and vice versa. I think the most important aspect to a relationship is courtesy. If each person brings something intellectually stimulating to a relationship, then each person feels they are contributing and are being heard.