Do the members of Symphony X have day jobs still?

Archetype

Jul 22, 2004
Someone told me that they still have day jobs, I thought with the success of their last 2 albums they wouldn't need to work. They would be just well off

Yup, most of them do have day jobs. The music biz on this level simply isn't as lucrative as most people think.

This might sound a little... "unfair", but I somehow can't imagine Russ and Romeo still being forced to have day jobs, given the success they're having in the Metal scene (guesting on other people's albums, giving clinics etc.). Sadly, that's the case with the bigger part of good musicians today... although if you can combine your day job with your "other job" (i.e. making music) somehow, all the better. Enchant's keyboarder for instance works as a synth designer at Korg!

Yup, most of them do have day jobs. The music biz on this level simply isn't as lucrative as most people think.

I'm trying to piece a few things together here. I believe I read in an interview that they would eventually like to be able to live off of symphony x without working other jobs; is that correct? Are they moving closer to that goal?

Maybe they dont NEED day jobs, but they like having that steady income between tours, and while inthe studio to help defray costs of studio time, and to better provide for themselves and their families?

The feeling is worse when you realize that the real musicians are pulling day jobs while shitty rap and pop groups sit back and relax in mansions.

SilentRealm said:
stephan forte as far as he's told me doesnt really have one now. I think he still does guitar lessons whenever he can but the band is a full time job for him.

is he a cool guy? I was just wondering because I heard Michael Romeo was kind of a jerk from some people, doubt it though. Most geniuses are jerks though, I guess they have that right.

sorry, if this is too off-topic

dargormudshark said:
is he a cool guy? I was just wondering because I heard Michael Romeo was kind of a jerk from some people, doubt it though. Most geniuses are jerks though, I guess they have that right.

sorry, if this is too off-topic

:guh: Romeo's always been a really cool guy every time I've met him.

Yeah Stephan is pretty cool.. just dont bring up certain musical subjects like Children Of Bodom (that convo didnt go over well, he doesn't like them at all). Franck, Adagio's bassist, is very cool though, very down to earth and pretty easy to talk to.

dargormudshark said:

I don't know who told you that Romeo is a jerk - he's a really friendly guy. Hell, everyone in Symphony X is really down-to-earth and cool.