Do you all buy Opeth cd's?

atilla000

Flemish Guitarist
Nov 8, 2004
Belgium
It really looks really everyone here owns only original copies. You're all good guys, but I think it's strange, amongst all people I know, I'm pretty much the only one who still buys his cd's. I've got three original Opeth cd's, wich is really the highest percentage of original cd's I have from a certain group.

My lame excuse for not having bought Orchid, Morningrise, Deliverance and Damnation is that I don't like them thát much, but it's pretty stupid when I look at my cd collection, for example Best of the Beast (70 % shit songs)...

What do you guys think?

I have bought all seven albums and the DVD. I have the Orchid tin, MR with no bonus, MAYH no bonus, SL digipak, BWP deluxe, Deliverence, and Damnation. My first Opeth was a burned copy of BWP, but I gave it away and bought the actual album. I also have the first three albums on Vinyl.

90% of all of my albums are original. I have a few copies and a few DLs, but usually only for rare stuff like Atheist.

I think I will always prefer buying the cd to any other form of ownership.

I actually wish that cds still had the old-fashioned full-sized cardboard slip covers (those of you under the age of 20 will not remember these - they were discontinued in the early 90s - people were freaking out that we were wasting cardboard :loco: )

There's just something cathartic about the cd puchasing experience. Maybe because I've been doing it for the better part of my life, I don't know.

Sure i got them first as mp3 files. But i bought all of them like 2 months after i heard every cd (and the dvd when it came out). But i dont own fancy useless stuff, like a cd twice (one in a tinbox) or shit like that.

I also buy all my CD's; I like supporting artists that make good music. There's something appealing about having the packaging, the liner note, lyrics, etc. I wonder if in the future we'll be like people who prefer vinyl over CD's today, telling all the kids to stick their digital music in their A drive.

i love having the Discs and Liner notes because i have several massive cases full of them, and when i add to it, i want the same quality as the rest, not just a burned cd with a felt marker scribble on it. i'm proud of my collection because it shows my support for all these bands

i just get Still Life 2 weeks ago (and there are 2 books inside :p ).
but i ve downloaded the others :cry: it's not good i know.
Opeth is now my favorite band, i'll soon buy them all.

I just buy cds from my fave bands, or cds which are cult. i'm waiting for the time i'll have more money ... :erk:

I've got all their albums on CD + MAYH and Morningrise special tin case edition. I stupidly got the two tin case ones first and I was pissed off that there was no artwork or lyrics...Oh yes I get lamentations

uhm...yeah. by now, most of you know i don't know shit about computers or the internet. so, you won't be surprised by my question: "what other choice is there?"
i've always heard stories about downloading this or that and burning this or that, but i didn't know you could just download entire albums. is that what you guys are talking about? where and how? someone clue me in. i'm not going to to do it, i just don't understand. personally, i find it extremely offensive that someone would steal someone else's art because they are too cheap or too lazy to buy it.
thanks.

True, I also love watching the Still Life booklet while listening. But what I hate about those expensive cd's is that they (at least in my hands) last no longer than five years. Some tracks of SL are almost dead by now...
But something that discourages me from buying all those cd's from bands I listen to is that I always start disliking self-bought cd's that aren't worth five stars, and that makes me feel really bad, all that wasted money.

I got all the albums and the dvd bought. i think i really dont love any other band a quarter as much as opeth, so its my obligation to support them! also i really love the smells of the booklets, and the whole artwork. so as i got my first, it was morningrise, it was predestinated that im going to get them all.
im not the guy who spends much amounts of money just to get all albums of all great metal bands ever, but opeth is a different thing, as you know.
but i must say that not everyone buys. for example i know 2 or 3 guys who are just downloading the whole fucking day...

Yes, everything except for Damnation. I don't like that cheap feeling when just compiling mp3s into a blank CD. The authentic stuff makes me feel good, and might also help the band itself.

dorian gray said:
uhm...yeah. by now, most of you know i don't know shit about computers or the internet. so, you won't be surprised by my question: "what other choice is there?"
i've always heard stories about downloading this or that and burning this or that, but i didn't know you could just download entire albums. is that what you guys are talking about? where and how? someone clue me in. i'm not going to to do it, i just don't understand. personally, i find it extremely offensive that someone would steal someone else's art because they are too cheap or too lazy to buy it.
thanks.
DC++ is thé download tool for metalheads. Lots of scandinavian metalheads use the prog. You can even find some of the weirdest extreme metal bands over there. There is even a 'rule' that tells everyone to share all his/her stuff, nicely sorted in folders.

FUBAR said:
^ You can download entire albums but it comes one big song
Not true. It's exactly the same, except for a slight loss in audio quality. (another reason why I bought SL etc)

Tomorrow I´ll buy Damnation, and i already have Orchid (2 bonus), My Arms (2 bonus), Deliverance, Blackwater and Lamentations...

I have the others in mp3, but I know that if i see one of them i´ll buy it... The problem is that here in Argentina it´s difficult to get some cds because of the economical situation...

FUBAR said:

No, i've all the songs and they are separated. you can download an entire discography too...

I know it's very bad. but Metal is my life, and without new cds, i don't think i can live. Having no billions € in my pocket, i ve just one choice to survive... but i try to buy all my fave stuffs. even with just my faves, they re too numberous.

FUBAR said:

Hmmm strange quoting myself...I guess I have been proved very wrong, but I use WinMX to download stuff and the albums come as one big song which sucks

atilla000 said:
DC++ is thé download tool for metalheads. Lots of scandinavian metalheads use the prog. You can even find some of the weirdest extreme metal bands over there. There is even a 'rule' that tells everyone to share all his/her stuff, nicely sorted in folders.
thanks, dude. i still don't understand though. how does the music get on the internet to download in the first place. obviously, Opeth aren't posting their discography on the net and saying, "here you go! back to my job at the record store!" where does it come from?
further, do some unsigned bands (and bands who don't give a shit) put their stuff on the internet so it gets noticed?
more please....