Do you all buy Opeth cd's?

dorian gray said:
thanks, dude. i still don't understand though. how does the music get on the internet to download in the first place. obviously, Opeth aren't posting their discography on the net and saying, "here you go! back to my job at the record store!" where does it come from?
further, do some unsigned bands (and bands who don't give a shit) put their stuff on the internet so it gets noticed?
more please....

I'm also a little hazy on the subject...

I buy my CDs whenever possible. I also dl a lot of music, but when I like something I buy it because I prefer to own the real thing than to burn it on a cd-r. I also would feel bad to steal some band's hard work, keep in mind that some (if not most) of the bands you listen to don't make enough money to do this for a living.

I have MAYH, Still Life, Blackwater Park, Damnation and Lamentations.

dorian gray said:
thanks, dude. i still don't understand though. how does the music get on the internet to download in the first place. obviously, Opeth aren't posting their discography on the net and saying, "here you go! back to my job at the record store!" where does it come from?
further, do some unsigned bands (and bands who don't give a shit) put their stuff on the internet so it gets noticed?
more please....
One big remark. CD's you download with DC++ haven't been uploaded or whatever to the internet. When you download something with DC++, you are actually looking in someone's pc. You are downloading from one particular person. That can be very interestiong, it's like getting to "know" someone, looking in his collection, thinking, hey, this guy has a good taste, and thus discovering new bands.

And indeed, young bands get their mp3's on their site (if they're smart), to avoid being dependent on some stupid radio stations who wouldn't play their songs anyway.

I hope it's a bit clear...

dorian gray said:
more please....
someone gets the record, rips it to MP3 and shares with the world

thought it would be obvious?

Ernie: i would guess that almost all the bands folks like us listen to need to supplement their income in some way. imagine all the overhead that exists for a signed and touring band. so many people and material goods taking a cut. on top of that, they have a max of 500 people per show. anything they have left must be split between all the members. i know lots of people who simply had to give up music because their out-of-pocket expense far exceeded whatever they were making at their shows. i mean, shit, sometimes, they wouldn't make enough to pay for the GAS to get back and forth!

ChrisEmerson said:
someone gets the record, rips it to MP3 and shares with the world

thought it would be obvious?
not obvious to me apparently.

so how is this practice not illegal?

That's our economy...
Imagine all those local shit bands unleashing their crap forever!
Where I live it's overcrowded with shitty punkrock, I'm really happy they can't don't gain any money with their noise. :)

why do so many people partake in this illegal and offensive activity?

are there stats that show who's stuff gets illegally downloaded the most? that'd be interesting.

no idea.

people do it because they cant afford to buy the record / much more convinent or easy. simple as that.

personally, i do it because i like to know what im getting when i buy a cd. I dont want to buy a cd to find out its shit. I buy as many CDs as i can afford, but i still have about 1,200 albums on mp3.

I dont use DC++ though.

$15 is about £7-£8. Here, albums are up to £16 - £17

The fact is, piracy is keeping the music industry alive. If it wasnt for piracy, the record companies could charge as much as they like for albums, as they wouldnt need to compete with MP3s. Then people would stop buying cds, and itd all collapse.

i only downloaded a few opeth tracks, when i first had gotten into them. right after that, i purchased all 7 albums. i have quite a few cds i've bought, but i download retarded amounts of music. i rarely buy cds anymore. soulseek is my friend.

ChrisEmerson said:
$15 is about £7-£8. Here, albums are up to £16 - £17

The fact is, piracy is keeping the music industry alive. If it wasnt for piracy, the record companies could charge as much as they like for albums, as they wouldnt need to compete with MP3s. Then people would stop buying cds, and itd all collapse.

That is incorrect. the truth is that CDs will typically stay priced within the means of the majority of the buyer's market of music price range. If it has been proven the most the average customer will pay no more than $17.00 for a single CD album...then the prices of CDs will stay at $13-17.

In the late 70s (77-on), the price of vinyl albums took a 35% increase, and it seriously fluctuated the market. With the invention of cassettes and the like, the price to manufacture vinyl records seemed more costly, and furthermore, less desirable. Also, albums were now being bought more regularly, nobody was relying on "singles" or vinyl EPs nearly as much as in the past. Which required more overhead spending costs for record companies. So the price increased...and technology improved...eventually leading to the downfall of vinyl records all together.

CDs could follow in a similar fashion i suppose, assuming they become obsolete, or too costly, or people just decide not to spend money on music anymore.

This does seem unlikely to me. Going to the record store, and buying your favorite music in album form, with pride of ownership, supporting your artists, and being able to take pride and passion in that interest is a quality i dont think will ever go away. Much like newspapers...they typically dont make sense, since everything can technically be read on the internet these days...but theres still those people who like to wake up in the morning...sit down with their coffee and muffin, and read the newspaper like they always have....

Sorry for the rant...but i just dont see MP3s taking over entirely for a long time. :p

ChrisEmerson said:
what?! do you have any evidence to back this up?
CDs have been in the mass market since at least the mid 80s. for as long as i can remember, they have been around $15. They are still $15, which means, adjusting for inflation, they are cheaper than ever. For whatever reason, that's what the consumer wants to pay and that's what the market bears. There were never any problems until people started stealing music. If anything, I would hypothesize that the illegal internet activity will drive prices of CDs up to compensate for the perceived "loss" of consumers.

...or are you being sarcastic?

Nirnaeth Arnoediad said:
And here in Argentina are quite expensive... not all of them, but yes, it´s a pain in the ass to buy one...
so are you saying the appropriate thing to do is to steal them?