Do you believe humans have failed?

InsArtTure

Agiel
Aug 29, 2006
Sofia,Bulgaria
Yeah, it is kind of a free discussion. Recently I have been on a hike high in the mountains and I have been thinking over some issues.

Do you think our society failed along the centuries? Have you ever thought about what suffering brings to humanity and how much, how immensely much humanity has suffered and the individual itself?

And I am starting this thread partly because we all have read lyrics concerning issues like this.

As Stanne says - "communication failed". During my stay-in the mountains, isolated in an unhectic place, I realised - IT is the place where I belong to and where man generally belongs to - the woods. It is where he can be what he is meant to be - a social animal ( as philosophers say)

And if MAN should be any superior to other living creatures for he knows reason and intelligence, he should b able to bulid society and be part of it.

The facts, however, show us far more different situation ( I think you would agree on this).

Humanity has always looked more like a herd of animals, rather than a society of intelligent creatures. And what makes it so is egoism: THE STRIVING to satisfy needs and survive. Just like animals. They use the herd to preserve their lives and to earn benefits. GIVING is unknown.

And I think, what differs human from animals is giving - giving to others. Society, as a community is a place to live and give, give your efforts and love for good.
Egoism is not a bad thing-it is survival - but it is an obstacle for every society and it is the base for materialism and Capitalism in its all manifestations.

Personally, I am litle an egoist and I live, learn and walk for my family, for my love and soon enough for my children. I find sense in it. Other people do not. But egoism makes me lonely. Satisfaction and survial, at least to me, is nothing worhty of achieving. Giving you efforts to people you love is worthy enough, though.

So, what do you think of it? :)

It's one thing to say that "communication failed", because its purpose is to convey information or emotions between individuals, and it may well be considered a failure if the purpose is not met. It's quite another to say that humanity failed: for once, I'm not sure it could have failed (or succeeded) doing what, exactly.

Apparently, you're convinced humanity had a purpose to fulfill. I can only guess which one you mean, and based on your idea of what it is humanity has certainly failed or succeeded. Personally, it seems to me its behavior in terms of development, survival, and prospective end, is not unlike that of other species: we've grown and prospered, then once resources are depleted we'll collapse. I won't be there to see it, though, nor will my children should I have any, so I'm not tearing my clothes.

Should other species like elephants or bacteria could speak and write lyrics, i'm sure that in their writings we would find the same concepts and thoughts: decline of the species, suffering, suffering, suffering, achievement, society, purpose and family.

:lol: Haha, so what then? Are we doomed? Is intelligence the greatest illusion?

If you are right, then reason is nothing but a law of nature. The same as many others.:cry:

i would, however, be pretty interested in seeing a band of elephants.

@IAT: Nah, it's not an illusion. The greatest discovery though, maybe. :p

@hyena: i would be very interested in that as well. :eek:
they could already count me as their groupie*.

*cuddle-groupie, ie.

I think it's important to understand that humans are evolution in progress, just like all other creatures. Expecting perfection is expecting too much.

Eventually we learn things, and progress as evolution demands - and yet humans will always be humans.

Have we failed? Not necessarily.
Have we developed in to our full potential? Never.