Do You Fear Death?

Do You Fear Death?

• Total voters
I don't fear death in itself or what may lie beyond. I fear the many ways in which it may occur. I've always dreaded the thought of a very violent death or due to some incapacitating illness that could rob me of the joy of living for many years before it all actually ends.

I also fear the death of those I love infintely more than I fear my own. I think I fear solitude more than I fear death.

I don't fear death. Death is a release. My Mom just died this summer and she was fully ready to check out. Mostly death is a release from all the stupid fucking morons on this planet!

Yes I fear death. My belief is; it is the end of everything I have ever known and can possibly understand, & it is either the commencement of a completely unknown level of existence, or, it is oblivion... & both these possibilities scare me.

That said, there are things that scare me more than death.

I fear the uncertainty of death. Not death itself.

I have come to terms with my morality. It used to strike me down, and at times I do fear being trapped in that dark non-existent place known as death, but then I remember that I am being now, and in such, I can only hope that there is an afterlife or place of being without so much suffering.

I find it hard to believe that religion was created by man. Sometimes I think there may have been some advanced civilized beings that visited our planet long, long ago, and laid the foundation for much of the knowledge we have acquired. Then again, I don't know. Perhaps we are human and there has been no intervention.

Death in reality is a state of non-existence... at least for the person who dies. I am more afraid of my loved ones dying than myself.

edit by Blowtus: Try again with some reasoning or don't bother posting. This is not the place for the simple stating of personal preferences.

I am definitely scared of death...Usually if I smoke some weeed I think about it alot. I'm more afraid of dying in a painful way then just dying...I really DO NOT wanna get shot or stabbed or choked to death..I also feel scared of people that I know and love dying...I'll miss them to much or I get scared people will miss me also.

I have seen close friends/family die. It's very weird not seeing or talking to them anymore but maybe death is just better. Life is depressing and painful

I am definitely scared of death...Usually if I smoke some weeed I think about it alot. I'm more afraid of dying in a painful way then just dying...I really DO NOT wanna get shot or stabbed or choked to death..I also feel scared of people that I know and love dying...I'll miss them to much or I get scared people will miss me also.

I have seen close friends/family die. It's very weird not seeing or talking to them anymore but maybe death is just better. Life is depressing and painful

Now that is an honest answer. Good post.

I most definitely fear death - I don't want to die! But my fear is an accepting one. I am completely accepting of the fact that I, like all others, must one day die. But I want to accomplish a few things first - have fun, make friends, PLAY METAL! and more importantly I want to make sure that I leave something behind that people will remember, at least for a while. I would like to have a family, maybe do something profound. Whatever it is, it is not so much fear of death, but what death may rob me of if it were to come sooner than I hope or expect.

I do not fear death. I am not ready to die, however. There are still a lot of things I need to get done before I go. There's a distinct difference between fear of death and readiness for it.

i think people fear old age more than death. at least they fear the transition between life and death. i guess it comes down to whether life is worth it. if people quote schopenhauer and ligotti i would give them in turn beethoen or davinci.

i dont think death is something to be afraid of...i mean, we all know that we are going to die someday or another...its inevitable

i think what people are afraid of is the fact that they dont really know WHEN there gonna die...that they wont be prepared for it...

i think thats crap though...when you die, you die...you get burried in the ground and devoured by worms...:zombie:

whats so bad about it? (JK)

but when it comes to others you love dying...then thats another story...a shitty one...

I think, once the gun is to the temple, you notice how much of what is said here is true and what is idealistic. Which is not to say Idealism is wrong in overcoming a fear of death, but then you're living for that ideal and should die for that ideal, given the chance and reason. But if you don't, if fate proves that you might live, do you still hide behind the ideal?

Point being, I would die for any of you without question. But for anything else...I'm not sure it's worth it.

Death should be thought not as the point where you stop living but as the point where you make people remember you, your achievements and failures, your influence on the world and on people that you were in some kind of touch with, whether it is good nor bad - you leave memories behind, you make your own history that you should be working on as you are still "alive", an expression I don't like using. You leave this place and you go to another. Our "lives" is just a small part of what I call life - you keep passing like this eternally and this is still not enough, time moves faster than you can imagine. There are infinity things to achieve and to see, feel and so on, and eternity is not enough time, anywhere is not enough place to do it.
This is why I don't see death as an end of something, but as a small thing in life, life that goes on after death. Instead of looking at it as the end - I prefer looking at it as a window of infinite opportunities and turns in life. I do not fear death but I still try to take advantage of this tiny portion of life and do as much of the possibilities I can reach.

I try to enjoy life.

If only that were true. We are momentary memorys while those that knew us are still alive, after that our name is nothing more than a wisper blown away by the wind. It takes time to learn and accept this, in the end none of this really matters.

If a watershed is something to be, perhaps death will take him there. Therefore, if a watershed can become, why fear it's creation?

Me personally, I dream about becoming the Watershed...But how is always the question :p

I don't fear death it's self. It's the fact that death is unexpected that scares me, if anything.
Just knowing [nowadays even more then ever] that anything and everything can kill you scares the fuck out of me.

Plus, like i-end-to-die said - everyone fears death once a gun is pointed to their face, and that everyone fears of a slow painfull death. It's only natural.