Do you have Food for Thought? Please enter...

Iris

Multis Periculis Supersum
Aug 31, 2001
α Piscium
Since this board is full of wonderful food and tastefull idea's, i tought it was time for a special thread. Share your recipes, please.
To end those annoying: ' I'm having folks for dinner and don't know what to cook ' moments or to ease those 'i want to cook something different' needs.
I'll kick off with an appetizer.

"Coated Plums"

-Some candied plums (i suggest 4 to 6 plums the person)
-Smoked chicken
-Bacon
-Cocktail sticks
-Fresh coriander
-1 small red onion or a few shallots
-Freshly grinded black pepper

Take the kernels from the plums and make an incision in the length of the
plums. Fill the plums with some smoked chicken.
Then roll the stuffed plum in a slice of bacon -make sure it's wrapped up tight- and put a cocktail stick through the package, to keep the bacon at it's place while being fried.
Fry the coated plums in a firepan, -no need to add oil- for about 5 to 7 minutes on a high fire. Then put them on a plate and let them cool off for a while untill they are lukewarm.
In the meanwhile cut the onion(s) in really thin slices and take the coriander leafs from the stem. Take the cocktail stick from the package and stick it on top. When it's time to serve: sprinkle the coriander leafs and sliced onions over the plums and add some fresh grinded black pepper.

For diversity and/or vegetarians:

instead of plums you can use candied dates. Also, remove the kernel and make an incision over the length. instead of smoked chicken you can use Port Salut or another soft cheese to fill the dates. You don't have to bake these sweet appetizers, just put a cocktailstick on top and sprinkle with sliced onions and coriander leafs.. hmmmmmm.

Bon Appetit! Enjoy your meal! Selamat Makan! Smakelijk eten!

I made some Veal Marsala last night in chef class, it was so good I'll share the recipe later

watch this space

Chromatose said:
watch this space

Do you mean Massala, to prepare an indian curry?
That space is going to be filled with sweeeetieness!!!
Hmm.. *nice filling* :cool:

pixalootarkari.jpg

GODDAMN NAZI Cheese and Crackers

nazicheese.jpg

Ingredients:
1 Soda Cracker
1 Slice of Cheese of your preference

directions:
1. lay the cracker onto your plate
2. cut cheese into "L" shapes
3. Arrange as shown.
4. Enjoy!

"Hungry Man" XXL backyard barbeque (over 1 1/2 lb of food).
Instructions included.
Are you a real hungryman?!?!

I know how to make some killer bbq or grilled chicken!
1-Get your chicken BREASTS...rinse them
2-put them in a bowl and add some dressing...Italian, vinaigrette or whatever (I use trilliam garlic basil).
Just add enough to coat each piece of chicken.
3-add about a tablespoon of olive oil
4-cut up some fresh herbs (or use dried) and toss those in the mix...add a little salt & pepper.
5-NOW..get a fork and stab the shit out of your chicken....for a couple of minutes. This sounds retarded, but it makes the chicken really tender.
6-BBQ or cook over a stove in a skillet..both work well. The sugars in the dressing should caramelize to a light brown color. You can always add more olive oil if your chicken sticks to the pan.
ALSO! You can add some mushrooms, yellow and red bell peppers, and onions...mm!
Just be sure to add the mushrooms last (during the last few minutes of cooking..else they'll cook down to nothing).
yummies!

Get some, Pitta Bread, fresh prawns (the small ones),ketchup, mayonnaise, lemon juice (or a lemon) a bag of mixed salad and some pepper.

Mix the ketchup and mayonnaise in a bowl (kinda equal amounts) into a a thingee sauce (forgot its name). Mix it all together till its nice and pink, add the prawns and mix it all together, add a dash of lemon juice or a quick squeeze of lemon and mix again.

Splash the pitta with cold water and put under a hot grill, a minute or so on each side. Cut open the pitta, fill it with some salad and then some of the prawns in their sauce.

It's not a shabby dish, and its real easy for lunch.

Hmm, that's tasty! I'm gonna try that out!

Prawny pitta's...
and here's a tip for the 'scottish chef' 'laddie!
add some scotch to that 'thingy sauce' ... :loco:
Hmmm, is fresh parsley allowed in your recipe?
Sprinkle some on top,
that taste goes sweeeeet with prawns and scottish thingy sauce!

ACF2E3.jpg

actually marsala and massala are different things. Marsala is a sauce made from reducing marsala wine... but either way i lost my veal marsala recipe so I can't post it... and regardless, the karmic loss resulted from eating veal isn't so much something I want to spread.

so instead here's a tasty PUMPKIN FLAN! which I made this weekend, and have to make a zillion more of tonight for a thanksgiving feast.

<recipe blatantly copied from teh intarnootz>

For caramel and flan:
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
5 whole large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
1 (15-oz) can solid-pack pumpkin (1 3/4 cups; not pie filling)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt

For spiced pumpkin seeds:
1 cup green (hulled) pumpkin seeds (1/4 lb; not toasted)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne

Special equipment: a 2-qt souffl&#233; dish or round ceramic casserole dish

Make caramel:
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350&#176;F. Heat souffl&#233; dish in oven while making caramel.
Cook 1 cup sugar in a dry 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, undisturbed, until it begins to melt. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally with a fork, until sugar melts into a deep golden caramel. Wearing oven mitts, remove hot dish from oven and immediately pour caramel into dish, tilting it to cover bottom and side. (Leave oven on.) Keep tilting as caramel cools and thickens enough to coat, then let harden.

Make flan:
Bring cream and milk to a bare simmer in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, then remove from heat. Whisk together whole eggs, yolk, and remaining cup sugar in a large bowl until combined well, then whisk in pumpkin, vanilla, spices, and salt until combined well. Add hot cream mixture in a slow stream, whisking.

Pour custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, scraping with a rubber spatula to force through, and stir to combine well. Pour custard over caramel in dish, then bake in a water bath until flan is golden brown on top and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 1/4 hours. Remove dish from water bath and transfer to a rack to cool. Chill flan, covered, until cold, at least 6 hours.

Make spiced pumpkin seeds while flan chills:
Toast pumpkin seeds in oil in a 10- to 12-inch heavy skillet (preferably cast-iron) over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until puffed and golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Toss with salt and cayenne until coated.

To serve:
Run a thin knife between flan and side of dish to loosen. Shake dish gently from side to side and, when flan moves freely in dish, invert a large platter with a lip over dish. Holding dish and platter securely together, quickly invert and turn out flan onto platter. (Caramel will pour out over and around flan.) Sprinkle flan with spiced pumpkin seeds just before serving.

Cooks' notes:
&#8226; Flan can be chilled 1 day.
&#8226; Spiced pumpkin seeds keep in an airtight container at room temperature, 3 days.