do you know this FAMOUS quotation?

maybe his mother?
my father's favorite made-up saying is "baka to kichigai wo aite ni shinai!!" which he says in an extremely angry japanese voice and a deep scowl (and it's always addressed to one of this family members, followed by a slam of the door). it means, "i don't tolerate/acknowledge the existence of idiots and crazies!" and since he's been saying it as far back as i can remember, i consider it a valid quote!

Maybe he thinks or has been raised to think that all old ladies are supposed to be nice people, and has just re-worked "Never trust strangers even they are nice," which I would guess is a bit more common.

sounds like Monty Python.

then again, i'm drunk, and watching Holy Grail. pretty much everything sounds like MP right now, including the gas bomb i just left behind my person.

i'm no help. i'm sorry.

I personally think he is taking a well-known idea (not trusting strangers) and creating some kind of vaguely-remembered, maybe-not-really-remembered-at-all "popular saying" out of it, and since he's writing a paper about Roald Dahl's "The Landlady" which features a creepy old woman as the antagonist, he added in the "even an old lady" part.

Yeah I think I would agree with that assessment, I've never heard that phrase.

hey but isnt there an urban legend about someone doing a favor for a nice old lady, like giving her a ride, and then noticing her big old MAN HANDS cuz it was a dude and he killed them? (pronoun error on purpose to avoid saying her or him)

attn: Amanda and others

is this true?

"Sigmund Freud once said, 'Everyone is born evil.'"

Freud may or may not have expressed that sentiment but I don't recall him using that exact phrase anywhere and I don't see it on Google. I think this is another Chinese-boy made-up quotation.

well not like his SEMESTER grade, but the grade for his essay is partially dependent on whether he went on the Internet and found a really good quotation and incorporated it into his essay (like the one kid who found a neat Montaigne quotation) or just made some shit up and figured I wouldn't know that Nelson Mandela didn't say "Injustice sucks" or something.

I think part of it is that they don't understand (despite my instruction) that a quotation is EXACTLY what someone said, not the gist of what they might have said.