Do you still buy CDs even though Spotify has a huge selection of niche metal?

I honestly wish I had CDs still. When my ex and I split she got rid of them all. Somewhere around 1000 plus a couple hundred records and 150 cassettes. I've never bought CDs like that since. Starting over is hard, and I can't replace all the autographed and rare ones. Ugh, I'm depressed now.

I honestly wish I had CDs still. When my ex and I split she got rid of them all. Somewhere around 1000 plus a couple hundred records and 150 cassettes. I've never bought CDs like that since. Starting over is hard, and I can't replace all the autographed and rare ones. Ugh, I'm depressed now.

Make her suffer.

I'm with Deron. One of my favorite things to do is go to the local indie shops and just browse. It's one of my ways to kinda get away from life for a little bit. That feeling when you find something you've wanted for a while and just haven't had an opportunity to obtain it is like no other.

I'm with Deron. One of my favorite things to do is go to the local indie shops and just browse. It's one of my ways to kinda get away from life for a little bit. That feeling when you find something you've wanted for a while and just haven't had an opportunity to obtain it is like no other.
I do miss that dearly. I used to go to this place called Black and Read in Colorado. Had a giant metal, rock and punk section. They had a lot of good occult books as well. I used to spend sometimes well over an hour or 2 just looking. I miss my collection, but the collecting (i.e., browsing the store, shopping online, etc...) was better than having the CD, really.

Right now I just download. Fuck Spotify and their stupid commercials. I want to get back in the habit of buying, because I do enjoy building my metal collection, but I need to get a better stereo set up in my room before it will be worth buying again.

$10 a month and there's no commercials, a huge selection of stuff we all listen to (ALOT of niche metal, to the point that I only use Spotify for music now and have very rarely been disappointed in finding a band or album I want to hear), plus unlimited skips, no mandatory shuffle playing, its pretty sweet.

EDIT: And $10 a month is not bad for that kind of unlimited metal. $120 a year, and occasionally free months. I could spend $120 right now at Sevared or something easily. Its a good deal. Seriously guys, if you can't afford physical copies, don't collect, or lost all your shit to an evil Mexican woman during a break up, then try it out yo.

Use WiFi and $0 is theft. You shit bag.

I'm kidding. I'd download too but no computer right now and the $10 a month means I can smugly feel guilt free for not buying CDs anymore

I used to be in the "browsing in a music shop and discovering a new record/CD and enjoying the packaging/line notes" camp, but TBH with the ease and amount of music out there, Spotify/download is a much better way of discovering and ultimately enjoying (new) music.

I'll download album's I'm interested in and listen to them for a while - if they're really good albums that I'll continue to listen to, then I'd probably buy the CD but otherwise not. Especially as these days many CD issues come with special editions with extra songs, DVD's with concerts and making of videos - it's nice to have them.

I've cut my CD collection drastically over the last few years for space issues, plus I just don't listen to them any more. So there's a big box downstairs now and a select 100-odd CD's on the shelf that get more regular use. Most of the time though it's headphones and the iphone.

Seriously, for those of us that started listening pre-digital/internet - I'd be shocked to hear anyone say that those weren't the best music days of our lives. There's no greater (music listening) experience than finding something kick ass (not knowing it at the time), taking it home, cracking it open, and reading through the liner notes/lyrics while listening for the first time. Amazing feeling.

I actually prefer finding music online. I bought so many dud albums back in the day because they looked good in the shop. My favourite time for music discovery was when myspace was the social network of choice. I could find a band I liked, then go through all the friends of that band, listening to whatever tracks they'd put up, then go out and buy their albums.