Does anybody remember King Crimson?

heavyhallis

New Metal Member
Feb 2, 2002
Stockholm,Sweden
Visit site
Listening to, among others , Opeth, Katatonia and at this very moment Tiamat, it strikes me, (propably it has something to do with my age, but that´s just a minor part) the likenesses with King Crimson, Robert Fripps amazing progressive rock/jazz/avantgardeband of the seventies. Entombed made a cover of the incredible "21st Century Schizoid Man" on their "To shoot straight... (or whatever) bonus CD. However they didn´t manage, or wanted to do the whole song... Anyway, I just wanted to say that many of todays best progressive metalbands (and their fans) should listen to some of the oldies from the seventies, they have a lot in common. Listen and give me your opinion.

"In The Court Of The Crimson King" and "Epitaph / March For No Reason"

Nuff said :D

In The Woods is one of the bands that is a modern metal version of the 70ies psychedelia. I think they covered one or two, not sure King Crimson songs....

Originally posted by Gleemonex

hmmm, that sounds a bit familiar...ah yes "In The Hall Of The Mountain King" by Grieg.. i wonder if they are referring to that one

E. Grieg's the greatest, no wonder they are ripping him off :D j/k it does sound a bit similar, maybe it was unintentional. Great song tho.

E. Grieg's the greatest, no wonder they are ripping him off j/k it does sound a bit similar, maybe it was unintentional. Great song tho.

i thought it might be some kind of a cover or sth, i´v never even heard of King Crimson lol

yes Grieg is indeed great. Any other great classics that you like? :)

i thought it might be some kind of a cover or sth, i´v never even heard of King Crimson lol

I don't think it has anything to do with Grieg, i believe i have read somewhere that the title was inspired by William Blake.

yes Grieg is indeed great. Any other great classics that you like? :)

Yeah, Chopin and his nocturnos. Peaceful, really.
You?

403: amazing! i adore Chopin's nocturnes!
among my favorites would be Adagio by Albinoni, just about everything by Chopin, Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven, some tunes by Mozart, The Four Seasons by Vivaldi, and.. erm, just a whole bunch more lol :)

403: amazing! i adore Chopin's nocturnes!
among my favorites would be Adagio by Albinoni, just about everything by Chopin, Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven, some tunes by Mozart, The Four Seasons by Vivaldi, and.. erm, just a whole bunch more lol :)

Get out of here! :D I love Albinoni's Adagio! What about Air on a G String by Bach or lacrimosa from Mozart's Requiem? One of the few that send chills up my spine!

DROOL Albinoni's Adagio is the most beautiful song imaginable! Air on a G String by Bach? hmm, i think i know it but i don´t remember the name.. i´d definitely know it if i heard it!

I´ve been trying to find Mozart's Requiem on CD, i´ve only heard it from Amadeus the movie, and then bits in horrible quality like Midifiles over the net and so on, but i think the piece is magnificent. It is a CD i am going to own oneday! ;)

so, i guess you´re one who has a "broad" musical taste as i? ;D

Pretty much, I'll listen to anything (well ALMOST anything, some things just can't help giving me indigestion :lol: ) from Macedonian folk, Dead Can Dance, eighties pop to Summoning (now playing :D ), Carcass, whatever

I suggest you try downloading Mozart's Requiem and Bach's Air on a G String with WinMX, you're bound to run into someone there who has it.

ah well, i´m gonna get a cd of Mozart's Requiem, somehow i can´t really get into classical music sitting at the comp, i love to be able to lay back, close my eyes and do nothing while i listen to it :) hmmm, and i think i´m gonna check if i have Bach's Air somewhere around (or if i find it on one of my father's lol, i have "borrowed" quite a few of his classical cds, ah as long as he doesn´t mind it´s not a bad thing.. is it? ;))

I'm sure he's not the one to stand in the way of his daughter's classical progress :D

Saw Mozart's Requiem in a supermarket, for a ridiculously low price. Good thing these CDs come cheap, otherwise I wouldn't have some of the greatest.

couldn´t find bach's air on any cd so i dl it, and haha, of course i know it, it´s one i adore very much (often used in funerals, at least here..)

not fair! i can´t find mozart's requiem, probably wont for a while, sigh.
but yes, it is indeed convenient about the prices of classical cds :)

This morning I woke up early and turned on the TV. Some cartoon was on, I think it was Charlie Brown. So I watched half-minded and dazed from sleep and all of a sudden it broke into Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata. It reminded me how good it was actually :D
Check it out if you haven't already!