Does "anyone" like Reroute?

Salamurhaaja said:
This be true, but I am more for stuff like Ghost In The Shell
and the earlier movie from the same people Patlabor 2 - The movie.
I think Akira is a bit over-rated, as an anime, I love the mange
version tho, it actually makes sense in that form, the movie is
just not enough to cover what is needed, I always had the
feeling they were supposed to make more of them.
As for what comes to Ghost In The Shell, there is a series out
now in japan, so far they have shown 18 episodes and I can
say it's very good, but in a different way from the movie and
of course in the series, the events of the movie haven't happened,
alternate time or something of that sort.

I guess Akira is my type of a movie... more gore and guts than Ghost in the Shell. :)
Was there a translation of the manga form of Akira? If there is, I would like to get a hold of it.
Are the 18 episodes in original Japanese or is there dubbing available for episodes of Ghost in the Shell?

Inflames626 said:
You've yet to say anything intelligent. Do not post here again unless you've something to contribute. Once again, accusations without merit and evidence, coming from a person who is too much of a coward to even tell anything about himself to justify his views.

Ok, if you feel that way, lets see if I can add something of value,
tho you will not like it, oh well, not my problem.

I must AGAIN point out that when it comes to OPINION
there is no need for evidence, I told you my opinion, thats my
evidence or are you claiming I don't know what I am thinking or
feeling?

And there is no need for me to tell you anything about myself to
"justify" my views, again by expressing my views, I have also
presented you with the evidence.

And how does not telling anything of myself make me a coward?
You think I am afraid you come over and beat me up or something?
I don't see anyone else asking me for info about me, except on
the view "get to know..." threads, not that I answer anything that
helpful on them either, but that is just me.

Is this registering anywhere or is that knop on top of you shoulders
nothing but bone?

Now, finally to my point, I told you I would add something to this
discussion, so I will, are you ready? Have some extra diapers ready.

You are a guitarist from what I gather, well, let me tell you the sad
truth about guitarists in a band and this goes for all other musicians
in bands as well... ready? You are replaceable, thats right, you are
replaceable. The only person in a band that cannot be replaced
is the vocalist, I can even prove this, check this out.

Kurt Cobain, singer for Nirvana, kills himself,
band dies.

Cliff Burton, bassist for Metallica, dies in a car accident,
band goes on.

Jim Morrison, singer for The Doors, dies in a bathtub in Paris,
band dies.

Slash & co, band for Guns N Roses leaves, "band" continues.

Bruce Dickinson, singer for Iron Maiden leaves the band,
band dies. (and don't try to give me any shit about Blaze, the
band was fucking dead, until Bruce came back.)

David Lee Roth, "leaves" Van Halen, band is dead.
(same shit as with Iron Maiden.)

The sad fact is, it don't matter how good or technical you are
as a player, it's the vocalist who makes the band and well, with
your attitude, I don't really know who would be willing to work
with you anyway.

And what comes to Kurt Cobain, I would give him a bit more
credit than what you have, just cos he rarely played anything
other than grunge, doesn't mean that he doesn't know how to,
it could be that, god forbid, he enjoys playing, not wanking.

(and btw, I write god with lower casel if I want to, you know which
one I am talking about, so I don't see any point in capitalizing it,
since you were looking at it so oddly last time.
And btw I don't believe in god or God, I bet that just makes your
sking crawl and I am excitedly waiting for the "oh you are such
a gothboy waah waah waah" reply.)

Damn, I am making almost as much sense with all this blabhering as
you are.

Arch said:
I guess Akira is my type of a movie... more gore and guts than Ghost in the Shell. :)

Well, true, GitS is more of a psychological movie. I do like both, I just
find Akira a bit loose ended. But they are both based on long running
mangas, so in that sense they are on even ground.

Arch said:
Was there a translation of the manga form of Akira?
If there is, I would like to get a hold of it.

Actually the movie is based on the manga, I bet you can find it
in english in a comic store, they have translated the books into
finnish, so I am sure they're in english as well.

Arch said:
Are the 18 episodes in original Japanese or is there dubbing available for episodes of Ghost in the Shell?

They have been fan subbed. I have 2 words for you eMule and
sharereactor.com (forum) :)

Salamurhaaja said:
Well, true, GitS is more of a psychological movie. I do like both, I just
find Akira a bit loose ended. But they are both based on long running
mangas, so in that sense they are on even ground.
Hmm, you're right Salamy. Akira is a bit loose ended. Perhaps it was meant for an open interpretation? No doubt GitS is a great anime.

Actually the movie is based on the manga, I bet you can find it
in english in a comic store, they have translated the books into
finnish, so I am sure they're in english as well.

They have been fan subbed. I have 2 words for you eMule and
sharereactor.com (forum) :)
Thanks for the info. I shall check it out asap.
Have you seen Blade Runner? Because I noticed some similarities in the themes of Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell.

Arch said:
Hmm, you're right Salamy. Akira is a bit loose ended. Perhaps it was meant for an open interpretation? No doubt GitS is a great anime.

Could be, would love to see it continue too.
If you like GitS, check out Patlabor 2 - The Movie from the same
people, Patlabor itself is nothing special, even tho it's good too,
but 2 is very very good, has an excellent mood setting scene in
it, if you ever see it, the scene starts with the snow.
Oh, there is plenty of other stuff from the same people that might
be worth checking out, Spriggan and Avalon (a real movie) are
both quite good. Can't off the top of my head remember the others
but there was quite many of them.
Avalon is from SR.com too, check it out, it's a real movie, but you
can tell it was made by anime people ;)

Arch said:
Thanks for the info. I shall check it out asap.

No worries, if you have questions, send me a PM and I will try to
help, if you haven't used eMule, there is a very good beginners
guide on SR.com, so check that out.

Arch said:
Have you seen Blade Runner? Because I noticed some similarities in the themes of Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell.

But of course I have seen it and yeah, but then, there is a lot
of movies like that, The Matrix being one of the movies that
basicly steals all it's ideas from other movies.
Speaking of Blade Runner, I don't like the director's cut version
where they removed Deckards "private eye talks", that always
made the movie a bit like the good old P.I. shows, like Hammer
and Magnum P.I. I know it's not a very popular view, but I
liked the damn voice overs hahaha even tho I have to admit
the ending is much better in the director's cut.

Anyway, it's 7:40am and I'm going to sleep ;)

Inflames626 said:
I'm really more interested in you going away and maybe getting a musical education, then coming back in a couple years. I suggest one of the following, as is available at www.mi.edu

muahaha... music profession: a profession where one does not need a degree to practice, unlike doctors and lawyers, etc.

SWEET! :tickled:

aside from having been diagnosed with chronic long-windedness, the reason why i ranted so much on this thread in the past couple of days is that i'm leaving today for a short break, and next wednesday i'll be leaving again for a slightly longer one. it somehow seemed appropriate to let you know how i felt about what's happening on this thread before i left, so that you could all disregard it completely feeling that sense of deep satisfaction that only conscious insubordination could provide. ;)

just joking. have fun.

Arch said:
People are called "trolls" left and right in here, since you haven't been here long enough, you wouldn't know.

True, but he had no way of knowing it beforehand, thus resulting in the misunderstanding at hand. I just realized we should have corrected it immediately, but I believe it is not too late to do it now.

For Inflames626: The word "troll" is used commonly on this forum, not as an insult, but as an honorific and as a friendly way of saying: "your opinion sucks" (among many other meanings). The only one who could feel insulted by Salamurhaaja's calling you a troll, is the Troll of this forum (Melancholia) herself, who perhaps doesn't want her title freely given to others. As I said, this is cultural thing (existing only in this community as far as I know) and thus you had a perfectly valid excuse to feel insulted - however, now that that is cleared up, you should have no reason at all to feel insulted anymore by anyone here calling you a troll.

You never rebuffed my "Wasted Years" "Sun Fired Blanks" comparison.

I rebuff it by saying: While The Sun Fired Blanks gives me shivers down my spine, raises my arm-hair up, makes my heart beat faster and brings the taste of adrenaline to my mouth - the Wasted Years does nothing at all (I count it a bad song even by Iron Maiden standards, which I think are pitifully low). Can you explain that, mr. Musician?

Oh, and while you are doing that, can you name me a song by any other band on earth, that brings the tears of joy to my eyes, evokes the feeling of complete blissfulness within me and makes me want to live longer just to be able to hear it again, like A Bolt of Blazing Gold? Or Punish My Heaven, Hedon, Nether Novas, Haven or Hours Passed in Exile for that matter? If you can, I will be in eternal gratitude to you. Note, however, that no song by Iron Maiden, Metallica, Death or Kreator (at least none of those I have heard, there might be some b-side tracks I'm not familiar with) do that for me, despite all the merits some of them (especially Death of those mentioned) have. A few old In Flames and Opeth tunes get close to that, but even then there's a difference I can sense. And I doubt any of your musical education has any effect on my feelings here.

About Akira: I must say I find the anime Akira rather weak. While I admit it must have been a milestone back when it was created and it is indeed visually impressive even by today's standards, it also represents some of the worst qualities in anime (IMHO, that is): A multilayered story that soon becomes completely incomprehensible (unless you know the manga) due to the time-limits of the motion picture (anyone seen X the movie? the manga and the TV-series are great, but the movie plain sucks; I've heard the same is true with Escaflowne); characters, whose motivations are never really revealed and an ending that doesn't make any sense.

I enjoyed Otomo's manga much more, although I must say that everyone should see the movie at least once to know what the hype is all about - just don't start your anime-hobby with it and don't expect all anime to be like that (as there are a lot of better ones).

Ghost in the Shell, on the other hand, works extremely well as an anime, IMHO - both the original movie and this later TV-series. They are very different in approach, though. Whereas the series attempts to grasp majority of the storyarc of the manga (which I do not like too much, since I simply don't find Shirow's humour too funny), the movie uses only a very short piece of the manga in a somewhat different setting (I recall it was placed into futuristic Hong Kong instead of Tokyo) and has a much more serious undertone, which I like a lot. The TV-series also manages to grasp a far bigger picture of the world of GitS, that the makers of the movie (Team Oshii) thankfully didn't even try to cover in the short movie. However, some of the artificial "funnyness" and filler episodes annoy me slightly (then again, very few anime-series are not like that).

I'll try to get back to this topic a bit later, as I just happen to enjoy talking about anime a lot nowadays, but as many of you know, my time is very limited.

Oh, and to Inflames626: While you can ignore us, we can also ignore you - the ability to ignore someone doesn't a thread-owner make. :p

-Villain

Reactions: rahvin
Oh, and feel free to contribute to our anime-discussion in this thread of ours. I would be especially interested in talking about music in anime (as very few anime-people seem pay much attention to music used in there, which I think is a pity, as several anime have excellent soundtracks: Jin-Roh, Evangelion and Miyu to name a few). Seriously.

-Villain

@Focus
Which of the endings do you mean?

The ending of the series is kind of an alternate ending,
the movie End Of Evangelion is the attempt from the
makers to fix that fuck up.

I don't know much about music in Anime, except from
Cowboy Bebop, which seems to play all the episodes
with music titles and such, it's true, I don't pay
enough attention I guess.
The only music related to anime I can remember is
KMFDM - Ultra which is playing on some promo :)
(which is also responsible for me to get my KMFDM
back, as I just saw that video recently.)

wildfyr said:
muahaha... music profession: a profession where one does not need a degree to practice, unlike doctors and lawyers, etc.

SWEET! :tickled:

I find it alarming that what doctors and lawyers do is called a "practice". :D

rahvin said:
aside from having been diagnosed with chronic long-windedness, the reason why i ranted so much on this thread in the past couple of days is that i'm leaving today for a short break, and next wednesday i'll be leaving again for a slightly longer one. it somehow seemed appropriate to let you know how i felt about what's happening on this thread before i left, so that you could all disregard it completely feeling that sense of deep satisfaction that only conscious insubordination could provide. ;)

just joking. have fun.

I know you won't be reading this by now, but try to have some fun on your break. Don't have too much fun, okay? :D

Take care.

@Villain (My favourite troll): I never really paid too much attention to the quality of the animation of Akira, but you're right. I've heard that the budget wasn't enough for the project. Kinda like the first season of The Simpsons. As for the story, I think it was rather good, but it would make more sense if it was slightly longer. Perhaps it was meant to be watched twice. Anyhow, The Special Edition Akira DVD has been out for a while, can't wait to save some cash to buy it. For the anime tunes, I like the theme to Gundam X for some reason. It's called "Dreaming." Theme to Voltron and Macross is pretty good and a classic.

@Salamy (another favourite troll): I'm looking at some review for Patlabor 2, and the artwork and visuals looks absolutely amazing. I hope the plot and storyline holds up just as good as the visuals. :)

@Arch
Well, the plotline is a hmm, bit of a cliche, but still a
very good movie in my opinion, the visuals in that one
scene are amazing, you will know, it's kinda similar to
the scene in GitS where they just show the town and
there is just music on it.

Oh, there is one anime that has a great opening title
and that is GitS the series, that sound is totally not
my type, but it's very very good :)

Salamurhaaja said:
@Focus
Which of the endings do you mean?

The ending of the series is kind of an alternate ending,
the movie End Of Evangelion is the attempt from the
makers to fix that fuck up.

I think it was the movie, wait series kinda. My brother bought back this huge 30 something + End Of Evangelion vcd o_O so I dont know which is which.

I only saw GitS and Jin-Roh on TV (they have this manga weekend here). But I kinda like Jin-Roh and can't seem to find the dvd here :erk:

As for anime music, I like Hellsing music (wait, i think it was the opening theme...).

I've seen very little anime, and less that would interest me. Quite a shame as I'm Asian. :p

I remember I liked My Neighbour Totoro and the Doromon(?) movie when I was a child (but I don't remember a lot about them).

The only anime movie I've recently watched and liked is Spirited Away. Anyone seen this movie before? It's incredible.
I love No Face and those chickie spirits. Also I enjoyed the references to mythology and legends in this movie.

Inflames626 said:
Mouse, what else are you into? I listen to a wide variety of metal at least, even have a Phil Collins CD, but I love my Metallica, I love my COC, and I love my classics.

I personally don't like COF, as I've listened, and the whole shock rock thing is kind of pathetic. Marylin Manson will look so "Kiss" in 20 years.
Late in replying.

Well, I like Down, COC (as well), David Gray, and a lot of others. I'm also getting into Black Metal. I admit I'm closed minded as I basically like only blues rock, and certain genres of metal (not hair, power metal, rap metal, etc.)... rarely any other stuff.

I've listened to Cradle of Filth and don't like them either. I also dislike Marilyn Manson and John Mayer. There are a bunch of other bands and "artists" I dislike for varying reasons, but it's too huge a list to name them all. :p

mousewings said:
The only anime movie I've recently watched and liked is Spirited Away. Anyone seen this movie before? It's incredible.

Seen it 2 times. Even got the dvd :loco: . The only thing that I remember is the scene that the little girl ran down the steps for the first time :lol: . I only wish I was a bit younger to really enjoy the movie :p . Over all, it's a good movie for kids & my nephew cant seem to stop watching it o_O

Personal tastes account for differences between wasted and sun, but both are basically pedal riffs, one tuned down a step and a half on the B string, i think, other in of course E minor.

I'm ignoring all the other threads tossed this way about the old argument, since I'm basically tired of discussing it, and I'm not going to change my mind about it.

As much as I generally disliked Gallery (breaking up of wayyyy too many cool parts to go "Rawrrrrrr *flurry of 16th notes*), "Silence, and Firmament..." is one of the best tracks, and the remainder of the album should have been that way. I'd like to cover it, if anyone finds any decent tabs for it (the link on site stopped working), please contact me via any method.

Basically tabs are a good way to start, assuming the author has a decent sense of pitch, and from there mistakes can be found. The only reason I don't want to do any pre-Mind's I DT on my own is, especially on Skydancer, a million parts that are different with every repetition, and the inability to separate those tracks from the individual mix means I've a good chance of playing it wrong, which I don't want to do.

Btw, Dividing Line pre-chorus sounds awfully Load-ish, Punish also sounds rather "Back to the Village"-ish or maybe even "Flash of the Blade"...

I've always wondered why bands didn't heavy-up "Powerslave", best Maiden track IMO.

I'm glad you're having fun discussing anime in my thread.