Does Death Suck?

yea, scream bloody gore is no good...just straight up thrash/death metal

symbolic is easily their best album in my opinion and probably thier proggiest (word?)....check out "symbolic", "crystal mountain" and "sacred serenity"...then get the sound of perseverence...more technical than symbolic in my opinion

symbolic is one of my top 10 cd's

Here's how I see Death's progression with each album:

Scream Bloody Gore - Two killer songs, the rest is listenable, but not very interesting.

Leprosy: Much better than SBG and almost every song has good moments. As a whole this is quite an average album to me.

Spiritual Healing: Really good as a whole. Death is beginning to show the progressive elements in music, but the rawness from early days is still there. I like this one very much.

Human: Good album. Really progressive stuff. Still I haven't listened to this one very much. Cosmic Sea is one of my all-time favourite instrumentals though.

Individual Thought Patterns: Even more progressive and techical stuff. This is maybe my favourite Death album, because each song is just marvellous. Trapped In Corner is one of my all-time favourite songs (by any band).

Symbolic: This album is the reason why I don't listen to Human very much. Sounds much like Human, but is better. In other words, if I have to choose which one to listen, I choose Symbolic.

Originally posted by Fyhed
also the drums on Human are by far the best on any death album IMO......Sean Reinart is a king!!!!!

I agree, Sean is way fucking cool...

Cynic is GREAT!

You guys ever heard of eventide? They fucking rock! There's a tune on their excellent demo called Blank that just completely blows my mind.

Satori

Originally posted by samoniac
Here's how I see Death's progression with each album:

Scream Bloody Gore - Two killer songs, the rest is listenable, but not very interesting.

Leprosy: Much better than SBG and almost every song has good moments. As a whole this is quite an average album to me.

Spiritual Healing: Really good as a whole. Death is beginning to show the progressive elements in music, but the rawness from early days is still there. I like this one very much.

Human: Good album. Really progressive stuff. Still I haven't listened to this one very much. Cosmic Sea is one of my all-time favourite instrumentals though.

Individual Thought Patterns: Even more progressive and techical stuff. This is maybe my favourite Death album, because each song is just marvellous. Trapped In Corner is one of my all-time favourite songs (by any band).

Symbolic: This album is the reason why I don't listen to Human very much. Sounds much like Human, but is better. In other words, if I have to choose which one to listen, I choose Symbolic.

I have to disagree with these ...

-->"Leprosy" is a great death metal album. Death started to show some progressive elements, that's why Rick Rozz left the band at the end of the Leprosy tour, he couldn't play the new stuff ! For the guitarists in here, just try to play Pull The Plug ... :) difficult enough for a 19-year old boy to compose ...

-->"Human" is the best Death album in my opinion. It's the only album I've heard that is so brutal and so technical. Everyone is playing unbelieveably and the lineup is GREAT! This is one of the few albums where ALL songs are GREAT ...

I dont like your 19 year old comment =(

I was a 19 year old and i was playing spirit crusher and scavenger of human sorry, and i know 15 year olds that can play fucking paganni on the guitar so age is really not something to be pointed out for either technical ability or composing skills.

Originally posted by Trapped

I am an avid death fan... but to be honest, Scream Bloody Gore is the worst album in my collection by ANY band. :lol:

Steer clear of Atheist's "Peice of Time" too, it's like old slayer.. their other two albums are awesome tho.

Woah.. two of my favorite albums of all time. I recently dug out Piece Of Time and I was astounded at how fresh this album still sounds.

Death managed to keep a lid on the "muso" shite in future albums for the most part but Athiest disappeared so far up their own asses you would have needed a torch and a Canary to find 'em again.. Egomaniacal, pointless fret-wankery and drop-dead signature changes are neither big nor clever. Just very cunty indeed.

Originally posted by Misanthrope

I was a 19 year old and i was playing spirit crusher and scavenger of human sorry, and i know 15 year olds that can play fucking paganni on the guitar so age is really not something to be pointed out for either technical ability or composing skills.

I think you don't get me...I said to compose,to write ... not play
I can play Yngwie Malmsteen or Hangar 18 but I don't think to write this kind of material ...

Originally posted by Satori
Hey, I bought a CD because some people here said Death is really proggy amazing stuff. I don't agree, they sound more like an early slayer with bad lyrics.

It's ok, kinda silly but it gets the blood going (like slayer), but proggy? I don't see it that much really. Maybe my standards for "proggy" have become higher than average (Opeth has set the bar pretty high).

Satori
the only death album i own is the sound of perserverance and its very experimental, melodic, progressive, catchy, and heavy sounding. a great album. it seems that alot of reviews call it their masterpiece too. i would recommend it based on what u said. ive heard their older stuff like bloody gore is straight up death metal.

Death was indeed a death metal band (are they the ones death metal was named after?) that got better and better through the years.. Chuck became a great guitarist (on his own), and he always had GREAT musicians by his side. Symbolic (Hoglan kicks ass..) is still my favourite Death album (Individual Thought Patterns closely follows) and it's some progressive death shit.. Here's a list of their latest 3 albums (the prog ones :)):

The Sound Of Perseverance (1998):
Chuck Schuldiner: Vocals, Guitars
Richard Christy: Drums
Scott Clendenin: Bass
Shannon Hamm: Guitars

Symbolic (1995):
Kelly Conlon: Bass
Gene Hoglan: Drums
Bobby Koelble: Guitars

Individual Thought Patterns (1993):
Steve DiGiorgio: Bass
Gene Hoglan: Drums
Andy LaRocque: Guitars

Get all of them!

I´ve been listening to Death for 10-12 years now and must say that my favourite album still is Human. But I can´t say that I thinkany of the album is bad though, just different from each other. =)
We played "Pull the plug" live a couple of weeks ago. A pretty nice tune... ;P

Originally posted by Misanthrope

He's Right!!!!!!!!! I am 15 .. and my band does sound check with pull the plug .... our music is more simple than that song but we like to practice really crazy songs so then when we play our own shit live it's nothin we can go crazy and shit like that .. pull the plug is not a hard song to play dude ..

Originally posted by Devastator

I think you don't get me...I said to compose,to write ... not play
I can play Yngwie Malmsteen or Hangar 18 but I don't think to write this kind of material ...

Bullshit i still think you dont have to be 30 to be a great composer a 19 year old is perfectly capable of composing masterpieces, is just that 19 year olds dont CARE about composing masterpieces ( usually ) but it doesnt means they cant.