Does Metal Have Positive or Negative Impact on Society?

I guess black metal has had a negative impact on Norwegian society due to all the violence associated with it, but that's about it.

The only impact metal has are the teen angst kids with "social problems" who act like their life sucks, and puts on this gimmick that they are these hardcore anarchists, and make adults think that ALL teenagers are angsty and hate their parents, so the politicians and such think metal is a satanic, demonic genre of music that brainwashes kids, which I think is bullshit.

So I say it's negative, but not so visible to society.

I'd say that faggy poser metal (slipknot, bullet for my emo, etc) has a negative impact because people have to put up with moronic 15 year olds with died black hair sitting around the mall, but aside from that there's no real impact aside from scaring the shit out of people every once in a while and being awesome in movie soundtracks.

I'd say that faggy poser metal (slipknot, bullet for my emo, etc) has a negative impact because people have to put up with moronic 15 year olds with died black hair sitting around the mall, but aside from that there's no real impact aside from scaring the shit out of people every once in a while and being awesome in movie soundtracks.

Yeah, I'm 15, and I'm sick of these conformist metal band followers giving 15 year old metalheads like me a bad name. Because they want revenge on their parents for now treating them like they want to be treated. Well, you know what?? Parents are supposed to tell you what to do because you're a stupid teenager!! (Not you WAIF, although you are slightly retarded IMO)

I come off as slightly retarded online because I can't be bothered to phrase my opinions as well as I should.
In person I'm cool. People should hang out with me.

I come off as slightly retarded online because I can't be bothered to phrase my opinions as well as I should.
In person I'm cool. People should hang out with me.

I wasn't saying that you actually are, I'm just judging from your posts. :)

Friends?? :lol:

ok it seems like the answer's a resounding no so here's a better question: could there ever be a time where metal does have a severe impact on society? is it by nature on the fringe, always lurking in the shadows, or could it conceivably come to the fore, gather numbers behind it, all that jazz, without changing into something virtually unrecognisable? if not why not (maybe this is obvious, but still)? if so, what kind of impact might it have then?

Since when do you try to steer threads either ON TOPIC or ONTO INTERESTING TANGENTIALLY RELATED TOPICS? wtf happened to you?

Anyway, I don't think metal will ever have a noticeable effect on society, also sociology is gay.

ok it seems like the answer's a resounding no so here's a better question: could there ever be a time where metal does have a severe impact on society? is it by nature on the fringe, always lurking in the shadows, or could it conceivably come to the fore, gather numbers behind it, all that jazz, without changing into something virtually unrecognisable? if not why not (maybe this is obvious, but still)? if so, what kind of impact might it have then?
I really doubt it. What the majority of people want from music is not given to them by metal. The only time metal was popular it was in such a watered down state that most fans of metal today don't like it. If somehow magically metal became popular as it is today I don't it would change society much, although I could see some desensitization to controversial topics like religion and death.

What the majority of people want from music is not given to them by metal.

This is probably one of the most accurate statements on this thread. The reverse is true as well, what metal fans want from music is NOT given to them by "pop music" (Pretty much anything played on the radio). Country, hip-hop, pop music of the boy band/americon idol strains, etc really is all [pop] music.
Since the majority of the population, especially in America, is so dumbed down that simplistic repetitive feel-happy/sad music is all it takes to pacify the average persons thirst for orchistrated sound.
[Good] metal definitely blows by pop music with depth and energy that most people can't understand much less handle.
Of course terms like good,depth, and energy can all be subjective. Which is way they are debatable :rolleyes:

Given that most Norwegians aren't religious people anyway, I doubt it.

It doesn't just affect the people who go to church. It could create more tensions between Christians and atheists in general, or between Christians and Satanists.

I doubt it has any impact on society since it isn't very popular. On individual people I guess it depends on the person and how seriously they take music. Whether they consider it entertainment or their whole existence.

ok it seems like the answer's a resounding no so here's a better question: could there ever be a time where metal does have a severe impact on society?

There's only one way.
GlenBentonForPresident.png

I'd say that faggy poser metal (slipknot, bullet for my emo, etc) has a negative impact because people have to put up with moronic 15 year olds with died black hair sitting around the mall,

bullet for my emo...haha sorry but I like them. they were one of the first bands I listened to and actually liked the screaming,

after BFMV, I don't much attention to bands such as Korn, Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, The Devil Wears Prada etc...all of those bands are practically callings for teenagers that follow trends.

I see the mallcore kids when I walk by hot topic. they're funny. :lol: