Downloading/Pirating Music.

I download albums to see if I want to buy them. I buy on average 50 metal albums per year and I've been burned way too many times in the past. Before the internet I used to blindly buy new albums just on recommendations from the various mail order catalogs that existed around the U.S. However I wasted tons of money because a lot of these albums were not to my liking. By downloading I can choose which albums to buy.

Downloading most music is ok with me. When you go to the store most CD's only have one or two good songs. But, when it comes to bands of similar quality as Symphony X then I buy the CD. With bands like Symphony X and Dream Theater you can basicly expect the entire album to be well done and worth your money.

I don't see the point in downloading a whole album. It's ok with me if you download only a few tracks, that's what I used to do. Many people think why buy an album when you can download it "for free". One reason why I buy CD's is that I don't just want to have the music, I want to have all the artwork, the real CD etc... And if you know your favourite band's music well, I think you don't have to download it just to see if it's good. I know that my favourite bands won't let me down...

Interesting fact: I don't own any Symphony X's albums, YET...

Some people do get out of control with downloading entire albums, but I think for underground genres like what we listen to it's essential to download songs; it's not like we're going to hear Symphony X on a mainstream radio station anytime soon. I know I wouldn't know of 95% of the bands I listen to now without downloading. I won't lie. I do download a lot of albums, but with every intention of owning the cd if I love it or deleting it if I think it's garbage. And although I may not buy *every* single CD I like (particularly if it's hard to find in the US), I do support my favorite bands through merchandise and concerts (and hey, they actually get more money from those over CDs).

Tubbs Mcgee said:
:OMG: Uh oh... you're in big trouble!!!

Heh, I hope I'm not :err:. I WILL buy all of them as soon as I have "the time and the money".
I've borrowed some of Sym X's CD's from the library and listened to them. I basicly first listened to the Midi-files and that way learned to like this music.

Some people d/l to check out a band and buy, and I get that. Some people put themselves first every time and screw anyone they have to to save a buck. These are the people I wish would fuck off and go rip off some other industry. Even when given the opportunity to support the artist directly, some will still screw them. I remember a guy telling me he downloaded my album and wrote to say that he loved it. I was left wondering "Am I supposed to say thanks?!?".

Others d/l and justify it to themselves or others by saying they'll see the band or buy a t-shirt. I'm pretty sure if the bands thought that was cool then all t-shirts would come with free CDs. Alternatively, I'd like to ask people with 400 d/l-ed albums in their "collection" if they have 400 t-shirts to match it. If the answer is yes, you'd be the first I've ever heard of.

Another justification is that band's only make their money on the road anyway. It just aint so for many acts on the way up.

I think the only cool way about it is to put your money where your love is, because that's what the band did.

In general the opinions of others jive with my own here. It's simply true that, with so much bland or just plain bad music, you just cant go to the store and buy something whilst retaining even a semblance of a chance it will be decent. The way I do it; I look at opinions, word of mouth, and then download. It's not uncommon for me to swipe entire albums this way in torrents or whatnot (or even entire discographies!). That said, I dont have the space or will or care to archive an ever increasing catalog of music I don't like; most of it gets deleted after a listen. I probably retain about 2% of the music I download.

A good example recently is Tool. I had heard a bit of it before of course, I finally got around to finding it for myself. It was brought to my attention by a friend again the other day. Easily found the entire discography, had it within an hour, started listening. I can appreciate the work but I simply don't like most of it. It's still around, but I wont retain all that if I dont listen to it.

Just today I picked up another Symphony X CD, Divine Wings of Tragedy special edition. I had had the original version way back, friend got a hold of it and etc (you know how that is, lol). Of course I still had all the downloaded songs on my hard disk, thats how I was exposed in the first place. Well, now that I bought it I ripped it all at 320kbps (lmao), I have a nice actual CD for the collection, and I feel the artist gets whats due. That's the way it should be, pay for what you feel is worth paying for. Anyway. Just from The Accolade and Divine Wings alone, I'm happy to pay for that twice and I'd pay for it a third time because I enjoy this stuff and its my pleasure to give back for it. Make quality music, you get paid, I think thats the way it really works despite all of the piracy. Piracy is here to stay but luckily I think its true that it has its merits and the talented people are still successful. I look at the internet not as offering individuals a way to steal, but more so stripping the industry of its ability to fool us into buying sad music that we couldnt listen to first. Of course its abused, but thats really it I think. If not for the net and illegal downloads, it would be less money coming out of my pocket, and I think that's true of more people than is assumed.

But that's just my take on it. I'm not an industry analyst or whatever, I just listen to some music.

Josh

OMG we have the same first name lmao!

Sorry, I didn't bother looking at the rest of the post because big posts bore me. No, I don't have a.d.d. or bipolar, but big posts just... bore me.

- I'm bored by big posts, the Somewhat Fat Guitarist

i think downloading albums, in moteration, is ok. IF you balance it out by supporting artists, especially those who are not 'in the eye of the media.' ie, symphony x probably doesn't collect 7 figures every album they drop, so you should buy they're album. metallica has a huge fan base on the other hand. so i wouldn't feel so guilty if i downloaded there next album. also, in a way the internet sort of balances pirating. if a band isn't popular, there stuff won't be easily downloaded, and more albums will be bought. if a band is popular, there stuff will be everywhere, and hardcore fans will still buy there albums. oh jeez i'm rambling. :confused: