Illegal downloading / file sharing / pirating...

Dear Pyra-fans,

so, my first post here. not quote all of it, but i will say: i can imagine. i know that there will only 5-10% of the amount of selled cd´s goes to the band. i know that nowadays bands only can live, when they live in a tourbus (see Moonspell). thats sad. and i dont like guys who download an album und never buy it.
i must say, that i have downloaded it 2 weeks ago...im very sorry for that, really, now when i read that you guys angry about that. but i PROMISE that i will buy the original on friday. thats what i always do.
it was a mere chance that i found it on the internet. i googled for "pyramaze immortal" to get maybe some first reviews, knowing that some online-mags could have a promo of it. i found a torrent and thought "oh dear". im not downloading songs, only it is a band i really love and they have new stuff on the way. its only a case of being impatient. very impatient. hours are changing to days and days changes into weeks for me, when i must wait for something.
irreperable features of my character.

i really, really promise, that i will buy the album, because you guys deserve to live from your music and i alwas buy originals. thats the fact. i dont want to annoy someone.
in my case, the burned cd of the downloaded copy is always for my car :headbang:

so, wish you guys all the best and that you find a new singer very fast. for me, matt should stay with you guys. your album kicks ass. for me the masterpiece of 2008...

yours
wolfhearted

It's nice too see an artist actually talking about this subject.
It's a bit controversial and most people refuse to discuss it properly.

My point of view is simple: downloading music has its pros and cons. True. I think most people should use it with a hand in the conscience and use it responsibly.
I just see my situation. I study, I don’t work. So I don’t earn my money. My parents give me 30€ per month to spend on whatever I like. A CD here costs 18€-20€. Make your count. If I never downloaded music, I would barely listen to it. I wouldn’t listen to 10% of what I listen now, and I wouldn’t know 1/100 of what I know today, even more on Metal matter. Maybe I wouldn’t have gone to half the concerts I already went.
I buy when I can, it’s simple. When I have some spare money, I just go to a store and buy. I doubt a band is prejudiced if I download something I can’t buy in either way.
I can’t afford spending money on something I don’t know or risking buying something I don’t know if I’m going to like. So the Internet helps me on that.
I would never had the opportunity to hear about Pyramaze and being now able to say “I loved it” if I didn’t have the Internet. That’s the truth, even more here in Portugal we don’t have much opportunity to know about Metal news as it isn’t correctly supported by most types of media.

WHAT makes me angry is:
1) People who download but never buy anything or could buy more. Everything must be made depending on their own possibilities.
2) The fact the band receives only a really small percentage of the price of a CD, and that disgusts me.

After I’ll buy the new CD of Testament, Immortal by Pyramaze will be my next purchase.

Keep the good work!

It's nice too see an artist actually talking about this subject.
It's a bit controversial and most people refuse to discuss it properly.

My point of view is simple: downloading music has its pros and cons. True. I think most people should use it with a hand in the conscience and use it responsibly.
I just see my situation. I study, I don’t work. So I don’t earn my money. My parents give me 30€ per month to spend on whatever I like. A CD here costs 18€-20€. Make your count. If I never downloaded music, I would barely listen to it. I wouldn’t listen to 10% of what I listen now, and I wouldn’t know 1/100 of what I know today, even more on Metal matter. Maybe I wouldn’t have gone to half the concerts I already went.
I buy when I can, it’s simple. When I have some spare money, I just go to a store and buy. I doubt a band is prejudiced if I download something I can’t buy in either way.
I can’t afford spending money on something I don’t know or risking buying something I don’t know if I’m going to like. So the Internet helps me on that.
I would never had the opportunity to hear about Pyramaze and being now able to say “I loved it” if I didn’t have the Internet. That’s the truth, even more here in Portugal we don’t have much opportunity to know about Metal news as it isn’t correctly supported by most types of media.

WHAT makes me angry is:
1) People who download but never buy anything or could buy more. Everything must be made depending on their own possibilities.
2) The fact the band receives only a really small percentage of the price of a CD, and that disgusts me.

After I’ll buy the new CD of Testament, Immortal by Pyramaze will be my next purchase.

Keep the good work!

Hey man, :worship::worship: that is the EXACT thing i was trying to say from the beginning, you found the correct words. Rock on :headbang:

Thank you.

Beside that, the truth is that when I have money, I sometimes prefer 10x times to go to a concert or buy merchandise (T-shirts, etc) than actually buying a CD, because I know the band will have better profit from it.
I try to do my best to balance everything. I have more or less 100 original CDs, what I can say isn't bad at all regarding how much money I receive per month.
When I'll have a job and I'll earn my money, I'll surely be able to buy much more and support the bands much better, but for now... I just do what I can.
Before this Summer I only had a few original CDs, but then I went work for 4 months on my University's holidays, and after I earned some money I spent more or less 300€ in CDs, that I ordered online for 5-15€ (on normal stores they are 18€-20€). So you can see I don't download because I'm a bad person that wants to fuck music industry, but because I simply can't afford more on normal times!

AAAAAAND more... if you come to Portugal or even sometimes Spain to play a concert, I must say: I'll be there supporting you as a true fan. And in my opinion that is much more important. I already saw over 30 bands with mondial fame (Megadeth, Blind Guardian, Helloween, Jon Oliva's Pain, Silent Force, DGM, Kreator, Stratovarius, Annihilator, Onslaught, Primal Fear, Destruction, Testament, Edguy, and much, much more, just to state some I liked the most, and this Summer I will be able to add some more) and much more with just a few fame or none at all (national, local, or some international not very known). I'm already doing my best to support metal. I do things that many people doesn't do. Even if there is a small concert here with bands I don't know or are from a kind of metal I don't particullarly like (that includes some Brutal Death Metal), I am most of times there watching and applauding.
Some of us don't have money to everything, and buy every CD, but that doesn't mean we aren't there supporting you with all our heart and soul.

I doubt a band is prejudiced if I download something I can’t buy in either way.
That's another good point...not every download is a lost sale, most likely far from it. But like I said earlier, it's impossible to quantify how many illegal downloads hurt the band, and how many ultimately help the band, or neither. Record companies believe they can quantify it, but lets be honest, they're a little biased ;) You can't pin declining record sales entirely on downloading...other factors come into play, like the cheap, disposable nature of most mainstream bands nowadays...and the fact that people have so many more options to spend their entertainment dollar on.

I downloaded the cd...because I haven't found it in a store yet and there's no way I could go weeks or possibly months without hearing it just because local stores are pathetic at getting new metal. When I find it, I will buy it. Hell, I'll probably buy a few copies for friends. That said, if it weren't for downloaded music I would have never even heard of Pyramaze in the first place.

As for the entire "if you can afford a computer you can afford a cd" debate? When I was in college my mom bought my computer and my internet service was part of my tuition. I worked 40 hour weeks on illustration projects (let alone other classwork) so that I passed my portfolio review and was awarded the bachelors degree that I was bankrupting my family to receive. (college isn't cheap, but without it options in my field are pretty damn shallow). Needless to say I had no time for a job.

When I was in college I had zero money to my own name. I am however completely obsessed with music. Without music, I would have never finished a single illustration, let alone the five years I had to spend at the university. My options were download, or go without, and fry.

Now I'm out of school and I have a job. I've been slowly buying every cd I have ever downloaded and it's well worth it. Nothing can top having the artwork and the physical disc. If I didn't do this I could have a new car already, but I simply have to buy the cds. So say what you will, but dont condemn everyone that downloads when they have to and buys as soon as they can.

Hmmm such an even debate on the question "Would the industry be better with or without the leaks etc?"

There is no solution, nor control over leaking. It is simply up to the fans and their support towards the people they look up to and respect. Basically the ones that make damn good music. Which i fail to do a lot, unfortunately. But i plan to get my hands on a real copy of Immortal very soon.

So much metal to enjoy, which means so much $$$. If you have every single album by a band, but say physically buy 2 or 3 you like the most would that be ok?

ordered my original yesterday via amazon. might have it on monday. i see no problem for everyone buying an original cd of the band you love/like. 17€ are not that much (unemployed or not)
i only download, when the cd is not yet released but available 2 weeks before release.

While the price of 1 cd is not much, look at it like this, pretty much everyone has hundreds of cd's that he likes and wants to listen to, and that's a hell lot of money that most cannot afford, definately not in a short time. I think it's ok to download as long as you make at least some effort to buy cd's, even if it's only 1 cd a month. That much everyone can afford. As long as you do that, and do plan on buying the albums, even if it will take several years, I don't see the harm in downloading music.
The only problem is those who download, and don't buy any cd's at all and don't ever plan to buy them. Those people either don't realise that there are people who actually worked hard and spent a lot of money on these albums and deserve the money they worked for, or they just don't care, and that's just fucked up.

Well that being said "Those people either don't realise that there are people who actually worked hard and spent a lot of money on these albums and deserve the money they worked for" Fair enough but my friend influenced me by saying

"I would care more if they weren't millionaires, James Hetfield doesn't need my money":lol:

I can kinda see where he is coming from and i can understand that he can't afford to pay because he doesn't have a job but he does occasionally buy an album or 2 (the odd Opeth album)

Thats just a different perspective!

Also what are some peoples thoughts on buying from second hand shops? None of the money from that purchase goes to the band? Should it be aloud? :p

:kickass:

I also wouldn't buy an album from a really huge band just to support them or whatever. Only if it's an album I really really want, because otherwise I'd rather support smaller bands. There are very very few metal bands that its members are actually rich. Most of them hardly make enough money from music to cover the expenses (if at all).
Buying second hand doesn't support the band, so if you do want to buy an album so that you can support a band you should buy first hand, but there's nothing morally wrong with buying second hand albums, and definately nothing illegal with it.

It'd be sweet if I could just download the album and paypal you 5 bucks or something.

But I've yet to hear the new album, and I'm down for purchasing it the old fashioned way. can't wait to hear it.

Well, i just have to say the next.I downloaded the CD, i heard it (and i fuckin' love it!!!!!!) i have the money (i got it teaching maths/phisics/whatever here, that helps a lot), i REALLY wanna buy it...but i haven't any way of VISA or any other to buy it...i live in Chile (south-america), and i want to know if someday i'll find the CD in stores to buy it :S....i wanna have that album!!! FUCK, I WANNA HAVE IT! :mad::mad::mad:...damn it!

Well, I'm not gonna lie, I downloaded the cd. And I have the money.

But the CD's are just not around here. I dont have a credit card so I can't order it online. (Being a student and Turkish does not help you order online) There in no way that I can actually buy the CD.

Hopefully, when I come to US this year I will be able to buy the CD. But the only way I can listen to you guys is downloading it.

Surely if we can get online we can purchase online... you don't need a visa.

Here's an option;

I may be wrong but to be a member of PayPal you don't need a visa but just able to transfer funds online. If you have a bank account - get yourself access to it online through your bank... is very easy! Then sign up for PayPal. When you make an online purchase PayPal deducts the dollars from your account. For those of you with internet banking concerns (as I initially was) it's pretty security rigid these days!

Then buy the album off eBay and make payment via PayPal. DAMN EASY!!!!!

I know the records are often priced high when they first arrive but for anyone downloading who thinks they can't buy the album, wait for additional copies to available then purchase off eBay. Works for me!

Not many available on eBay yet but soon will be! Just make sure ya buy em from a recognized store and not second hand :)

I dont think I can transfer funds online, what I have is an ATM card (dependent on my family) and I hate online shopping, too unsecure for me.

I'm just gonna buy it in the US.

yeah i downloaded it, but i listened to it a little then i deleted all songs except for Year of The Phoenix and Caramon's Poem. Will be more exciting getting the CD now won't it!

omg who is Caramon I want to meet him/her

"BORN, As a twin, LOOKS TOO THE TWIIIILIGHT HOUR!"
that the lyrics? muahah im way off aren't I!!!:p

Michael told me to ask my music store to order in albums that they don't keep in stock,
thats how I am getting mine u should try!!!