Illegal downloading / file sharing / pirating...

I let the local metal store here know about Immortal coming out the 24 of June. Plus Locomotive has good US distro, there's two metal stores here, one local, one a Cd Exchange but the manager loves metal, and they each have Locomotive releases. I'm pretty excited. Release dates are fun, I don't mind waiting if I know I can get the album THE DAY IT IS RELEASED. What I used to fucking despise and loathe was having a cd come out in Europe.... then it ships to the US vendor, then it ships to me like 6 weeks after it came out.

YAHOOOOOOOO, i finally ordered, i did it in a local metal store where they import the CD when it's ready. I have to say that FUCK, the cost was huge. about 25-27 dollars...fuck, i love Pyramaze :rofl:

Many people are saying that it's bad that people are downloading albums for free, never buying them. But really, I think that these people would never buy these albums anyway. These people are too stingy to buy album, because it, obviously, costs money. So if someone downloads the whole discography/album from one band without really knowing a shit about them, is it really harmful? Even though this guy wouldn't buy these albums back, it really doesn't hurt the band if he wouldn't buy these anyway. This guy can still buy merchandises or go to the gig. There is always a way to listen some album without paying from it, though it's unlikely that it'd be this easy one. Many people aren't buying something that they don't know what it contains. (And please, I don't really want to hear if you do this.) At least I'm not buying something that I've never heard of. Well, the new albums from good band are most likely outside of this, but I mean completely new band for me.

Someone earlier in this thread said:
"Think about it another way: if you see some clothes/shoes/... you want to have and you can't afford them, would you steal them?"

No, I'd consider this as trying those clothes on, and then leaving them there if they wouldn't be enough good for me. If I wouldn't have money for those clothes, I wouldn't buy them. If I had money in the moment and I'd like from those clothes, I'd buy them. That simple.

If my theory would be water-proof, the only thing to prevent this is to stop illegal downloading completely, which may be a bit hard. :p

Personally I think that I'm in the class "that buys the albums that are worth of buying". I don't have enough money to buy them all, so I'm at least trying to make up a bit of it. I've bought some albums without even knowing anything about them, since I really don't download that much anymore. Thank my computer from that, since it's really pain in the ass to use this. :p

And no, I haven't downloaded or bought the Immortal yet. I didn't download it because I didn't want to get "spoiled" from what it's like. :p I was planning to order it from internet, but not until I have money.

And this seems to be pretty common way to think, so sorry if this was only repeating.. I didn't read the whole thread, forgive me.

Thread ended!
the whole process of selling of the CDs makes it all so $$$ and most of our money goes elsewhere instead of to the bands.

If the money went direct (as in $1.50 or whatever) i would own absolutely every bit of my music.

I really want to buy The Glorious Burden - Iced Earth. but at the moment $39.99 is an insane price to be paying, and that would be the reason people are put off by buying and download it instead.

"This is the Queer of the Phoenix" :p:oops::err:

I really want to buy The Glorious Burden - Iced Earth
Why would you want to do that?
surp_puzzled.gif

j/k, to each his own
wink2.gif
But $39.99 is a bit pricey, is that a special edition or something? I don't remember how much I paid for my copy (yes, I bought it, without having downloaded it first even, which is pretty much the reason why I don't buy albums without downloading them first anymore :)) but it sure wasn't that expensive, and that was on the release date. You'd think the price would have dropped by now.

Well $39.99AUD (Australian) i have downloaded but its a shit rip and quality is poor, so i thought what a perfect chance to put some support towards them and ACTUALLY buying it!!!

Green Face
The Reckoning
When the Eagle Cries

they are excellent tracks in my opinion and there are a few other really good songs and maybe it is better then Framing Armaggeddon :err:

Well, I'm not gonna lie, I downloaded the cd. And I have the money.

But the CD's are just not around here. I dont have a credit card so I can't order it online. (Being a student and Turkish does not help you order online) There in no way that I can actually buy the CD.

Hopefully, when I come to US this year I will be able to buy the CD. But the only way I can listen to you guys is downloading it.

I've been following this forum since the day it's opened but that's my first post here:D same thing here brother... I buy original CD's whenever i can but not all albums come to turkey for example i could only find Iced Earth's Alive In Athens and Horror Show CDs and The Dark Saga album (in cassette format:D)so I bought them on the spot I also own Megadeth's all Remaster Series back catalog and a few CDs of Therion, Death and some local bands and artists (the ones i could find at the record store)... I found about the band while i was fooling around the internet and found out that Matt Barlow has returned to the music scene by joining a band called Pyramaze!! and yeah i downloaded the album but i'll buy it when it comes here and i think that will take about 1,5 or 2 months :erk: taking the fact that Testament released their latest album on 29 april and it's just recently arrived here... oh well.. better late than never :)

Hey everyone. I've recently found Pyramaze and i think they are fucking great :headbang::headbang::worship:. That being said i don't know if i would've gone out on a whim and purchased the albums just because they were mentioned under the broad banner of power metal. I tend to justify this download business as other people in this thread do - I download the album to see if it is anygood (have been put off buying albums without listening to them first) and if i like it, i will buy it.
And I am glad to say that Pyramaze will be receiving money from me in the near future :kickass: as i will definitely purchase both LOTBC and Immortal. The artwork is wicked as well.

Check out Power Quest too for those of you who haven't - the new album Master of Illusion is out now and IMO is absolutely amazing

One of the real problems is that cd's are leaked before they come out. Whether it is a promo copy sent to someone or whatever. If Immortal wasn't leaked early then no one would've been tempted to download it, but it is to hard [for me at least] to resist that temptation of what does the new Pyramaze sound like. I did actually download it before I bought it off Itunes. I wanted to make sure it was what I was expecting and well Immortal was far greater than my expectations... to say the least. Immortal was the best 10 dollars I've spent in some time. What a great cd.

I did actually download it before I bought it off Itunes.
So... you bought it off Itunes? Does that mean you just have "legal" mp3's sitting on your hard drive now, and you don't have the nice packaging with the booklet and the cover art and everything?

heres my opinion on this matter...
yes i do pirate music but seeing as im a metal listener most of the things i listen to are not sold in ur average cd store...
things i truly love even tho i have already downloaded them i will still buy them
like iced earth cd's, immortal i have bought, a few slayer cd's, lamb of god cd's
shit i had the iced earth framing Armageddon cd that was leaked like a month before the actual release... i listened to it and it was amazing so i bought the cd the hour it came out...

majority of the music i listen to are smaller or underground except for a select few so i have no chance of buying their things unless i go on ebay... which i dont trust ebay so its either pirate or sit and stare at a wall...

sooo... in conclusion pirate all u want but if u truly do like the music PLEASE buy the album... and if u cant... continue to support the band atleast

So... you bought it off Itunes? Does that mean you just have "legal" mp3's sitting on your hard drive now, and you don't have the nice packaging with the booklet and the cover art and everything?
Hehe, good point...I mean it's all personal preference anyway, but for me I'd much rather have the physical product and all that goes with it, and rip the MP3s myself if needed.

I'm curious though, does iTunes even offer the MP3 format? I thought they only offered AAC, MP4, or some format that had certain restrictions/limitations.

Yeah i don't think they're in mp3 of iTunes,

how much money off a $30 album goes to the band and how much does the $20 iTunes download go to them?

its gay that the bands make shit all,
i think the record companies should make online stores and sell the bands shit and more money will go to the band and less to the stores etc