downloading vs buying

Just thought of something else... I don't burn CDr's... I'll d/l MP3's just to check the band out... I think I've burned maybe ONE CDr and that's only because I love the band and haven't had the money to go ahead and buy the album (which I will)... I rarely listen to music at my computer so I don't feel too bad about this... (Unlike most of you guys and gals who seem to listen to music continuously, heh heh...) I do most of my listening in the car...

Sometimes I burn mixed cdrs for when I'm going out for a very long time and want something to listen to. For some reason I'm paranoid about bringing my original Cds out with me. The cdrs usually include mp3's I've downloaded.

I use all my money on either cds or concerts, but I don't have enough money to buy all the music I want, so I download a lot as well. I rarely download full albums and listen to them on my computer, just download random songs from the artist. If it wasn't for the internet I probably wouldn't buy as many cds as I do now.

I buy CDs only for artists that I really really like, you know I consider them a collector's item.

Also if not for mp3's i might never have discovered Opeth,
,or any of the other bands i like for that matter.
Two years ago i hardely even knew what 'metal' was.
Late bloomer. :)

i d/l use to see what somethings like...if i like it i buy the cd, if not i delete it...videos, films, software etc. i feel fine about ripping off, but i actually care about the music i listen to so i want to have the cd with the artwork, lyrics etc.

I download lots of stuff (well as much as possible on a 56k connection), i also burn lots of CDs.

I didnt pay for my computer, I dont pay for the internet connection. Etc, etc. The little money i get goes towards buying petrol and food and then anything thats left over goes towards something musical (whether its a CD, guitar strings or a concert) or drinking.

I buy CDs whenever i can afford them, but most of the time i cant. Soon enough i will have a full time job and then my money will be well spent. But yeh, at the moment i can get maybe 2 CDs a month and that makes me completely broke, I have a list made of CDs that i want to buy, and that includes all the albums i have mp3s of. I also try and buy at least 1 album from each artist/band, unless i love a band in which case ill buy all the albums.

I'm in a fairly similar situation to YaYoGakk. I SERIOUSLY need a new p00ta (the one I have my folks bought....around 5 yrs ago!) and the stereo system hooked up to my poota is older than I AM (20-something) up until towards the end of last year I had a job (of sorts) and was downloading a handful of mp3's by an artist then buyng the album if I liked it. If I didn't I'd still keep the songs I got, but stopped downlaoding songs by that artist.... if I liked the band I'd keep d-loading the songs as I was buying the albums (I'm hopless when it comes to ripping stuff :blush ) Of course their was the occasional band that I KNEW I'd be buying there new release... so I d-loaded the album if it became available before the official release (Hello 'The Sham Mirrors' and 'Blackwater Park' :D ) and preorded the CD locally so I could get it the day it came out.....

Unfortunately over the last 4-5 months I have been unemployed so I have been straying to the d-loading without buying side of things..... But I finally landed another job (of sorts) last week, so it looks like I'll be backcataloguing through stuff which I'll now have to go and buy if I can find it up here... *sigh*

Oh, and the majority of my music comes from neither of these sources, I complied a list of a couple of friends mp3 collections (ID3 tagging and file structure, it was a complete mess when I got to it) and my reward was... you guessed it... keeping the mp3's on my drive. :D

I need to buy the Yanni: "If I Could Tell You" album again (lost the first CD...stupid me). It's a kickass album. Yanni rules.

Originally posted by avskum
I use all my money on either cds or concerts, but I don't have enough money to buy all the music I want, so I download a lot as well. (...) If it wasn't for the internet I probably wouldn't buy as many cds as I do now.

This describes me. I have bills to pay as well, but
whatever is left I spend on cd's, gigs, mags etc.

I admit I download a lot, but before I got the
internet I bought like 8 cd's in bulk every 3-4
months!!! I never found the best bands. But now
I do. If I find a band I totally love I have to buy
their albums. Then there's the problem of finding
their releases...

But yeah, I both download and buy :eek:)

Personally I'd rather buy cd's than to burn songs off of the internet. I don't like having something that is not real. It has to be in its original form or else I'm not happy with it.

Let me put it this way.

1.- I almost never buy if i can download/burn. Not even my favorite bands, or my favorite pc games.
2.- I almost always can get the stuff faster and earlier by downloads.
3.- Im Mexican so im expected to be a king of piracy by nature.

I buy (I don't even have the possibility to burn CD's). I might download some samples before I buy the CD but very often I just go and buy it without knowing almost anything about the music.

Originally posted by Silent Downfall
when you buy a cd you give money to the record label not the artist. the artists get their money from live shows.
This is not totally correct. Who fowards money to a band for the recording of an album? Who pays for promotion of that album? Who provides money to the band so the band can tour (and thereby make money from touring as you claim)?

The record label.

If the record label loses out on money, then they will have less to spend on bands, thus the bands lose their outlet, never get to release things except via mail orders and stuff (with sound quality like that of Darkthrone), and don't get to tour (thereby making no money through touring). I've heard that argument by sooo many people, and it seems to be based on some romantic idea of "record companies are evil, stop the record companies". This is false.

And I'd dispute weather or not bands get money from sales aswell....... ;)

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
This is not totally correct. Who fowards money to a band for the recording of an album? Who pays for promotion of that album? Who provides money to the band so the band can tour (and thereby make money from touring as you claim)?

The record label.

If the record label loses out on money, then they will have less to spend on bands, thus the bands lose their outlet, never get to release things except via mail orders and stuff (with sound quality like that of Darkthrone), and don't get to tour (thereby making no money through touring). I've heard that argument by sooo many people, and it seems to be based on some romantic idea of "record companies are evil, stop the record companies". This is false.

And I'd dispute weather or not bands get money from sales aswell....... ;)

From what I've read.. the average band in UK gets one pound for each full-length sold, and that's rather shit considering they go from anything to ten to twenty. The band also pays for recording, which usually is around 100K for a full studio lease and mastering.

Mainly, the income is from touring and merchandise. More often than not, the band/bands management (Management is NOT the label) look after merchandise. Record sales don't really do much.. just to get a positive flow they need to sell more than 100,000 of an album.

This is based off information I read last year.