Dragonforce

S<issors

wins.
Jan 16, 2007
I've seen Dragonforce mentioned a number of times in a negative light on these forums (most recently in the context of the Terrorizer polls). I can understand why fans of a more somber, heavy outfit like Opeth might not dig their style, but you have to hand it to them, those guys produce some damn fast, fun music, and they put on a hell of a live show. They hit a good balance between not taking themselves too seriously (especially not the lyrics!) and rocking as hard as they can.

On the other hand, a lot of their songs sound pretty similar (of course, to an outsider, a lot of any group's songs probably sound pretty similar) and their cheesiness might be too much for some people to handle.

Opinions? What do you guys think?

theiy arE INcr3dlilble, I VLOLE tHEH GITARS s000 FAS T ,, vErY w3lll doNE cHORUsEAS, TH&#221;Y ARE berttere thAN ir0n Maden &#231;o 'much m0R3 A4PEGGIUOZ----------?M,A # my FOFOFVRITE Band :):):):):):);.0:0:0:0:0):)::):)0:

I like this comment: "They have two modes of playing! Fast or not-so-fast!"

That said, they're still awesome :headbang:

Every time I hear music like this, I don't know what to feel.

One half of me feels like a part of me has died. The other half simply thinks "what a bunch of silly little spunked up children" and dismisses it.

Not my cup of tea at ALL.

They did a very ballsy thing when I caught them a few months back.

They brought a timer out on stage, and then while it was counting down...started playing Slayer. So, they had Slayer open up for them. People went nuts, and it was hilarious.

Back to the point...Dragonforce is everything I could ever want from a band with the name "Dragonforce." They talk about swords, and riding into battle, and having the heart of the dragon, and have really epic songs that don't mean anything to mean but create a fun atmosphere.

As for the video Tubbs posted...of course every song sounds similiar. As someone in the You Tube comments pointed out, you could do that with almost any artist and point out similarities. That's the nature of forming a band.

Really, folks...why would any of you expect anything but comical awesomness from a band with a name as epic and ridiculous as "Dragonforce"?

The vocals come across as fake and cheesy. I listen to plenty of cheesy vocals, but these in particular are for some reason unlistenable. I'd put them along the lines of a drunken and slightly coked up Baptist preaching Mr Rogers.

My dad and I used to "rock out" to Dragonforce on occasion, first with Sonic Firestorm and then the arrival of Inhuman Rampage... but I was stuck with the task of reviewing the new album for Maelstrom ezine... Sure, I gave it a good score, but in the process of doing it, I saw all of the flaws and how simple the music really is.

Sure, there are fast solos, and the percussion is fast and great too, but listen to the rhythm. It's like the first day that Iron Maiden ever practiced together - just putting powerchords together... Oh, and the keyboardist is pretty impressive too. But I digress, the songwriting is way too simplistic. It's basically a simple movement that heists the guitarists up into the spotlight for the minute or so they shred in each song, while a lot of it is just basic stuff.

Fun, in small doses. I actually think the Valley Of The Damned demo (when they were known as Dragonheart) is one of the best things they did. not quite so over the top and a less processed sound. I've actually been following this band for a long, long time, since that demo came out and they were the #1 power metal band on mp3.com. I honestly never thought they would become so massively popular.