Dragonforce

Dragonforce = The Power Rangers of Metal

so if you like cheap entertainment meant for little kids then I guess I can see how you like it

The gem of that conversation was definately this observation:

I find it really funny that the majority of people who dislike Dragonforce are the people who listen to hardcore/emo/emocore. There's one guy at my school who's horribly emo and I started playing some Dragonforce on my guitar and he's like "Omg, is that Dragonforce? They're like the stupidest band ever! The Bled is so much better!"

Their music just makes me grin :D

Dragonforce is like videogame music. Really horrible videogame music. Without an actual videogame to keep your mind off of its incredible horribleness. Honestly I've played 8-bit NES games that had better music than what Dragonforce manages to produce with an actual band.

Dragonforce is like videogame music. Really horrible videogame music. Without an actual videogame to keep your mind off of its incredible horribleness. Honestly I've played 8-bit NES games that had better music than what Dragonforce manages to produce with an actual band.

dude... nes music is the SHNEZ. For real though, there's some awesome compositions on some games, clever stuff that goes unnoticed because it was for a game. Some of the coolest melodies and progressions i know come from video games!

Reactions: RedinTheSky
I love Dream Theater.
I love Symphony X.
I like Edguy, Blind Guardian, Dreamscape.
I like neoclassical noodling in thrashy stuff like Bodom or classics like early Yngwie.
But for some reason, I HATE Dragonforce.

The hyperspeed calliope Mega-Man-2-on-meth guitars aren't the problem - it's amazing musicianship, but they're more a novelty than anything else.

It's the vocals.

I cannot stand those vocals, or worse, the uber-triumphant melody lines. It sounds like Manowar, Hammerfall and Tiny Tim doing a man-train victory lap backstage at an Atari Teenage Riot show.

Make it stop.

-gg
np: Porcupine Tree - Sky Moves Sideways

Fun, in small doses. I actually think the Valley Of The Damned demo (when they were known as Dragonheart) is one of the best things they did. not quite so over the top and a less processed sound. I've actually been following this band for a long, long time, since that demo came out and they were the #1 power metal band on mp3.com. I honestly never thought they would become so massively popular.
my thoughts EXACTLY.

now, however, after those 4 interesting songs, they've proven to the community that in general every song is more or less the same so that, after hearing those 4 songs and maintaining some degree of interest, one is more or less done with them. great stage show, but not very interesting musically.

dude... nes music is the SHNEZ. For real though, there's some awesome compositions on some games, clever stuff that goes unnoticed because it was for a game. Some of the coolest melodies and progressions i know come from video games!

Mm I agree. It is quite impressive how they managed to create memorable music on hardware with such limited capabilities as the NES. Though I think for me the most amazing videogame music is still the Silent Hill games music by Akira Yamaoka which ranges from drone/ambient to melancholic Japanese rock music (NICE music, not the horrible j-rock cheese stuff). Actually the sound design for those games is just incredible in general (he does all the sound effects as well, sound effects that genuinely fuck with your mind when you play the games).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2PMRycP9FtA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EHIvGLcCsRs

Those are some of the more songy songs. I can't really find any online samples of the more atmospheric ambient/drone stuff. What does this have to do with this thread? Very little. But I'm bored.

awesomeness?

Yes, but specifically "comical awesomeness." I burst out laughing when listening to the band.

For example, to point out another random thing about them live, they brought out fans so their hair would look as intense as possible. Maybe I just fall for stupid humor, but I think that's hilarious and the music compliments it.

I like watching Dragonforce play almost like I like watching a slam dunk contest in basketball. Its not real basketball/music, but its a neat spectacle.

If you guys like video game music, you should check out The Advantage, they did some killer versions of NES songs. Konami used to put out some sweet jams....the Contra music is awesome translated to rock.

Mm I agree. It is quite impressive how they managed to create memorable music on hardware with such limited capabilities as the NES. Though I think for me the most amazing videogame music is still the Silent Hill games music by Akira Yamaoka which ranges from drone/ambient to melancholic Japanese rock music (NICE music, not the horrible j-rock cheese stuff). Actually the sound design for those games is just incredible in general (he does all the sound effects as well, sound effects that genuinely fuck with your mind when you play the games).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2PMRycP9FtA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EHIvGLcCsRs

Those are some of the more songy songs. I can't really find any online samples of the more atmospheric ambient/drone stuff. What does this have to do with this thread? Very little. But I'm bored.

I have the first three Silent Hill soundtracks on my iPod. Great stuff. The third one had some... unusual... moments, though. Specifically, Hometown. "SUUUURRRRRRVIIIIIIIIVE!" :loco: