DragonForce and Trivium in Terrorizer - a few things worthy of discussion

Nate The Great said:
I think it's only appropriate that you should take endless criticism of liking Trivium.
Bring it. If taking shit for it bothered me, I would have shut my pie-hole 40 posts ago.:loco:

Nate The Great said:
Oh . . . and Shadows Fall KILLS Trivium.
I actually think Shadows Fall may be the worst band on the planet.

Nate The Great said:
An excellent place to start would be Earth Crisis. They knew what the word was on awesome riffs, plus their vocals were fuckin' excellent.
Heard of them, never heard their music. Recommend something by them and I'll check it out.

Zod

Erik said:
off the top of my head

summoning "where hope and daylight die"
agalloch "as embers dress the sky"

well kinda. so yes!

Excellent, so you do have at least a "partial" open mind about it. And that's the way I always try to go about my listening habits, with a "partially" open mind. I admit, it's EXTREMELY hard to not be influenced by other's opinions or even my own feelings about something in general in one way or another, but I do try my best.

More thoughts:

Shadows Fall cannot possibly be the "worst band" on any planet that still contains Trivium.

Hardcore vocals - and this is near-impossible for me to describe in writing - are kind of like "sucking in of all your breath while bellowing." Does that make sense? It's a "barking-like" sound. It sucks. Unless paired with actual hardcore music, in which case, at least it belongs. Take Lamb of God for example; I've always maintained that musically they pretty much rip. Their riffs are as good as anyone's of late. But those vocals! They suck!

Death metal growls are FAR MORE varied, they can be more high-pitched (a la Jeff Walker of Carcass), they can be the deepest of growls (a la Karl of Nile), they can be a mix of the 2 (a la Maurizio of Kataklysm), etc. Far more talent goes into your "standard" death metal growl than the shitty hardcore barking.

Erik said:
off the top of my head

summoning "where hope and daylight die"
agalloch "as embers dress the sky"

well kinda. so yes!

And Carnivore rules and they have hardcore vocals, so everyone can just fuck off, we're open minded as fuck =).

General Zod said:
Heard of them, never heard their music. Recommend something by them and I'll check it out.

Zod

I'd check out Earth Crisis 'Gomorah's Seasons End' or 'Breed the Killers'. Lots of songs about polution and eating vegetables and not meat.

I could post some samples latter if you'd like. I saw Earth Crisis live and they were EASILY one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Too bad they broke up.

General Zod said:
I'm not comparing them musically... obviously. I'm merely pointing out that Priest's image was contrived.

Zod
and i was agreeing, read again. what i'm saying is judas priest didn't wear motorhead and van halen shirts at every interview and seem to spend an inordinate amount of time talking about how much they love budgie and zeppelin :p

cthulufhtagn said:
and i was agreeing, read again. what i'm saying is judas priest didn't wear motorhead and van halen shirts at every interview and seem to spend an inordinate amount of time talking about how much they love budgie and zeppelin :p

Exactly. Priest DEFINED that very scene, and the image that is NOW associated with it.

MadeInNewJersey said:
Exactly. Priest DEFINED that very scene, and the image that is NOW associated with it.
That may be, but that doesn't mean the image wasn't contrived. Somehow, I doubt they dressed like that in their every day life. And if those weren't their everyday clothes, than by definition, it was a contrived look.

Zod

General Zod said:
That may be, but that doesn't mean the image wasn't contrived. Somehow, I doubt they dressed like that in their every day life. And if those weren't their everyday clothes, than by definition, it was a contrived look.

Zod

Given what we now know about Mr. Halford, are you certain? ha ha

General Zod said:

Zod
we're in agreement here dude, there's no argument priest have a contrived image. but at least it's their own image, is the point.