Dragonlord

My Man Mahmoud said:
Look at me! Look at me! I'm openminded! I am cool. I am all powerful! So powerful, in fact, that I can convince myself that the umpteenth iteration of an AIDS-ridden Swans ripoff is awsome - and that indie rock really matters. My ego is trumped only by my capacity for self-delusion.

*yawnspellingeralizationoob*

2 more swings before you have to go back to the end of the line. id try harder from now on, make them count champ!!

Funny, because I never listen to your predictable rec's or go by what you say. Usually I listen to what I like and so forth... And fortunately I am very good at catching up although I have not had as of a musical background as some here. And I guess you would consider Ulver, Empyrium, Drudkh... to be less than 'good' music :lol:

Also I bet the new Killers album isn't as good as you say it is...:Smug:

edit: I'm not the one who listens to catchy music, douche

metal_wrath said:
Funny, because I never listen to your predictable rec's or go by what you say. Usually I listen to what I like and so forth... And fortunately I am very good at catching up although I have not had as of a musical background as some here. And I guess you would consider Ulver, Empyrium, Drudkh... to be less than 'good' music :lol:

Also I bet the new Killers album isn't as good as you say it is...:Smug:

edit: I'm not the one who listens to catchy music, douche

you couldnt even begin to wrap your head around everything i listen to. so id drop the assumption that i only listen to "catchy music"...whatever the hell that means. Besides, its obvious youre probably more guilty of that than i am anyway...with the nightrage and j-rock and other obvious choices of superficial metal stupidity. And FYI...empyrium are overrated, as are Drudkh. Both of which i was listening to when you were picking your nose in the sandbox after your special ed class.

and yes, the new killers album is "quite good". which is what i said about it. this will be proven elsewhere overtime, i dont need to further defend or express this.

one day, youll realize A) metal is NOT the end all/be all of music. B) its NOT nearly as important or prestigious a genre as you thought. C) most of it is very stupid, cliche, derivitive, rehashed and monotonous. and D) when youve finally been around long enough to soak up enough of it...even the most basic of people can easily lose interest in metal when thats ALL they listen to. so continue to make assumptions and accusations at me...but one day, youll most likely finally "get it". until then...enjoy your ignorance and the teenage bliss it drenches you in.

NineFeetUnderground said:
Poorly edited, virtually unpunctuated and masturbatorily self-righteous spiel.

Dude, you listen to Robbie Williams. That pretty much puts paid to all your claims of superior taste.

And heterosexuality, for that matter...

Reactions: a rofl nazi
NineFeetUnderground said:
and by the same token, all you noobs who continue to whine about my participation here are welcome to get in line so i can plow through you one by one. sort of like NFU's version of pacman. bring it on.

:puke:

^ Kinda looks like a pacman before it vomits...

Maybe it ate a Dragonlord fan? :erk:

This thread is great, excellent and very insightful argumentation so far from every side.

Keep Going !:kickass:

Dragons are cool, what's wrong with you people ?

So what I really want to know is what good music is and how you are all so certain you know what it is? I love it how I am the one continually accused of being arrogant here, but on the other hand most of the rest of you know beyond all argument what is good and what is not when it comes to something as intrinsically subjective as music. Also when I see the 'expert analysis' that goes along the lines of 'they are ripping such and such off' for example how that conclusion was drawn. Was it because the person making that conclusion was analytically comparing the given band to other examples of similar music considering songform, chord progression, counterpoint etc? Or was it just made on an arbitrary basis where everything but the music was considered. I know I know, you don't have to study music to hear silimarites etc.. On the other hand what basis do you have to think that you are right about any given opinion and anyone else is wrong? And what music is truly original? Any given composer was influenced by someone else in some way. I think if you want to say "my opinion is that this is a pile of shit" or conversely that "my opinion is that this is the best music ever written" that is all well and good. I think though some of you probably need to realise that an opinion is just your point of veiw not an authoritive statement of fact. Those can only be found in analysing the technical aspects of the theory involved in making music. Even at that those things are not benchmarks for the value of any given thing.

My opinion about Dragonlord though. I don't mind some aspects of them. I thought it was an interesting context to hear Steve DiGiorgio and Jon Allen. It was interesting that Eric Peterson recylced a couple of sections from Testament pieces in some of the Dragonlord pieces also. I prefer it to say Cradle of Filth or Dimmu Borgir, who they are likened to often. I haven't heard second record so I don't really have an opinion on that.

Nothinggod said:
So what I really want to know is what good music is and how you are all so certain you know what it is? I love it how I am the one continually accused of being arrogant here, but on the other hand most of the rest of you know beyond all argument what is good and what is not when it comes to something as intrinsically subjective as music. Also when I see the 'expert analysis' that goes along the lines of 'they are ripping such and such off' for example how that conclusion was drawn. Was it because the person making that conclusion was analytically comparing the given band to other examples of similar music considering songform, chord progression, counterpoint etc? Or was it just made on an arbitrary basis where everything but the music was considered. I know I know, you don't have to study music to hear silimarites etc.. On the other hand what basis do you have to think that you are right about any given opinion and anyone else is wrong? And what music is truly original? Any given composer was influenced by someone else in some way. I think if you want to say "my opinion is that this is a pile of shit" or conversely that "my opinion is that this is the best music ever written" that is all well and good. I think though some of you probably need to realise that an opinion is just your point of veiw not an authoritive statement of fact. Those can only be found in analysing the technical aspects of the theory involved in making music. Even at that those things are not benchmarks for the value of any given thing.

I'm pretty sure that everyone on the planet already knows that opinions are subjective and nonfactual, but it's generally more fun to be hyperbolic and critical, even if it isn't logically sound