Dream Theater 2014 Tour - Who's Opening?

Just curious.
What does a Dream Theater ticket cost?
General admission?

The Oregon show was $55 + $12 fee per ticket (those were the most expensive seats) plus about $4 order processing fee.

Seems there were two different pre-sales. One on DT's website that was floor only and very limited, gone in like 2 minutes. Then I got an email from the promoter with a code that allowed for any seat in the house. Scored some awesome seats.

New York City's ticket cost $49.50 + $10 fee + $3 shipping since will call wasn't available.

That's for floor admission, which happens to be cheaper than the seats (and the seats are way in the back, which is weird).

That's how I feel about Dream Theater, especially with $50+ ticket prices.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing DT again, but definitely not at that price, though I am a casual fan at best of them. Definitely cool though for their die hard fans to go back to this format. They have really done a good job of moving forward with nothing but class since the departure of Portnoy and seem to be achieving even more level of success than before. They have always been very cool about their fans and doing interesting things. Though I am not the biggest fan of all their work, this is a band I have always respected a ton.

Oh, I have no issues with the ticket price if I was more than a casual fan.
I don't think anyone is disputing the prices, though they are certainly excluding the casual fan though.

Granted, I haven't seen a headline DT show in almost 10 years.

Will these shows realistically sell out??? If so, then yeah, they are charging the right price.

Purchased the Platinum Package-Riverside show. $50 for regular tickets for an evening with show is quite a value in this day and age in my opinion. My wife wanted to attend "don't laugh" The Michael Buble show here and Phoenix, and GOOD seats ranged from $300-$800 per. I told her we can still go, but even she refused to pay those prices for a good seat. Two things: 1. Ticket prices for mainstream artists is a fvcking joke these days. My wife attends everything I like, so I will take her to ANY concert she wants, but even she draws the line at crap like what Michael Buble would cost. 2. It's unbelievable that people will pay hundreds, and sometimes thousands for great seats for mainstream artists. I know, your going to say I did that for Dream Theater, but the price of their "Meet and Greet" was less than the price of a single good seat ticket to Michael Buble. If Dream Theater charged what mainstream artists do for for meet and greets, I wouldn't do it.

Will these shows realistically sell out??? If so, then yeah, they are charging the right price.

They usually pack the house, and personally i don't think their support acts did much to help in that regard.

Considering this is the first time they've done "An Evening With" in a long time, I'm thinking they will. There's probably many like myself who have never seen them in that format.

Just a heads up to those in the NYC area, the Friday March 28th show is going head to head with Children of Bodom/Death Angel/TYR at Irving Plaza the same night. Luckily the Bodom tour will also be in NYC that Saturday the 29th. Hopefully my work schedule will play out so I can catch both DT and Bodom back to back.

Oh, I have no issues with the ticket price if I was more than a casual fan.
I don't think anyone is disputing the prices, though they are certainly excluding the casual fan though.

Granted, I haven't seen a headline DT show in almost 10 years.

The whole point in charging a ton of money for a ticket for one band is that you don't have to sell out a show to make a profit. It's a classic marketing strategy in charging premium prices knowing full well that you won't get as many people as if you had a $30 ticket, but with higher margins you could make more money in the aggregate if you get enough fans. Kind of like how the luxury auto industry works! haha

And while that may sound like a no brainer, many bands actually go the opposite route. Where they purposely sell cheap tickets just to sell out the venue because maybe they know they'll earn more on the back end from merch sales or sponsorship money, but the sold out show "looks" better to the public eye as a branding thing.

Jason,

Dream Theater has a very good chance of selling out these shows. Even without Portnoy, the band manages to draw roughly 2,500 people a night in the U.S. I've seen them 19 times since 1997, and every headlining show was packed. Their fanbase is extremely dedicated, and they honor that dedication by making each tour a unique experience. I think it's unanimous among the band's fans that going back to the "Evening With" format is an excellent choice.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Eh I doubt it, even with their increased popularity. Every time they played Jones Beach here in Long Island it was to high or mid capacity crowds but never anywhere near sold out. And that's their home turf. Only time I ever saw a sold out DT show was for the Score DVD taping in 2006.