Dream Theater anyone?

A Dramatic Turn of Events.

Thoughts on this album now that you've heard it Onedude? As I said in the Last Album.... thread, Far From Heaven is basically my theme song. I really love Breaking All Illusions and Lost Not Forgotten. Outcry and Bridges in the Sky too.

Thoughts on this album now that you've heard it Onedude? As I said in the Last Album.... thread, Far From Heaven is basically my theme song. I really love Breaking All Illusions and Lost Not Forgotten. Outcry and Bridges in the Sky too.

I thought it was gonna be very different Prog Metal, but to be honest I was overreactin' on the inside. Dramatic Turn is definetely a step up from Black Clouds, and while the album is great, the second half of the album alone is enough to smack people out of Portnoy Turbulence. :lol: Breaking All Illusions and Beneath The Surface are my favourites because they both work together when played back to back, but there are so many things about the other songs like Outcry and Far From Heaven that make them awesome too.

One problem I have though is, oddly enough, Mangini, but not because he replaced Portnoy - its because on very select albums that I've heard him on, he shows off tremendous skill, but leaves me feeling a bit hollow (example - Annihilator's Metal). And its irritating because Mangini is amazing and getting feelings like that from him is really odd/stupid!

With that being said... I should've bought tickets to the DT concert last year... :bah: ...fuckin' Portnoy and his fuckin' Adrenaline Mob...

wait. this thread has been revived?

And i agree with thatonedude. John Petrucci wrote the drumparts on a computer i believe and that's exactly the way it sounds. Jordan Rudess and John Petrucci were the main songwriters and the drums almost only accentuate the keys and guitar. On other albums the drums had their own character.

But i think that the drums will be better on the next album, when Mangini gets the opportunity to give his own twist to the songs.

wait. this thread has been revived?

And i agree with thatonedude. John Petrucci wrote the drumparts on a computer-

Jordan Rudess and John Petrucci were the main songwriters and the drums almost only accentuate the keys and guitar. On other albums the drums had their own character. But i think that the drums will be better on the next album, when Mangini gets the opportunity to give his own twist to the songs.

I hope so. Seeing Mangini in a prog band doing his thing as opposed to a Extreme metal band would be a sight to see (or a sound worth dying to hear).

Last edited by a moderator:
so this masterpiece was released on the same day as The Enemy Inside. In my opinion Haken wins...

Last edited by a moderator:
The album has leaked. It was going to be streamed today anyway so the leak doesn't really matter.

BUT HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME

Incredible. I've listened to the stream a few times since the first time I heard it, and the songs that really stand out to me are Illumination Theory and The Bigger Picture. I can't wait to get my hands on my physical copy.