Dream Theater anyone?

FOUR DAYS. :D

I'm so excited! Shirts better not be expensive as fuck though (I'm looking at you Scorpions! You too Iron Maiden!).

I'll be sure to some pictures. :p

Well, I just listened to ADTOE and it was the first album I heard of them beginning to end. I listened to some of their songs before and I kinda liked some of them, others not at all...

As you can probably gather (being kind of a newb to their style) I thought it was 1/3rd great, 1/3rd boring and 1/3rd utterly nonsensical. I just don't get why make songs so long if the middle (you know, the part where the guitar and keyboards wank off) is not at all related to the remainder of the song. "Build me up, break me down" is just garbage, sorry. "Outcry" & "Bridges in The Sky" could have been good if 50% of it wasn't complete wankery. Some of the nonsense also comes from the constant use of keyboards, half of it terribly misplaced or with mind-blowingly inappropriate keyboard effects.

I did like some of the first and third tracks and most of "Breaking All Illusions" and "This is the life" is the closest they ever get to understanding proper song structure :D

In order of preference the songs would be like:
1 - Breaking All Illusions
2 - This Is The Life
3 - Lost Not Forgotten
4 - On The Backs Of Angels
5 - Beneath The Surface
6 - Outcry
7 - Bridges In The Sky (it fucking starts with 3 massive burps...wtf....)
8 - Far From Heaven
9 - Build Me Up, Break Me Down

Just throwing out my opinion (even though nobody asked for it). I thought it was good. I'd probably give it something like a 6/10 :ill: Well, I gave it a chance.

Yeah, prog metal isn't really for everyone.... But at least you gave it a chance. Breaking All Illusions is the best song on the album though, I'll agree with you there.

I agree with BMUBMD being garbage. But i don't agree with the harsh words about Outcry and Bridges In The Sky :lol: those are 2 of my favorites of ADTOE.

edit: i don't know how many times you've listened it from beginning to end, but you need to hear this record more before you know what's going on :lol: first i didn't pay that much attention to Outcry, but now it's my favorite song of the album

Last night was fucking amazing other than one part. Trivium DID open. :lol:

I stood in line for a half hour to get shirts for my sister and I. It was terrible! They only had two people working the table and the people in line were starting to get pissed. What's even worse is that people kept getting in front of me. :mad: After that debacle though we headed to our seats. We opened the door to the stage and seated area and the exact moment we did, we heard IIIIIIIIIIIIIIN WAAAAAAAAAAAAAVES. :lol: It was kinda cool how we opened the door and the music started.

Trivium was alright I guess. They only played two Shogun songs, and I didn't know any of the other ones. I did laugh when Corey's guitar went out though. Hahaha, he had such a hard time with it and was missing for half of Down From the Sky. Regardless, Heafy is stupid. "This is a thrash metal song!" I was like HA! No. Anyways, this post is not about them.

This post is about Dream Theater! They put on possible the best show I've ever seen. Sadly, during Trivium's set, we got in trouble for having our phones on and taking pictures, so we had to put them away. So I got no pictures of the gig. :(

Setlist follows :
Dream is Collapsing (Hans Zimmer Song). Used to dim the lights and such.

1 : Bridges in the Sky
2 : These Walls
3 : Build Me Up, Break Me Down :bah:
4 : Endless Sacrifice
5 : Drum Solo
6 : The Ytse Jam
7 : Outcry
8 : Wait for Sleep
9 : Far From Heaven
10 : On the Backs of Angels
11 : Caught in a Web
12 : Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy
13 : Breaking All Illusions

Then, Pull Me Under as the encore.

Two (rather terrible) videos I found via youtube :

Mike Mangini's reception shocked him, and the band. He seemed truly surprised at the applause he got. His solo was fucking INSANE too. Disappointed they played Build Me Up, Break Me Down. I hate that song. The quiet section was Wait for Sleep and Far From Heaven. That part was just James (Sitting on a stool) and Jordan playing piano. Really beautiful solo right before that too. Disappointed that they picked Pull Me Under as the encore too. I REAAAAALLY wanted Learning to Live. :(

Regardless, the show was fucking amazing and you should all go see them. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
They told you not to take pictures.
Either that's a thing that happens in America, or it a DT thing and DT seem like exactically the sort of band to do that after that dumbass audition video...........

Don't get me started on that audition video bullshit.

Anyways, it's apparently Dream Theater's policy to not take pictures, which is a load of shit.

by the way Keenan, cool story bro :lol: now i can't wait til February at all !

also, did they play These Walls 2 times? :lol: haha, don't you remember which song it was? Panic Attack maybe?
setlist isn't bad, but i hope to hear more from I&W when i see them.