Dream Theater in the studio

rockyracoon said:

I'm not saying this to say one is better than the other or anything like that, but if that happens (wouldn't be surprised), that'll be 3 studio albums, 2 live dvds (4 if you inlude the offcial bootleg series), and 3 or 4 headlining tours for Dream Theater since the oddyssey was released. Weird to think about it that way.

Most of Symphony X still have day jobs I believe? Is that not reason enough for the speed difference with DT? How many people here could keep their heads above the water and put out and support an album at all, let alone once every four years? And I'm sure some smartass will raise their hand in answer to that question, so with the exception of Matt Moliti, who has done the above with any degree of critical success?

MrFast said:
I love what Jordan Rudess adds to Dream Theater. Pre-Jordan DT isn't even close to being as great as post-Jordan.

I prefer Kevin or Derrick to ANYTHING Jordan has done or will do. It's not that he's not talented, it's just his playing sounds too sterile.....Less chaffe on the older discs as well, except for FII which was 98.76452997% chaffe

J-Dubya - WAS a huge DT fan, now they're no more than a curiousity....

J-Dubya 777 said:
I prefer Kevin or Derrick to ANYTHING Jordan has done or will do. It's not that he's not talented, it's just his playing sounds too sterile.....Less chaffe on the older discs as well, except for FII which was 98.76452997% chaffe

J-Dubya - WAS a huge DT fan, now they're no more than a curiousity....
My only problem with Jordan Rudess is that at times, because of some of his patches and stuff he uses, it seems like he doesn't take the music itself seriously. In Glass Prison, the Drawbar organ part behind the chorus, it just doesn't really fit imo.

Or even better, the entire middle of BEYOND THIS LIFE!!! It sounds like they looped it over and over in the studio, just so Jordan could scroll through his effects and improvise with it. I really don't like having to sit through it whenever I'm listening to the whole album. It's one of the only parts of any song or anything from Dream Theater that I can honestly say I detest.

As for Kevin or Derek, they may not be nearly as awesome of keyboardists as Rudess, but I like their style better. Especially Kevin Moore. There's one patch specifically that I've been demanding for my keyboardist to find on his Roland Module, and that's teh crazy Bright Organ effect he uses in Ytse Jam.

the_satanic_rabbit said:
Eeeh... 6 degrees was ok but SFAM was their last good album.
I'm inclined to disagree with this with an intense passion, but I've done it so many times. I see it pointless to try and say what I think about it because nobody is going to change their minds. I obviously like their later albums more. :erk:

theVikingR said:
Most of Symphony X still have day jobs I believe? Is that not reason enough for the speed difference with DT? How many people here could keep their heads above the water and put out and support an album at all, let alone once every four years? And I'm sure some smartass will raise their hand in answer to that question, so with the exception of Matt Moliti, who has done the above with any degree of critical success?

calm down buddy, i made that comment to point out how fast DT works moreso than to point out how long the new SX album is taking. I specifically said that I wasn't trying to say anyone was better than anyone else and I really meant that. I'm not even going to bother with a rebuttle to what you said because it really wasn't warranted in the first place. let's just get on with the thread

MrFast said:
Lol, check this out Ptah if you want a good laugh :lol:

I love what Jordan Rudess adds to Dream Theater. Pre-Jordan DT isn't even close to being as great as post-Jordan.
I missed this post before. :loco: I've seen that many times, and find it funnier and funnier each time I read it. :lol:

Kenneth R. said:
Easily if they have any talent left. Sorry, I'm skeptical with this band ever since 6DOIT.

They could use a few blue potions to max-out their talent meter, IMO. They seemed to have run it dry. When it's maxed-out, they can do some wicked combos...but no longer.

haha why do these DT threads always end up having some SX vs DT comparison? haha, they are both different styles of bands under the progressive label.

anyways, I think it's cool that they at least pump out albums, live dvd's and stuff. They probably make good use of their money and resources, something Symphony X and other lower end of the popularity bands don't have. I'd definitely want to pump out lots of songs too, but money is a huge issue.

bball_1523 said:
haha why do these DT threads always end up having some SX vs DT comparison? haha, they are both different styles of bands under the progressive label.

because it is a DT thread on an SX forum maybe? just a guess

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I'm inclined to disagree with this with an intense passion, but I've done it so many times. I see it pointless to try and say what I think about it because nobody is going to change their minds. I obviously like their later albums more. :erk:

Of course you have your own opinion about that, but it's almost like saying metallica's albums after black album are better than their earlier stuff, heh.

This sentence doesn't excite me anymore since the last to albums were not at all close to my taste of Dream Theater.