Dream Theater in the studio

OfSinsAndShred said:
Are there honestly people in this thread who think Six Degrees is better than Octavarium?

Yes, exactly. Not just better. One is good, and the other makes me sleep :)

I think he was being sarcastic... Octavarium was a very good album, far from bad. As someone else said, their is no bad DT album to date. Octavarium was pretty good just missing that sorta groove, these guys tour alot, and write alot of music and work on a shitload of other projects so releasing an album that is not topping all their work can be difficult, and for some un faithful fans makes them crappy! ToT and I&W and Metrop are my favorite albums, but the others are very good as well, Their new album will be better than octavarium, don't worry. (and i know some smart ass is going to say "thats not hard to do") Octavarium was not as groovy as other albums, but you can say it was unique on its own, and 5 years down the road we'll look back and see it was an impotant part in dt history. NO MATTER WHAT YOUR OPINION IS!

</rant>

proulxski said:
I think he was being sarcastic... Octavarium was a very good album, far from bad. As someone else said, their is no bad DT album to date. Octavarium was pretty good just missing that sorta groove, these guys tour alot, and write alot of music and work on a shitload of other projects so releasing an album that is not topping all their work can be difficult, and for some un faithful fans makes them crappy! ToT and I&W and Metrop are my favorite albums, but the others are very good as well, Their new album will be better than octavarium, don't worry. (and i know some smart ass is going to say "thats not hard to do") Octavarium was not as groovy as other albums, but you can say it was unique on its own, and 5 years down the road we'll look back and see it was an impotant part in dt history. NO MATTER WHAT YOUR OPINION IS!

</rant>
What he said

proulxski said:
...no one really turned this into a dt vs symphony x thread...but nice try.
why do people bring that up whenever someone says something negative about DT on the SX forum. My reasons for not being such a huge fan anymore have nothing to do with SX>

ps: and yes, 6DOIT is better than 8VM easily.

I think he's just expressing his surprise, since we usually turn these into DT v SX threads within like 3 posts of teh start of teh thread. :lol:

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Whoops, I hope nobody is getting the idea that I like 6doit better than 8vm, becase that's not true. 8vm is my least favorite of all their albums, all I was trying to say is I don't think it was a turd like most people are trying to say.
way to go logical fallacy.

8vm = least fav. therefore you like 6doit more. unless you're confusing yourself.

Haha, this thread is funny. I like how everybody find's their opinions about DT albums facts. I agree with the comment about how Octavarium wasn't groovy like their other stuff. I just think DT got fed up with their record label so they just plowed through their last albums left to fill up their obligations and move on with their careers. Both ToT and 8varium sounded rushed and now it's time to slow down and rock it. And rock it they will :headbang:

It's good to see that there are some people who acknowledge how good 6DoIT is, because it seems (among many hard core DT fans, at least), that album gets underrated, compared to the rest of their stuff. I think one reason for that is because it followed SFAM, which was undoubtedly a masterpiece. Anything that followed that album would be subject to intense scrutiny, all because it followed something as awesome as its predecessor.

But 6DoIT is, I think, one of their awesomest works. Taken away from any relation to SFAM, it's a really musically and dynamically versatile album. "The Glass Prison" on one end to "Disappear" on the other. And the second disc just speaks for itself.

It is alarming how quickly they seem to churn out new music. I can just picture Captain Portnoy with a whistle around his neck: "I know we can move faster than this, people!"

Reactions: Matt
NegativeVolume said:
Haha, this thread is funny. I like how everybody find's their opinions about DT albums facts.
That's what Dream Theater fans do though. Their opinion is either fact, or doesn't exist. :lol:

MrFast said:
I love how some people posted the same thing multiple times in this thread. It's like those "NO WAI!!" "YES WAI!!!!" arguments :lol:
Define "Yes Wai".

Meedleyx10 said:
I'm not saying this to say one is better than the other or anything like that, but if that happens (wouldn't be surprised), that'll be 3 studio albums, 2 live dvds (4 if you inlude the offcial bootleg series), and 3 or 4 headlining tours for Dream Theater since the oddyssey was released. Weird to think about it that way.

Man, I hadnt really thought about like that but damn. Certainly two opposite ends of the spectrum in that regard.