Dream Theater in the studio

I wonder what sorta music SX would come up with if they did it LTE style. Set a limit of 1 week to compose and record everything :). They'd have to be more collaborative.... not just MJR pwning everyone, so we'd get to see more of everyones natural style I guess.

Eternal Dragon said:
I wonder what sorta music SX would come up with if they did it LTE style. Set a limit of 1 week to compose and record everything :). They'd have to be more collaborative.... not just MJR pwning everyone, so we'd get to see more of everyones natural style I guess.

I'd honestly be bored unless Romeo uses his composition techniques because LTE doesn't do it for me.

Never enough is the only song I like off Octavarium.

FadeToBlack768 said:
I kinda hope this new album will sound like Train Of Thought though.

train of thought... i can't make up my mind on the album, there are great moments in all the songs, but some songs just have moments that seem SOOOOO out of place to me it makes the song seem rediculous, takes the seriousness out of it. and most of the time those rediculous moments come during the instrumental breaks.

The album as a whole was great, but I can guarantee that we could've done without most of the stuff in the middle of every single song. And from Jordan Rudess, there was WAY too much "Weedlyweedlyweedly", and not enough actual keyboard lines.

proulxski said:
I think he was being sarcastic... Octavarium was a very good album, far from bad. As someone else said, their is no bad DT album to date.

</rant>

My bullshit meter just pegged. Falling Into Infinity DOES qualify as a bad album....:heh:

J-Dubya

I don't see what everyone hates about 8V. It took a while to grow on me, but after about a month of listening, I've loved it ever since.

But shit... don't even get me started on that compilement of scale sequences that is Train of Thought.

Why do people get so offended by certain DT albums? I like some of their work more than others, but I don't feel that any of it is crap. I accept whatever DT chose to present at any given stage of their carreer, and I'm glad they don't let the fans pressure them into producing the same album each time around.
Because, unfortunately, a single glance at the DT forum will show you that DT fans are some of the biggest A-Holes out there. And it pains me to say that.
With a genre that prides itself on intelligent music, you'd think its fans would be intelligent enough to realize the value of variety and the meaning of 'opinion.'

Dave

People get offended by certain Dream Theater albums, because since Dream Theater's music is so overdone and over-written, everything involving them has to be overexaggerated to the max. Including peoples' reactions to their albums n stuff. It's common knowledge man, get with the program!!! :p

Abstract Solution said:
Why do people get so offended by certain DT albums? I like some of their work more than others, but I don't feel that any of it is crap. I accept whatever DT chose to present at any given stage of their carreer, and I'm glad they don't let the fans pressure them into producing the same album each time around.
Because, unfortunately, a single glance at the DT forum will show you that DT fans are some of the biggest A-Holes out there. And it pains me to say that.
With a genre that prides itself on intelligent music, you'd think its fans would be intelligent enough to realize the value of variety and the meaning of 'opinion.'

Dave

People get offended by DT's albums? Well for me it's not a case of getting offended, it's more like I just don't like most of their stuff.

I'm sure there are people that just prefer listening to the Odyssey and can't stand The Damnation Game or something. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Abstract Solution said:

Dave

That DT forum is horrendous; stupidity hard at work over there.

Opinion is unfortunately not a word in most of the prog rockers' vocabulary. More often than not when I first meet a fellow fan of the prog world they are so caught up in that world they fail to realize that something other than their little world actually does exist. Sort of reminds me of all those anime freaks on campus, except they actually listen to what someone else has to say.

J-Dubya 777 said:
My bullshit meter just pegged. Falling Into Infinity DOES qualify as a bad album....:heh:

J-Dubya

maybe it qualifies as a bad judgement call from DT, but ithink the album has a lot of great songs... new millenium, trial of tears, peruvian skies are some of my fave DT songs.