Dream Theater in the studio

NegativeVolume said:
Yeah, Portnoy does release "leaked" version of their albums and it's not them. I remember downloading Six Degrees and it was totally not Dream Theater and it made me sad until I realized whatever the deuce I downloaded kicked ass. I still don't know what it was.

but its actually portnoy that does this, not some random guy?

i remember the same thing happening with metallicas st anger

After it Six Degrees was officially released that's what I heard from an interview I think it was. Someone asked them about the leaked version and they were like, "Haha, way to steal the wrong song."

There were "promo versions" of Disillusion's new album Gloria a month or two ago that were compressed files containing fairly large promo videos to make it about album size.

meisteh said:
so portnoy openly admits illegally sharing music? or does he get the approval of every band first.

I don't know if he gets approval, but actually he is helping these unknown bands and this is a huge advertisement for them that they can never underestimate. I remember people learned about "Superior", the german band, which wasn't widely known before that fake release of TOT. And that is something you can not feel bad about. Dream Theater is making a free promotion of your band :) Think about it.

The same thing happened when Octavarium released, people downloaded a song of the Danish band "Chrome Shift". And they thought it was DT. Chrome Shift just rocks by the way. You'd give them a try.

The funny thing is, people in DT forums all like these fake stuff under the name of DT, but they forgot about them after hearing the original releases. Cause i think they just don't listen to music, they listen to DT only.

i don't have to think about it at all. i'm one of the first to highlight the advantages of downloading music but my point was that usually well-known figures wouldn't announce the suable offences they commit. noone would probably care anyway but it still seems odd to me.

on the 6DOIT issue; I love the album as a whole, but the song leaves much to be desired. While many parts are awesome, (The Test that Stumped them All, Solitary Shell, About to Crash (Reprise) ) it just didn't seem to flow as one song. It was almost as if they took eight individual songs and duct-taped them together. Almost as if they decided last-minute to make a beastly 42 minute song.

Octavarium is good, in my opinion. Panic Attack makes that album. Octavarium is a good song, but is very tedious to listen to in the beginning. I like to fast-forward about 5 minutes into it, unless I am just on a nine hour car ride and have nothing better to do than listen to a 5 minute pink floydesque intro.

Train of Thought was their worst album in my opinion. It was quite obvious that they wrote it in three weeks. With the exceptions of In the Name of God and Endless Sacrifice, the album was terribly bland and lyrically lacking. The excessive cursing made them seem less intelligent as well. (to me, anyway.)

the 3 week explaination doesn't work. they wrote awake in the same amount of time and i think a couple others were almost or just as fast too. then there's LTE. i prefer ToT to FII and 8vm... tbh imo irl stfu diaf

RequiemX said:
++ I very much agree.

don't think it makes them less intelligent, nor do i think it was excessive in any way... weren't there like 3 fucks and a shit or 2 on the whole album? more expresses frustration then unintelligence IMO

HaPPyPaNDa said:
Train of Thought was their worst album in my opinion. It was quite obvious that they wrote it in three weeks. With the exceptions of In the Name of God and Endless Sacrifice, the album was terribly bland and lyrically lacking. The excessive cursing made them seem less intelligent as well. (to me, anyway.)

No..go get some taste.

raythetse said:
don't think it makes them less intelligent, nor do i think it was excessive in any way... weren't there like 3 fucks and a shit or 2 on the whole album? more expresses frustration then unintelligence IMO

Compared to all their other albums with...none? [or maybe 1 on 6 Degress—I forget]

First, I never said that no good album could be written in three weeks, I just think they should've used a different (or at least longer) 'train of thought' on that one.

Second, I never said that DT was unintelligent, I just said that ToT made them seem so.

Third, in my critique of ToT, I somehow forgot to mention the rap section in Honor Thy Father. I really don't need to explain why I don't like this. It pretty much ruined the song for me.

I sure hope the new album is better that Octavarium, that album was a snoozefest.