Dream Theater in the studio

Indeed, maybe it would have more order also, since that place was a lion's den. I say once that I like Mike Portnoy's snare sound on I&W, and they flamed me like Pyro from X-Men. It was really really gay.

I'm sort of confused by what you mean hyped. Like how Snakes on a Plane was hyped? Or how their fans all worship them hype? In the case of the latter, I tend to agree they are hailed probably too far, but they have consistently put out albums that are pretty damn good. Sure, some people don't like it, but that just means people are listening to it to come to that conclusion. Any publicity is good publicity.

I'd also agrue DT is pretty influential in the prog/musicianship world. They're not as influential as say The Beatles or Chuck Berry, but only time can actually determine that.

DT isn't as influential as the fans would want people to believe. Instead, they extrapolated from their influences, wore them on their musical sleeves, then put out albums. This is self-admitted, btw. "Hyped" means that DT fans overstate every aspect of DT. In fact, I was one of them. My musical intake has expanded and I see technicality doesn't automatically mean art. In fact, I've seen those videos of those guys that look like the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons jamming on their guitars and doing insanely technical stuff. There's a reason they aren't signed. There's also a reason why bands that can't play a lick, but have such fortified writing ability that they improvise with have legacies that last two decades (my sig images).

Influential? Hardly. Many others aren't interested in putting out overdone, overtechnical, heartless music. Instead you have bands like Threshold that write solid music and embellish tastefully instead of writing shreds the gluing them together with some concept fans will hail them as geniuses for. That point in their careers is gone. You also have SX that is in the overtechnical realm, but they fortify it with solid songs and consistent themes and heaviness. I also never heard of SX going and blaming the fans for the misery in their lives, nor have they gone out and banned dozens upon dozens of fans on their message boards that didn't enjoy one of their albums.

I even thought LTE was original until I heard who really did the original concept for the last song on LTE 1 that was supposedly a purely spontaneous jam.

DT fans also act like they are in the band and take personal offense when someone constructively brings up criticism. This has been addressed on the DT board. The fans aren't in the band, nor do they share royalties. In fact, to the band, what they give you is "Never Enough"!

Reactions: Matt
DT isn't as influential as the fans would want people to believe. Instead, they extrapolated from their influences, wore them on their musical sleeves, then put out albums. This is self-admitted, btw. "Hyped" means that DT fans overstate every aspect of DT. In fact, I was one of them. My musical intake has expanded and I see technicality doesn't automatically mean art. In fact, I've seen those videos of those guys that look like the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons jamming on their guitars and doing insanely technical stuff. There's a reason they aren't signed. There's also a reason why bands that can't play a lick, but have such fortified writing ability that they improvise with have legacies that last two decades (my sig images).

Influential? Hardly. Many others aren't interested in putting out overdone, overtechnical, heartless music. Instead you have bands like Threshold that write solid music and embellish tastefully instead of writing shreds the gluing them together with some concept fans will hail them as geniuses for. That point in their careers is gone. You also have SX that is in the overtechnical realm, but they fortify it with solid songs and consistent themes and heaviness. I also never heard of SX going and blaming the fans for the misery in their lives, nor have they gone out and banned dozens upon dozens of fans on their message boards that didn't enjoy one of their albums.

I even thought LTE was original until I heard who really did the original concept for the last song on LTE 1 that was supposedly a purely spontaneous jam.

DT fans also act like they are in the band and take personal offense when someone constructively brings up criticism. This has been addressed on the DT board. The fans aren't in the band, nor do they share royalties. In fact, to the band, what they give you is "Never Enough"!

hmm........it took about 3 seconds of reading that before I finally figured it out. You are a biased idiot. Preferences aside, you'd be stupid to deny how influential of band DT is.

I'm a speed reader and three seconds took me only to the end of the first sentence.

If you're going to respond, at least have the courtesy to not attack and intelligently present your side after you at least give enough respect (that would warrant your response and an exchange) to continue reading.

The next sentence stated fact, oddly enough.