Dream Theater in the studio

I'm a speed reader and three seconds took me only to the end of the first sentence.

If you're going to respond, at least have the courtesy to not attack and intelligently present your side after you at least give enough respect (that would warrant your response and an exchange) to continue reading.

The next sentence stated fact, oddly enough.

I did in fact read the whole thing, but I had a thorough enough idea of what you were talking about well before finishing it. DT does wear their influences on their sleeves, no denying that. Just like there's no denying that DT is the most influential band in the prog-metal genre. I could care less whether or not you like them, that's your business, but let's not deny the obvious.

*edit- I apologize (to an extent) for coming off as being so abrasive in that first post, but statement I was responding to was complete BS and my response was a lot more tame that what most people would have given you

There's nothing to debate. I was responding to this statement:

"Influential? Hardly"

...which is complete bullshit

The rest of your post went on to state your opinions/preferences and things that have nothing to do with music (ie messageboards). I have no idea where you're getting this "preconceived notion" nonsense from. I read your post, realized you said something that was complete BS, and responded. Nothing was preconceived.

Preconceived notion:

I did in fact read the whole thing, but I had a thorough enough idea of what you were talking about well before finishing it. I did in fact read the whole thing, but I had a thorough enough idea of what you were talking about well before finishing it.

I will state again, they are not as influential as fans would want people to believe. Instead, they used more influences from the bands they loved.

Preconceived notion:

I will state again, they are not as influential as fans would want people to believe. Instead, they used more influences from the bands they loved.

Right, that's exactly what I said. I also said (in that same excerpt that you just tried to spin to work against me) that I did in fact read everything you wrote. If anything my thoughts were only reinforced. It's like eating food that tastes like shit the second you bite into it...........a second bite is still going to taste like shit.

You're right, they do have many influences and that influence shows- we've established that. That doesn't change how influential Dream Theater is. It doesn't matter how much you or anyone else dislikes them, you'd be an idiot to deny their influence. Plain and simple, nothing to debate. Your post was bullshit, plain and simple.

:lol: @ this argument. Too bad I have something to say.
DT isn't as influential as the fans would want people to believe. Instead, they extrapolated from their influences, wore them on their musical sleeves, then put out albums. This is self-admitted, btw.
Does that really take away from their ability to write music? Not all bands need to look at their influences and say "Okay, we have to try to do everything this band does" to be a good band. To me, bands that do that are more original than bands that try to clone their influences.

"Hyped" means that DT fans overstate every aspect of DT. In fact, I was one of them. My musical intake has expanded and I see technicality doesn't automatically mean art.
Technicality might not be the only thing that defines art, but that doesn't mean that Technicality isn't at all artistic. It's just another way of making art.

In fact, I've seen those videos of those guys that look like the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons jamming on their guitars and doing insanely technical stuff. There's a reason they aren't signed. There's also a reason why bands that can't play a lick, but have such fortified writing ability that they improvise with have legacies that last two decades (my sig images).
The reason for that is because bands that make all 3 minute songs seem to be more appealing than bands that have 12 minute songs with everything having to be "overexaggerated". As for the bands that write short little catchy 3 minute songs, good for them. They have lots and lots of fans. But not everybody wants to hear that, so they listen to another band who could have any sound in the world. And Dream Theater has a sound that seems to be technical, and "overexaggerated". But do you know what? It's not like they care who decides to buy their albums or not. They just want to make music the way they want to make it. And they just so happen to want to make music that's technical, complicated and long. Is that really so bad?

Influential? Hardly. Many others aren't interested in putting out overdone, overtechnical, heartless music. Instead you have bands like Threshold that write solid music and embellish tastefully instead of writing shreds the gluing them together with some concept fans will hail them as geniuses for. That point in their careers is gone.
Well good for Threshold. Just because they have a way of doing things doesn't mean that everybody else has to abide by that same way of writing. People have confronted me about my band, and said to me things like "You're not really metal. Try being more like Trivium or something." The only reason I get offended by something like that is because people are discrediting my band, because I'm not following the hype. Some bands have one way of doing things, and others have their own. Just because the way Dream Theater does a different thing from almost every other metal band in existense doesn't make them any less good of a band.

You also have SX that is in the overtechnical realm, but they fortify it with solid songs and consistent themes and heaviness. I also never heard of SX going and blaming the fans for the misery in their lives, nor have they gone out and banned dozens upon dozens of fans on their message boards that didn't enjoy one of their albums.
Again, you make it seem like Technicality is something that automatically diminishes any credit that a band deserves. It's another form of art, just as any other kind of writing in music might be. I don't in any way like Punk Rock, but I still regard it as a form of art.
As for the band "blaming misery on the fans", that's nothing new. Kurt Cobain blamed his fans for his problems, because he didn't want to be popular, but everybody kept raving about it, and he didn't want to hear it. But writing one song about something that may get on their nerves, especially something like their fans demanding them to sound a certain way (Never Enough), that doesn't mean that they're placing all the blame on their fans. That's just their way of saying "Stop telling me how to do my job." That song was directed at people like you, who are criticising them for wanting to write music a different way.

I even thought LTE was original until I heard who really did the original concept for the last song on LTE 1 that was supposedly a purely spontaneous jam.
I still don't own the LTE albums, so I don't now.

DT fans also act like they are in the band and take personal offense when someone constructively brings up criticism. This has been addressed on the DT board. The fans aren't in the band, nor do they share royalties. In fact, to the band, what they give you is "Never Enough"!
What's wrong with people being enthusiastic about a band? You don't need to automatically label a person as a horrible human being just because they're enthusiastic about their favorite band. Have you ever been to the Kamelot forum? EVERY SINGLE PERSON is a Kamelot fanboi/fangirl, and whenever somebody comes along, stating an opinion that's not "I masturbate to Kamelot every night", they get mauled by all the forum members, and the Mods even become Ban-Happy. Something like that is nothing new with bands, so there's absolutely no reason for you to discredit only ONE band for something like that. In the long run though, that still doesn't even affect the way a band writes their music.

In the end, it looks to me like you're ripping on Dream Theater, because they're different. And Meedleyx10 is right. You are a biased idiot.

Once again, :lol: @ this argument.

Reactions: NegativeVolume
There's also a reason why bands that can't play a lick, but have such fortified writing ability that they improvise with have legacies that last two decades (my sig images).

Last I checked Dream Theater just celebrated their 20th anniversary (thats two decades) by having a sold out show at Radio City Music Hall backed by an orchestra. Where the fuck did Celtic Frost play the last time they were in NY?

I understand what you're trying to say, but you just used a very bad example IMO.

And DT not influential? Then how come 90% of every progmetal band I hear that comes out these days sound like they ritualistically circle-jerk around their copies of Images and Words and Awake?

I'm convinced the reason most people bash Dream Theater is because its "cool" to do it. And the only reason I can find is that they don't flat out rock and aren't very straight ahead metal at all, and I guess people are expecting them to be. And yes, DT have been wearing their influences on their sleeves to an almost obscene degree on their last two albums, but I'll dare anyone tell me that albums like the aformentioned IaW or Awake do not have a wholely unique, very identifiable sound about them, and its these albums that put DT on the map.

Okay, I misinterpreted the "Wearing influences on your sleeves" thing. I thought that was just like taking one thing from a band and calling them a gigantic influence in your writing, and not fully bearing the influence as a whole. So fuck.

And my bandmates and I have done our share of "circle-jerking" around Images and Words, why? Because it's an awesome album!! It's one of my biggest influences with songwriting, and people don't shoot us down because we're influenced by Dream Theater. No, wuite the contrary, people look at us and give us credit for being able to show just how much they influence us.

Congradulations. That doesn't demean them in any way, nor does it make them any less influential.

Wow, you guys need to all chillax! As for my opinion, Dream Theater owns, and has never let me down as far as enjoying their stuff goes. They are HUGELY influential, so many of the new bands where influenced by DT and its very 'noticable' in their tunes. Circus Maximus, Mind Key, Zero Hour, even Early Symphony X has some good similarities, so don't go knocking on them! And the hardcore fans simply say they're pioners, and I wouldn't disagree...they created something new and fresh, off of other influences, big woop! Everyband is like that!

As far as technicality, man....John Petrucci pwns, and is an awsome song writter, he did tour with Vai and Satch for G3 so I think that says enough! Technicality doesn't mean they can write good music obviously, but this is not the case with DT, they do not try to put this insane technical part, they do not try to make their musical technical it just rolls ou tthat way since they're all awsome musicians, with awsome talents. A good example of a band that TRYS WAY TO HARD to be technical, and not that they're bad just they cannot write songs worth shat is Spiral Architect. Killer musicians, bad song writters.

Anyhoot, I hear enough Dream Theater bashing around here, leave em be! They rock, and whether or not you like them they headlined gigantour not symphony x ;) So obviously somebody likes em, not that it has anything to do with this argument...which to be honest shouldn't even be an argument.

So I bid my farewells from this post, and say this...CHILLAX, STOP BASHING OTHER BANDS UNLESS THEY TRULY DO BLOW!

Christ 0 made it to my list of albums of the year.

Watchtower, Yngwie, QR, FW, and Helloween were infinitely more influential on the groups mentioned a few posts above than Dream Theater.

give it up man. The only person on that list who's influence can be compared to DT is Yngwie. Regardless, the more you speak on this subject, the dumber you look. No need to beat a dead horse.