Dream Theater to tour with Trivium in the fall

mandrake6

Feb 25, 2002
Chicago
www.geocities.com
DREAM THEATER To Tour With TRIVIUM - July 16, 2011 Progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER will embark on a U.S. headlining tour in September with support from their Roadrunner Records labelmates TRIVIUM. Exact cities and dates will be announced soon.

Not sure how I feel about this. Somebody on the Blabbermouth comments said they wondered if DT was doing this to grab the younger fans of Trivium. If they are, it just might work. If this is strictly a Roadrunner cash grab (which I suspect more than the previous statement), might be bad. Either way, I'll be there.

Not sure how I feel about this. Somebody on the Blabbermouth comments said they wondered if DT was doing this to grab the younger fans of Trivium. If they are, it just might work. If this is strictly a Roadrunner cash grab (which I suspect more than the previous statement), might be bad. Either way, I'll be there.

Roadrunner doesn't do 360 deals (and even if they did Roadrunner would make more money if they did separate headlining tours), how is this a cashgrab?

Horrible pairing IMO. After seeing Trivium yesterday at the Mayhem Festival it just reiterates the fact that they suck. That being said I'll certainly be there for DT though.

A prog snob nightmare. Nothing pleases me more.

I could see where the prog-only fans would hate this, but I don't consider myself a prog snob in the least and I still feel it's not a good pairing. I just feel that the amount of Trivium fans who will be turned onto DT and become "new" fans is minimal at best. Same goes for the DT fan who has never heard Trivium. There are a zillion other bands that would be more appropriate. I agree with the previous post about it having to do something with RR records and $$$.

I actually like both bands, though I really think the new Trivium single sort of sucks (and don't even get me started with that joke of a music video). However, I don't think this is a good pairing. The times I've seen Trivium, they're the type of band that likes to rile up the fans and get the pits going. I don't know what the venues are yet, but typically Dream Theater has exclusively seated venues. I would love to go to this, but it being in September is going to make it very hard for me.

What do you mean by a "360 deal"? I assume 360 refers to a full circle or complete loop or something, but what does that mean in terms of tour booking?

Just curious...

It means nothing in terms of booking because Roadrunner doesn't book tours (although they do have significant influence with booking agents on getting their acts on big tours, etc), but it does mean that the label can take a % from all revenue streams of the act -- CD sales, merch sales, booking fees, publishing, etc. RR takes publishing and CD sales, not merch or booking fees. Most labels don't do 360 deals except for like Sumerian because they actually book the bands themselves.