Dredg thoughts

localloadie said:
Well I don't know marveling over how experimental and progressive that Dredg group isn't extremely stupid. The composition of the progressions are the old I IV V (I bet there is only one other person who has a clue what that means in this forum). They're using common time in the songs I can hear and their isn't much other than basic rhythmic patterns. So my question is how the fuck is that shit experimental? I'd like one of you dipshits to really break it down for me, I really would.

when did i say they were "experimental" asshole? they are just creating good music with good feeling and doing it quite interesting.

if you can't appreciate what these guys are doing because they are not experimental enough or because they play basic rhythmic patterns i feel sorry for you... your head has reached higher up your ass

worldwide_suicide said:
i'm too lazy to list all the reasons why dredg is great... it's your loss so i won't bother

Don't bother, I wouldn't agree with you anyway, and based on what I heard I don't feel there is any loss on my part at all. That's the great thing about an opinion, it doesn't have to be the same as everyone elses. At least when mine differs to yours though, I don't feel the need to call you stupid because of it. On the contrary I think it is very stupid to think that given your obvious inability to analyse anything that you think you are in a position to call anyone esle stupid for not agreeing.

Nothinggod said:
I have to admit I had never heard of these guys before. I thought since you were all so excited about them apparently, they must be worth a listen. Personally I don't really see what is either progressive or experimental about I IV V progressions in 4/4 at all. This sounds to me like the same kind of thing Oasis or U2 or the Verve were doing 10 years ago. I could have lived in my former ignorance of these guys quite happily.
1. the definition of progressive is typically more general than that.
2. progressive != good.
3. CWA is not progressive in any form. (assuming you listened to that)
4. spelling this out made me :ill:

5. edit - fast forum

worldwide_suicide said:
when did i say they were "experimental" asshole? they are just creating good music with good feeling and doing it quite interesting.

if you can't appreciate what these guys are doing because they are not experimental enough or because they play basic rhythmic patterns i feel sorry for you... your head has reached higher up your ass
Prove it is good to the point where I can't have a difference of opinion

Braighs said:
1. the definition of progressive is typically more general than that.
2. progressive != good.
3. CWA is not progressive in any form. (assuming you listened to that)
4. spelling this out made me :ill:
Actually I listened to music from each of their records. Good is a matter of opinion.

i called you stupid because of the reasons you listed for disliking a band, and i still think you're stupid for disapproving a band based on how experimental they are or what rhythmic patterns they use

worldwide_suicide said:
i called you stupid because of the reasons you listed for disliking a band, and i still think you're stupid for disapproving a band based on how experimental they are or what rhythmic patterns they use

Who cares why I like or dislike them though, fact remains that I do. By your logic I could conversely say you are pretty stupid to like this band based on the fact you haven't "bothered" to analyse them. You assume too much to think that that is why I like or dislike them anyway. It was merely a comment on how they present themselves as experimental and progressive. I personally don't see how they are given those factors.

hmm...I thought they didn't want to presesnt themselves like that since CWA...
but you need a big perspective change if you don't think Leitmotif and El Cielo are experimental. progressive could be debated.

Braighs said:
hmm...I thought they didn't want to presesnt themselves like that since CWA...
but you need a big perspective change if you don't think Leitmotif and El Cielo are experimental. progressive could be debated.
My perspective is fine, I know exactly how to analyse a piece of music, especially when it is as straight forward as the music of this band. I don't see how playing the most basic diatonic based progression in common time is experimenting. It's not like they are basing microtonal melodic structures on kabbalistic numerology in order to explore the tonal function of the golden mean. Given, the term 'experimental' could be seen as relative, but what are these guys experimental relative to? 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star'?

...relative to alot of bands that their fans listen to, bands in the hardcore/alt rock scene. Honestly, this has more to do with the things they add to the music (soundscapes, concepts) than with the music itself. That's why I wouldn't argue that they are progressive.

Braighs said:
...relative to alot of bands that their fans listen to, bands in the hardcore/alt rock scene. Honestly, this has more to do with the things they add to the music (soundscapes, concepts) than with the music itself. That's why I wouldn't argue that they are progressive.

What do their fans have to do with anything? I'll tell you, and this is a fact not an opinion, nothing. The fanbase of a band is completely arbitrary to the music that band makes. The fact remains I have analysed the methods this band uses beyond all opinion. What they are doing technically isn't an opinion. It's a fact. I most certainly am qualified to state unequivolcally that based on what I have heard, this band plays pretty much exclusively I IV V progressions in common time; Fact. What their fan base listens to and likes doesn't change that fact one tiny little bit. As for the so called "soundscapes", they are included in the analysis. Furthermore soundscapes are not an entity apart from music they ARE music; Fact. I don't like this band, or at least they don't excite or interest me, they remind me of Oasis U2 and The Verve among others; Opinion. You think they are great despite obviously not understanding a word I have said about the technical merits of them; Opinion, and you are entitled to that opinion and you are entitled to be ignorant ofthe technicalities I have mentioned. I don't make any assumptions about you based on that other than that you are fighting a losing battle arguing the point by using claims that I don't understand what they are doing or I need to change my perspective. I really don't see how I do need to and you don't see me telling you that you need to stop listening to this [in my opinion] amaturishly writen drivel that gets by on the fact that it has good marketing and production values. I think that you really just need to learn to live with a difference of opinion.

Clearly Nothinggod understands the difference between an opinion and a fact. The last few posts are no different than watching 2 guys (one who has never been in a real fight in his life and one who has been 200 actual physical confrontations on the street) argue about "how great Jackie Chan is". Nothinggod is arguing from an entirely different perspective.... and frankly is doing it well. Calm down and read his posts ffs.

BTW: I love dredg. I've seen them countless times over the years. I'm also not a musician and appreciate them on a level that's technically inferior to someone with an advanced knowlege of music theory. I would not classify them as "Progressive" in the technical sense, but I find their music and their live shows quite enjoyable and they are very cool guys. They have 2 concept records... Leitmotif and El Cielo which are great listens and the concepts have added to my personal enjoyment of said records. Perhaps it's not worth your time Nothinggod, but some may enjoy checking out my buddies site dedicated to the band with some in depth looks at everything dredg. Here.

:irule:

WTF people.
When did I say who should like what? I simply pointed out some experimental elements in dredg's music.

Sorry if I don't have the time or patience to dwell on every detail of every post on your precious forum Mr. Sammy.

Nothinggod, I understand completely what you mean by chord progressions and meter. You put too much emphasis on these. Many great pieces of music follow simple structures. then again, I never once said dredg was "great". I said "enjoyable". ...oh shit better put OPINION after that or I'll get another lecture.

I think that you really just need to learn to live with a difference of opinion.
LMAO

It's not like they are basing microtonal melodic structures on kabbalistic numerology in order to explore the tonal function of the golden mean.
LMAO. It's a fuking alt/rock band, not 20th century modernism.
Your absurd, often over-the-top attempts at sounding intellectual are quite grating, and stray off topic easily.

:angry tomato:

Braighs said:
Sorry if I don't have the time or patience to dwell on every detail of every post on your precious forum Mr. Sammy. :angry tomato:

Braighs: First.... this isn't my forum, it's the bands and I just keep order here. Next, stop being an angry tomato. I really wasn't addressing you exclusively nor directly. I don't really see anything wrong with your posts. Last night when I read this thread I made my last comment based on how the overall discussion struck me. I didn't really see anyone being "wrong" but that the discussion appeared.... like I said. This frankly highlights why I have such a low post count in the overall scheme of things. Every time I post it's going to be analyzed and disssected and usually criticized because I'm "The Moderator". I think I do a pretty damn good job though if I do say so myself. So anyway, sorry if it looked like I was slagging you because I wasn't.:saint:

Nothinggod: out of curiosity... what exactly did you listen to? and how long or how many times? Obviously we're all different... but personally I have found that about 90% of the music I REALLY like and sticks with me doesn't "Click" with me in the first or even the second or third listen and as with Opeth, dredg records (with the exception of CWA, imho) really don't lend themselves to single song listens but rather listening to the whole record through.

The last few posts are no different than watching 2 guys (one who has...
= addressing exclusively and directly
imo, we were having a calm yet grating discussion, then I got double teamed.
your title is "moderator" not "instigator". but you usually are good at this.

Nothinggod: yes, Soundscapes is a loaded word. I was describing something like staccato distorted guitars over a legato viola motif (see: 18 people living in harmony)--something not typically found in the genre.