Drip drip, from you sagging lip!

Apr 8, 2006
Lahore, Pakistan
Mike on his myspace:

"I spent a few days in London and guys...I've met a few very interesting persons, namely the original line-up of Comus, one of my all time favourite bands. Me and my friend, Stefan Dimle (owner of the Mellotronen store) had dinner with them and I tell ya, it was amazing! Stefan is putting together a fantastic package for a upcoming gig, due to take place in March 2008 on a ferry cruise between Sweden and Finland. Comus will play on this boat for the first time since 1974! I'm still in shock!

I had Glen Goring play "The Herald" in front of my fucking face! I can't believe it...there's a clip on Youtube that Stefan posted and I look like a grinning idiot! Wow! I have met Roger Wootton, my hero...the guy who've inspired me a 1000 times and more! I got a miniature boat as a gift from Bobbie Watson, who is probably one of the sweetest person I've ever met. I had Andy Hellaby insist on paying my beer after having slammed a copy of their ultra rare 7" single on the table before my eyes. I guess you cannot understand my excitement if you're not.....me.

Later that day I met Pete French, for me legendary for his vocal work in bands like Leafhound (also playing on the boat), Atomic Rooster and Cactus. Perfect gentleman and he told some great stories too! As I went to bed, instead of my usual dreams about filthy sex I was dreaming about 7" Comus singles, Leafhound original Lp's and the chance of hearing "Diana" live! Dreams can come true...sorry for that fucking cliché...really, sorry!

Anyways, I had to share that with you.

Also saw Dream Theater last night and they were great! Listening to....."Songs of experience" by David Axelrod! Great record! Playing "Bioshock"....great game! Melinda is now a big fan of Kiss, and me and my wife have to listen to "Dynasty" maybe 3-4 times a day. I have nothing to do with it, she's just a fan...now, all of a sudden. Anyways, good choice I must say...we bought her a personal vinyl copy of the album so she can listen to it as much as she wants.

Hope you're all well!
Cheers
Mike
----

*your

My god! thats awesome! I had feared that line up had disappeared forever! Do you have any information about this concert? It would be so amazing if now, thirty years on, this resurgence in interest in Comus allowed them to start playing together again. Who knows what could happen!

I can't believe the things I find on this forum. I used to listen to The Herald on repeat before I listened to Opeth. Seeing Mikael in the same video as the man who plays my favorite acoustic guitar sequence is really awesome.

:cry:

I can just assume most of this forum knows about Comus. But to bring people up to date on the opeth/comus connection I'll try.

Mike has used handfuls of Comus lyrics, through out Opeth's Work. The most known being the line "my arms your hearse" taken from Comus's song "drip drip". He has also used "the baying of the hounds" lyric from the song "Diana". But there is other small comus lyrics/word/lines being used through out opeth lyrics. But i cant be bothered to list them all right now!

I wonder what the comus guys think about mikes homages to them through opeths material. Or if they like any of opeths stuff. it would be cool.

I didnt know comus, until a few years back when i heard about the connections. But a great album, and a great band.

Comus's following album, is actually pretty good. but its really not THAT amazing when compared to first utterance

Yeah, you can find a lot of these throughout Opeth's career, like Blackwater Park and Master's Apprentices which I think were two bands. Also, the line from Harvest "mourner's lament" is originally the title of a song by Candlemass if I'm not mistaken.

Can some of you point others out? It's intriguing, lol.

That was beautiful! I'd love to see these guys.
I listened to 'The Bite' just earlier today.
edit: no, it was 'The Prisoner'. I was singing it in the shower.
"cold is the climate, dark is the atomic night..."

Cool stuff! I'm definitely going to check out Comus.

It was really nifty to see Mikael's gaze fixed to Glenn's playing... Like a little kid in a candy shop. Or, like we look when we watch a live Opeth gig... hehe. It's cool to learn more about Mikael's musical heroes and musical inspiration.

Yeah, you can find a lot of these throughout Opeth's career, like Blackwater Park and Master's Apprentices which I think were two bands. Also, the line from Harvest "mourner's lament" is originally the title of a song by Candlemass if I'm not mistaken.

Can some of you point others out? It's intriguing, lol.

masters apprentices were an australian band from the 70s i think.

glenn wheatley, their guitarist (i think?) is in jail for fraud or tax evasion or something im pretty sure. he went on to become one of australias most successful agents/managers whatever you want to call them.