Opeth lyrics...from Comus songs?

This topic is straight up retarded. People are linking crack.. with crack.. OMG call the police we have a thief. I guess Mike should have never used words like still life and *gasp* for absent friends because those words are copyrighted you may never use them.

It's been written before, but Mike steals some stuff on purpose as a tribute to ol' faves. All of the album titles are stolen (havent had any source confirmed on Ghost Reveries though..) and a lot of the song titles, examples:

Ghost Reveries wasn't stolen. It was Ghost Reveries or Ghost Stories (because that's what the concept was going to be) and Mike decided on Ghost Reveries.

Strangely, I listen to "To Keep From Crying" more often than "First Utterance"
its such a wacky fun album.
like the inflected "was" on the first track. ahaha

I absolutely cannot believe that "First Utterance" got not-that-great reviews when it came out. Does that really have something to do with why they broke up so soon? They're just one of those bands that I could have used another few albums from.

Whenever Drip Drip gets to "As I carry you to your grave; my arms, your hearse" I get the shivers. The imagery of that whole passage is very simple but chilling. I can't believe I didn't discover this album earlier. I've been playing it non-stop for the last couple of days.

I noticed another thing in 'The Bite':

"A misty cold sad morning greets the Christian's haggard grin"

"White face, haggard grin, the serenity painted death."

Could just be coincidence, but for the fact that this song reminds me of of White Cluster.

i couldn't care less about them breaking up, they really messed up with the second album. i'm trying to forget i ever heard that - it's not really bad, but it sounds like a totally different band.

first utterance is truly one of a kind.

I've never heard "To Keep from Crying." Hmm, I am interested now... anyone got a sample?

I'm sorry if this is getting too off-topic, but I'm sure Mikael would approve of people getting into some Comus! I've been listening to this album (or the mp3s, I only have it on vinyl and my turntable is in the other room) a lot lately!

I really should have. When I bought the "First Utterance" 2LP from Aquarius Records they had the double cd for the same price but I wanted to have that awesome album on vinyl. Big mistake, I hardly listen to my vinyl.

Speaking of other Opeth influences, did anyone else notice a rhythm in Whitesnake's Still of the Night that sounds a lot like the Deliverance outro.

Then there's the mention of the Piper in Advent. Is it just me or does this Piper come up a lot in '70s prog? (In Stairway to heaven, Piper at the Gates of Dawn etc.) Can anyone explain to little ol' me the significance of the piper?

Whenever Drip Drip gets to "As I carry you to your grave; my arms, your hearse" I get the shivers. The imagery of that whole passage is very simple but chilling. I can't believe I didn't discover this album earlier. I've been playing it non-stop for the last couple of days.

I noticed another thing in 'The Bite':

"A misty cold sad morning greets the Christian's haggard grin"

"White face, haggard grin, the serenity painted death."

Could just be coincidence, but for the fact that this song reminds me of of White Cluster.

ive been listening to first utterance alot lately and i think your right about the white cluster thing. i think the concept for still life was based on this album, think he got the idea from first utterance which is really cool. "the rope is slung and the noose is tied and the christian's neck is thin", also a line which could easily have been in white cluster.

First Utterance is a magnificent album. I think the theories concerning the possible link between The Bite and White Cluster are interesting, and they more than likely hold water.

As well as the band Still Life, of course Van Der Graaf Generator also released the classic album "Still Life" too back in the seventies. And there's also The Masters Apprentices from Australia.

This topic is straight up retarded. People are linking crack.. with crack.. OMG call the police we have a thief. I guess Mike should have never used words like still life and *gasp* for absent friends because those words are copyrighted you may never use them.

I stated he stole on purpose as a tribute to ol' faves, and thats a plus in my book. Then you came along, making me wish the internet was not as widely available.

On a lighter note: Comus rules imensley.

I think Madrigal and The Amen Corner are both bands... just to add to your little list here...