Comus - First Utterance

Oh wait you did mean Amon Duul II. Then go for any of the albums you mentioned, "Phallus Dei" might make the passage to their music easier, that's true. Also "Yeti" is their best for me indeed.

This album is so extremely good:\ too bad the vinyl is so extremely expensive.. I will have to sell out for the CD:(

My personal favourites are: Diana, Drip Drip, and The Herald... which I believe are the first 3 off the album!

Thanks to Dick Sirloin I got into this band:headbang: :kickass: :puke: :zombie: :Smokin:

Man no fucking music played AND I see an Apple product in the video.

Thoroughly saddened.

To those who might have skipped the main thread, an exclusive, 4-page interview with all 6 Comus members is available in the latest issue of the Convivial Hermit magazine...

tch5-myspace-sm3.jpg

tch5-text-sm2.jpg

:wave:

I'm about half way through the zine. Nechochwen has been my favorite interview thus far, the gent behind the project seems really well grounded. Quite unfortunate that we were unable to hear a note of his set at HC3 over the drunken ramblings of those near the bar, (myself being one of the main culprits). On the flip side, the darlings from Walknut come off as self absorbed pricks. I haven't got around to the Comus Q & A, just jumping back and forth at my discretion. Ellestin, congrats! You should do a piece on this lovely forum. Now that would make for an interesting read!

Here's a short piece of interview I did with David Tibet about Comus, for another Comus article I'm writing at the moment. Thought some of you would enjoy the raw stuff. Hope that will lure MajestikMoose out of the woods...

1. When and under what circumstances did you first stumble upon Comus? Do you recall what your reaction to their music was back then?

It was in 1987. I was already obsessed with Shirley Collins and had become a great admirer of The Incredible String Band's masterpiece "The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter". Though I was not by any means a "folk" fan per se, I was looking into the more obscure English releases from the 1970s that were described as being "folk-rock"—a horrible, horrible phrase—to find if there were more authentic channels of that same ineffable and beautiful spirit that was so alive and precious in all of Shirley's work and the ISB album. At the time, this being before CDs became so omnipresent, the easiest way to find these albums was in vinyl pirate/bootleg editions, normally on Italian labels. I came across a lot of material that didn't move me at all, and some that I truly disliked. But one album struck my eye—an single-sleeve Italian bootleg of Comus' "First Utterance". Knowing nothing, I took it home, put it on the record player, and my jaw dropped open when I heard the opening of "Diana". It was one of the most powerful pieces of music I had ever heard. And it was TRUE. The album just got better and better and immaculate it was. I phoned Steven Stapleton, whose knowledge of 70s underground music was matchless, and said "Have you heard Comus? They are stunning!" Steve said, "Oh I knew you would love that album. I have been meaning to tell you about it for a couple of years, but I forgot to..."
So then my search began. I bought a copy of the original Dawn album in gatefold sleeve with the insert, athe 7" maxi-single on Dawn and "To Keep From Crying". I then tried to track down Riger Wooton—in the days before the internet—by ringing every single "R. Wooton" I could find in the British phone directories. I didn't succeed. I must also say that I also really loved their follow-up album on Virgin, "To Keep from Crying". It is very underrated. But it went down, down, down like a movie star.

a) How did "First Utterance" impact your own take on musical creation?

I wrote in the liner notes for C93's "Earth Covers Earth" album that it was a "Second Utterance for Comus", and a year or so later I covered their track "Diana" on the C93 "Horsey" album. The album, and the group, affected me so powerfully. It still does. But Comus and their work didn't influence my work except in the broadest sense of their being something that was in me and about whom I told everyone.

b) Do you feel part of Comus' musical legacy?

That isn't for me to say. I love their work and I love them. "First Utterance" was like a lightning storm in my heart when I first it; I have never forgotten the impact it had on me. But I don't feel part of anyone's musical legacy. I am sing the praises of all those whose work I love and which has influneced my heart, even if has not influenced C93 itself in an overt manner

a) I suppose you were overjoyed when you heard of the band getting back together again.

No, I wasn't at all happy. I am usually suspicious of bands reforming. I was shocked and disappointed, and I feared the reformed Comus wouldn't be TRUE. But when I saw them they were magnificent and gorgeous and perfect. So I am overjoyed now. And less cynical, I hope and pray.

b) What is your role at present towards the band? A manager or ambassador of sorts?

I love them, and I will do anything I can to spread the word about them—so in that way I am an enthusiastic ambassador, but with no offical status, as I believe Opeth are and so many others. I am in touch with Bobbie frequently—with whom I and C93 will soon be working—but I am not really in contact with the other members of the band, though I met Roger Wooton a couple of times for lunch before Comus reformed—Ben Chasny was with me at the second lunch. I am honoyred to be playing with them in Paris on June 1.

I have their signed posters in my Summerhouse where I paint and translate Coptic.

I love Comus. Utter on.

djep12.jpg

[Ellestin posting]

Saw Comus live in paris last wednesday, opening for Current 93. Best show in months, maybe years. Graced by a perfect venue (cosy, theatre-like, awesome lighting and sound), both bands delivered like bastards.

Comus made the First Utterance songs rumble and spark like thunder on a grand scenery of savage nature and intertwined flesh. The new song they played (the same they've been playing for two years...) fitted smoothly into the performance. Hope they'll finally release that EP before long.

Current 93 was great too. Unexpected stage configuration (drums, guitar, bass, piano, oud, samples) gave the rearranged songs a lush "post-rock" feel, taken to deep recesses of beauty and intimacy by Tibet's excellent frontman acting.

here's a pretty good video excerpt. Dick Manitobacco should be all over this

Last edited by a moderator:
Your whole post, video included, just pisses me off. I would literally murder a small Hungarian child to attend this show.

looking through some old files the other day and stumbled upon the video for the Mellaboat (whatever) thing they did a few years back

watched it again, excellent performance, when those geezers gonna tour the states?!