Drone Doom

Manbient

Queer Old Man
Jan 12, 2002
Calgary, AB, Canada
www.bumblelovesmusic.com
I couldn't find a thread specifically on this, so i thought i'd make one. Who likes this style? What are some of your favorite bands?

Obviously Sunn O))) is the big name associated with the style right now, but there's a whole shitload of other bands doing something similar that are really quite good. My absolute favorite right now is probably Nadja, but they are more melodic than most and don't entirely fit in. Another one i've been really into lately is Campbell Kneale's drone doom project Black Boned Angel. The second track on Supereclipse is possibly the best drone doom song i've heard. Hjarnidaudi's album is pretty solid as well. I'm not so interested in sludge, which is often mentioned in the same breath as some of these bands... it's too "rock" for me or something, i dunno.

Boris were only drone doom on one CD: ABSOLUTEGO (which is pretty "meh" after all that)...Amp Worship is like half-drone that goes to sludge, stoner doom type stuff, etc...

Listen to:
Black Boned Angel
Hjarnidaudi/Hlidolf
Godgrind
Growing (more ambient than metal, but still)
Moonn
Nadja
Cicadashrine
etc,

It differs, Kurt Cobain has done vocals on an Earth song. Sunn have had a bunch of black metal vocalists on their Black1 album.

It really differs from band to band, of what I have heard, but the thing is typically you will not find anything like power metal vocals and the like.

Alot of the time, you can expect pure instrumentals.

Oh no, not you guys too. I volunteer/dj at my college radio station and they love the shit. I can't stand it. It's absolutely mindless. There is no melody and its just continual and annoying. I'd rather plug my guitar in and turn up the gain and just throw my guitar on the ground and let the noise ring out. Now just extend this for 7-15 min and you have drone doom, or as the rest of the world knows it, total shit.

MetalHeadMarc said:
Oh no, not you guys too. I volunteer/dj at my college radio station and they love the shit. I can't stand it. It's absolutely mindless. There is no melody and its just continual and annoying. I'd rather plug my guitar in and turn up the gain and just throw my guitar on the ground and let the noise ring out. Now just extend this for 7-15 min and you have drone doom, or as the rest of the world knows it, total shit.

listen to Khanate and you will change your mind.

Yes, sludge is too rock-ish and bluesy for me, too. But as for drone doom, I could never get into it, either, but for different reasons. Bands like Sun O))) are so slow that I can't even make out the riffs. Thergothon is the slowest band I will listen to.

Drone has been a tough genre for me to crack I admit (been trying on and off for about a year). I keep trying with Sunn O)))'s Flight of the Behemoth and the Grimmrobe demos but I am having a tough time. I think I am improving slightly though as some of the riffs and ambience is beginning to come more apparent with me.

Could anyone give some me some more accessable drone (if there is such a thing)?

Life Sucks said:
Yes, sludge is too rock-ish and bluesy for me, too. But as for drone doom, I could never get into it, either, but for different reasons. Bands like Sun O))) are so slow that I can't even make out the riffs. Thergothon is the slowest band I will listen to.

Grief aren't very bluesy...they're very minimalist...besides they formed from the ashes of crust-punk legends Disrupt.