Drone Doom

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

drone doom is mostly boring. While I like some(Hlidolf, Sunn O)))'s Black1 album) some just sounds exactly the same (any other Sunn O))), moon D)))

I am a big sludge fan

It's more about the atmosphere. I don't think anyone throws in a Sunn cd while they're driving to work or anything. I feel the best way to get into music like this is to listen to it while you go to sleep. You need to have the right mindset and not expect good "songs" but more just feeling and atmosphere.

Haha, do they play in similar venues all over the world?

red4.jpg

from their gig here

Lyle said:
boris are fantastic but they only played drone really on the album absolutego which is also their worst!!!

^^^

Anyone who says Sunn is just feedback obviously have not bothered to listen to them enough.

I bought Sunn0)))'s White1 album last month and hated it at first. I gave it a second listen and I really got into it. I've been looking for good drone bands ever since.

Plus, I found White2 at a local cd store. I plan on buying it next time I'm in there.

Mumblefood, it's great to see threads about something other than the usual around here! I'm pretty new to this stuff (I own 4 Boris albums, 1 Earth album and 1 Sunn O))) album but have heard many more manifestations of the genre)

I'm also interested in how drone is involved in folk, modern classical and other kinds of music. Very interesting, especially to refute people who say drone isn't music!

I'm not really into khanate, but saw them live with a friend. It was just great to be at a show not getting slapped in the face by a jackie chan faggot. Everyone was calm quit and relaxed. The atmosphere was cool.

The music seemed to evolve over time. At first the drummer was very basic, then he would slowly step it up so the band kinda had little climaxes, like a build up of some sort based on simplicity and atmosphere. The vocalist was running through some effects loops or something.

yeah Drone Doom has more in common with Ambient and Noise then it does with Metal overall...
I'll second Boris, Khanate, and Earth.
I'll recommend
Unearthly Trance
Pelican(only the early stuff, the newer stuff is Sludge)
as long as we're getting into stuff thats semi Drone
Bohren & Der Club of Gore
Toby Driver
and hell just about everything V.V.V.V.V recommended he has awesome taste for this sort of stuff.
Jesu is the most accessible Drone/Doom band currently i'd say

Father Belial said:
I bought Sunn0)))'s White1 album last month and hated it at first. I gave it a second listen and I really got into it. I've been looking for good drone bands ever since.

Plus, I found White2 at a local cd store. I plan on buying it next time I'm in there.

White1 is their least-best CD...all of them are >8/10, but I feel White1 is closest to an 8 out of all 5 (6 if you count Demos as a CD, which you should in their case, since it got repressed and is available publicly)...

In my opinion!:

00 Void > Grimmrobe Demos (if you count it) > White2 > Black One > Flight Of The Behemoth > White1

Blinded By Blood said:
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

WAAAAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAAAAAAA

complain somewhere else :p

Is jesu drone...if so i am amazed at the s/t album.
Sunn 0))) at frist was hard to get into but i got into them after hearing "It Took A Night To Belive" with wrest on vocals.