Drop B Bass!

Deebo

Dirty Man-Horse
Jan 14, 2008
Utah
Hey dudes I just Bought a Schecter Elite and Its a 4 string and our new guitarist tunes to Drop B But when I go that low its shakes like a mother. So I went and Bought .105 Gauge strings STILL Shakey what do I need to do In order to get the shake out of my Bass?

The bassist in my band had the same problem. Just raise the action on the bass so that the strings sit further away from the frets and wont vibrate on them.

Thank god people were telling me I had to get a 5 string in order to do it thanks man!

You have to buy the .130 string seperate
...so you just have to get a .130, and move every present string up one step (I suck at explaining)

Might need to have the slots filed to accommodate heavier strings.

I'd make all of the strings heavier, honestly - just get a 5-string set and don't use the thinnest, or try to match tensions with a custom set from JustStrings.com or a site like that.

Jeff

We tune to drop B and our bassist uses a 5-string set and throws away the thinnest string.

Someone should finally make a .135 set for 4-string basses

Thank god people were telling me I had to get a 5 string in order to do it thanks man!

crap, 1 string more or less does no effect on the string tension (same on 6 and 7 string guitars..) what you need is a longer scale, but you should be fine with thicker strings. 0.130 or 0.135 sounds good to me ;)

A 5-string in with a standard string gauge makes a HELL of a lot more sense compared to dropping a 4-string down 5-steps. Plus, unless that bass of yours is 35" scale (which most 4 strings are not) than you are going to have a bitch time getting it to play right. If your neck is 35" - than technically you'd be fine filing your nut to fit the larger strings - but if you want to go back to standard - you'll have issues. With a 5-string, you don't loose anything you had with a 4-string. You just add more.

A 5-string in with a standard string gauge makes a HELL of a lot more sense compared to dropping a 4-string down 5-steps. Plus, unless that bass of yours is 35" scale (which most 4 strings are not) than you are going to have a bitch time getting it to play right. If your neck is 35" - than technically you'd be fine filing your nut to fit the larger strings - but if you want to go back to standard - you'll have issues. With a 5-string, you don't loose anything you had with a 4-string. You just add more.

5-strings are for bitches.

Hey dudes I just Bought a Schecter Elite and Its a 4 string and our new guitarist tunes to Drop B But when I go that low its shakes like a mother. So I went and Bought .105 Gauge strings STILL Shakey what do I need to do In order to get the shake out of my Bass?

he should have bought a 5 string!
4string/dropb is a NOGO...i wonder if this will ever work.

S.