Drudkh's 'Blood in Our Wells' - Overrated or Not?

Shut the fuck up Hubster. It's not even close to be as brilliant as Forgotten legends. That being said, the album is good and has a lot of great ideas, but it's just solid Drudkh put into a folk atmosphere; moreover, I like it quite a bit actually, especially how they use melodies, which are more prolific compared to the black metal material. They actually did this in Fallen into Oblivion too, and did a damn good job at it.

Okaaaay. You've just said positive things about Songs Of Grief And Solitude... Am I supposed to be shutting the fuck up because you feel it's not as important as their other works, despite being a great work anyway?

This
but it's just solid Drudkh put into a folk atmosphere
I don't agree with.

Personally I think this kind of approach is exactly why the general reception to Songs Of Grief And Solitude was not good. People were expecting "acoustic black metal by Drudkh", or a complex acoustic onslaught.

It is not just "solid Drudkh put into a folk atmosphere", it is infact something which goes even further that. Consider how culturally influenced Drudkh's music is as a whole - Songs Of Grief And Solitude goes a HUGE step further into culture and a big step away from Black Metal (infact a huge step away from Western Music as a whole), and more into gypsy territory.

Songs Of Grief And Solitude is not folk music as the metal world mostly knows it. Forget the Nordic folk styles you've heard in Black Metal, and for those less versed in Black Metal, forget any American folk music from the 60s or 70s. Songs Of Grief And Solitude is purely cultural music, removed of any trace that it has links to Black Metal, and this is why many people just don't get it: they are applying Western Music/Black Metal expectations onto a recording which is purely about culture.

Okaaaay. You've just said positive things about Songs Of Grief And Solitude... Am I supposed to be shutting the fuck up because you feel it's not as important as their other works, despite being a great work anyway?

This I don't agree with.

Personally I think this kind of approach is exactly why the general reception to Songs Of Grief And Solitude was not good. People were expecting "acoustic black metal by Drudkh", or a complex acoustic onslaught.

It is not just "solid Drudkh put into a folk atmosphere", it is infact something which goes even further that. Consider how culturally influenced Drudkh's music is as a whole - Songs Of Grief And Solitude goes a HUGE step further into culture and a big step away from Black Metal (infact a huge step away from Western Music as a whole), and more into gypsy territory.

Songs Of Grief And Solitude is not folk music as the metal world mostly knows it. Forget the Nordic folk styles you've heard in Black Metal, and for those less versed in Black Metal, forget any American folk music from the 60s or 70s. Songs Of Grief And Solitude is purely cultural music, removed of any trace that it has links to Black Metal, and this is why many people just don't get it: they are applying Western Music/Black Metal expectations onto a recording which is purely about culture.

No you are supposed to shut the fuck up because it isn't any were close to being as good as Forgotten Legends.

Second, I say it's in a folk atmosphere because you can hear the similary style of melodies that Drudkh has put forth through their black metal releases, and folk is just a huge genre I wasn't trying to set into a specific style. That's it. I was strictly commenting on the music into one sentence.

:lol:

I think even if Drudkh released a shitty album, Hubster still wouldn't admit it :D

Well, they haven't released a shitty one :rolleyes: So far imo, they're on a roll. Consistent release after release.

you've never heard Astrofaes before? shame on you...

Thurios (Astrofaes) (2004)

Saenko (Hate Forest) (2005)

PS. both Thurios and Saenko are singing at the end of Cold from the Grave, there you can hear the difference.

Ah yes. Then I guess it is Saenko who does the growl work in Hate Forests material, and Thurios who does the higher registered Black Vocals. I thought it was the other way around.

Very much liking Astrofaes btw. I must get my hands on their material. Shame on me indeed. This is a band who I should have investigated a long time ago.

I got this album yesterday and have listened to it about 5 or 6 times, its pretty damn good imLo, as its the only Drudkh album I have. The guitar playing was a huge surprise! I want more and to listen to this more.

Blood in our wells is one of their best.

I think F Legends and AA are excellent albums, but BIOW has better musicanship.

You cant listen to BIOW and think of FL or AA, you have to listen to it for what it is.

I see much progress in this album. It's not as repetitive and drawn out as FL and the drumming has much more structure.

Either way I don't care to rank these 3 albums as they are ALL amazing.

Just beautiful guitar work:worship:

I've loved these guys since the first release, when they were really obscure. Blood in Our Wells is their best album yet, in my opinion. It simply is a modern classic. It fuses Ukranian folk and atmospheric black metal flawlessly.

Indeed. And despite Anti-Urban being a "quick chop", I think it is also a solid piece of work. Enstrangement will no doubt be a great album.

Could anyone upload Anti-Urban, or post a link where I can download it. I'd really appreciate it. I don't feel like paying for it; I've payed for three of their albums anyway. They should be happy.

That's pretty shitty logic. You didn't pay for Anti-Urban. Either buy it or scrounge for mp3s yourself. Uploads of in print material are not allowed here.

Could anyone upload Anti-Urban, or post a link where I can download it. I'd really appreciate it. I don't feel like paying for it; I've payed for three of their albums anyway. They should be happy.

You "don't feel" like paying for it? Who the fuck do you think you are? Don't come here and ask us to fuck over the band. We spend money to support the bands we love. GTFO of this thread!

You "don't feel" like paying for it? Who the fuck do you think you are? Don't come here and ask us to fuck over the band. We spend money to support the bands we love. GTFO of this thread!

Fuck you, cunt scab! You were sucking on your mommy's titties when I was out supporting the bands that you love today. Don't get big and try pissing all over me with your bullshit "authority". I buy albums on a weekly basis at the very least. Don't fucking tell me what to do or where to go either. You must feel like a badass typing behind that keyboard of yours. You're lucky, I'd kick the shit out of you if you were in my presence.