Drum mic's

It looks like I'm not getting these mic's and using the studios Shure PG set ( :yuk: ), the band can't afford the £115 that it'll cost to hire them right now and I'm in two minds as to whether or not I should put the money up myself so they can pay me back (they've been friends for years).

Has anyone got any experience with putting their own money into projects? Is it a no go?

Razorjack said:
It looks like I'm not getting these mic's and using the studios Shure PG set ( :yuk: ),

I don't think shure pg set is that bad, ok is nothing compared to akg or shure SM series
PG81 is one of the best cheap condenser on the market, ok it's not like the sm version, but sound good on oh's.
The rest of the set is good on toms, on snare they suck, maybe the kick mic is not that good for tracking bassdrums.
I mean is just 400 euros for an almost complete set.

Maurizio

Since you're not getting paid, be sure to get your credit on their record as PRODUCER. Do a kickass job, and you're sure to get laid from one (or two!) of the bands groupies at the very least. If they don't have any groupies, make them buy you a hooker!

We'll end up using a mix of PG56 and SM57's on the toms (all 6 of them), my Audix D6 and i5 on the kick and snare, a pair of Rode NT5's for overheads and maybe PG81's on the hi-hat and the ride. It won't sound terrible but I'd have prefered the MD421's and the km84's.

Also, Frank'nfurter you're making me feel bad for giving my friends a break!! From my point of view, I get my name on a CD that should get a good amount of publicity and I also get the chance to use the album as the final project for my university course.

metalkingdom said:
Since you're not getting paid, be sure to get your credit on their record as PRODUCER. Do a kickass job, and you're sure to get laid from one (or two!) of the bands groupies at the very least. If they don't have any groupies, make them buy you a hooker!

I'm already going out with one of their groupies, who also happens to be a fetish model :D

Also, I'm working on the production credit. I will have done the job.

Sorry dude, I don't wanna make you feel bad in relation to your friends. If they are good friends of you they will give you a attention in sort of maybe money or in a credit.
However, tell your friends NOT to talk to third's that you will do the job for free. That's not good advertising.
You know, people could think: "....hey, this guy does it for free? Has he not enough confidence in his work to get payed..."
I have experienced such conversations in the past...

But don't take this to serious, you know, just my 2 cents...

Frank'nfurter said:
Sorry dude, I don't wanna make you feel bad in relation to your friends. If they are good friends of you they will give you a attention in sort of maybe money or in a credit.
However, tell your friends NOT to talk to third's that you will do the job for free. That's not good advertising.
You know, people could think: "....hey, this guy does it for free? Has he not enough confidence in his work to get payed..."
I have experienced such conversations in the past...

But don't take this to serious, you know, just my 2 cents...

You didn't make me feel too bad, don't worry my bank balance felt worse than I did :loco: . I'm pretty certain the band know not to tell anyone else that I work for free (and will make sure I tell them specifically tell them not too), 'cos for anyone else I don't!! The last paid job I did was a live CD for my uncle (a club singer) and that cost him $500 at family rate and it was only a days work!!

Why does everyone use crappy SM57 and SM58's? When you can get much mic's like Sennheisers, they sound much better, more reliable, better built and have a better warranty and support?

Blows my mind.

WingsofRedemption said:
Why does everyone use crappy SM57 and SM58's? When you can get much mic's like Sennheisers, they sound much better, more reliable, better built and have a better warranty and support?

Blows my mind.

You do not really expect that this question will be answered, huh?

Or in other words, WHAT THE F*** make you think SM57/58 is crapp???? :loco: