Drum Mics

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
Hey guys, well I am in the market for some Drum mics, I want to start doing drums acoustically and want to buy some cheap but usable drum mics.
Any suggestion???
Cheers

What's cheap? You can get a sweet Audix DP5a kit and a decent pair of overheads for $800-900, that's what I did. I won my Audix mics on eBay for just under $500 and picked up a pair of Audio Technica ATM450s on eBay for $300. Also got a pair of Studio Projects C4s for $300 that are nice overheads as well. I've heard good things about the MXL 603s and those are SUPER cheap.

audix d6 or shure beta 52 for kick.
57's for toms
rode nt5 or whatever the oktavas are. mk019 i think

I'd go with some small diaphragm condensors for your overhead mics if you will mainly be doing metal.

Edit: Possibly the Oktava MK-012's which Oz likes a ton, or the AKG Perception 150's or 170's.

Those audix fusion ones are very good for the money and convienience. my drummer has one and we ended up using the tom mics and overheads for our recording which the drums came out very nice on- in fact we were especially happy with the tom and cymbal sounds. We used sm57's on the snare and a beta 52 on the kick inside with the audix on the outside of the kick. they're a great set for getting started with and the clips and stuff are handy cause you don't need extra mic stands for the toms and snare.

hey guys thanks for all the advice!
Forbiddens suggestion seems pretty darn good :)
Thanks again and you'll hear from me soon, I'm like an annoying trainee from McDonalds, all these f*^King questions :p

Don't stress dude. I think this place needed some new blood already. It got to a point where all the new people were just stubourn and weren't listening to advice and just arguing.

At least you're learning and making discussion.

Any clue when the first Orpheus gig is going to be? I'm sure Ermin or Joao will let me know when it happens, but any idea if it will be soon?

You could try the Red5 drum mics. Those are cheap and always get good reviews. I got mine on ebay new for $300

Or you could upgrade to the kit with large diaphragm overheads for $450 I believe. Anyway, check out some reviews.

d6 is my favorite kick mic for metal
the 604's are really great and easy tom mics to use, the audix i5 is another great choice (especially for floor toms)
i like the mxl 603s for cheap overheads
for snare the sm57 is a nice bet

if you have one lying around for guitar, the e609 makes a good tom mic

I'd probably go with the Audix set out of those. Having said that, they're all live based "sets", so how that translates into a recorded metal sound (which I'm assuming you're going for) could be up for questioning.

At the end of the day, they're like the equivalent of the Shure PG series: Based on the "standard"/ high quality mics, but are cheaper for a reason. You'd probably like to ask yourself;
1. how long do you intend on using/ keeping the mics? (So, is it worth spending more to keep them longer, or even less so you can upgrade sooner)
2. will you be taking them on the road too? (In which case you'd want them to last and sound good in all situations)

I've used some PG/ cheaper mics (with cord and cordless) and can say that they do differ in their frequency, proximity and transient response.

One solution might be if you know of anyone who is able to lend you mics, especially for overheads. That way, you can spend another$400-450 on some more 57s for toms and however much more on a kick mic (I don't like the D112 or Beta 52's personally, so would either go Sennheiser, i have the e901 boundary mic, or the D6 like others have mentioned).
This way, all the mics are ones that you will keep for ages.

Maybe your drummer could invest some $$$ into it too, since he could use the mics live?

Well I'm only intending them to sit in the studio *house :p* :)
I basically want to have the toms miced properly, the overheads miced properly, and snare and bass drum will be triggered and re sampled most likely
So that's what I want to do, but unfortuantely my budget is around $400 aussie
But I'll be using ebay as my buying medium, so this isn't a bad budget considering how cheap americans have mics for *damn Asutralia* XD