Drum Mics

again i agree with....the samson 7 mic kit will get the job done and later when you have the money, get an audix D6 and use the samsons' Qkick as a floor tom mic.

yeah the samson 7 mic kit to get yourself going is a great start. i use it, and then i trigger my toms, kick and for snare ill either fully replace or use the standard SM57 mic'd track blended with a sample or summat!! plus the samson package is very reasonable priced, wey it is here in the UK

oK, say I go for the Samson Q 7 pack. If I want to record each mic separately, how should I interface them with my computer???

firepod bro!!! seems to be the goto interface for beginning/intermediate ae`s
some may disagree, but professional sounding recordings can be made with this unit, and its cheap so you won`t regret purchasing it!!! also it should last you for a while!!!

if the firepod is expandable then yes i'd go for it too. go for something that will allow you to add more inputs.

yeah the samson 7 mic kit to get yourself going is a great start. i use it, and then i trigger my toms, kick and for snare ill either fully replace or use the standard SM57 mic'd track blended with a sample or summat!! plus the samson package is very reasonable priced, wey it is here in the UK

yes and use a sm57 for your snare top....and the samson C02h that comes with the samson mic kit to mic the bottom of the snare. in that kit you get a Qsnare and three Qtoms....dont worry they are the exact same mic....you can use the Qsnare as a tom mic, so if you have a drummer with four or more toms....you're covered.

the firepod is great but at arund 650AU + 400$ for mics, I don't have that cash, My limit was just under 600. So I think the triggered way is how I'll be doing it!
When I have more cash then maybe this will be the way to go, but untill then :)

Whether you are triggering or not dude, you still need 7 inputs on your soundcard minimum to record a standard 5 piece drumset. 6 if you want to have the rack toms share a mic. Or you could buy real triggers and a drum module and record the MIDI signals instead of audio if your soundcard has MIDI in...

I'm going to be honest here. After all the suggestions, I get the feeling you want to be able to do it all without spending the cash needed to invest. If you want to record a whole drumet, get a 8 channel interface and good mics. If you are on a budget, still get the interface, but instead only get 4 really good mics (good OH pair, SM57 & Audix D6). You can actually mic your kit up pretty well image wise with only 3-4 mics. Of course having control over each drum in the mix is nice, but without investing into the stuff needed it's just not practical.

Buyer cheap mics just to be able to do it all will sound much worse if you bought 3-4 good mics and had less control in the mix. Just get your OHs to capture the whole image of the kit (cym, toms, snare) and then bring up the spot mics on kick & snare till it's nice and full.

I'm going to be honest here. After all the suggestions, I get the feeling you want to be able to do it all without spending the cash needed to invest. If you want to record a whole drumet, get a 8 channel interface and good mics. If you are on a budget, still get the interface, but instead only get 4 really good mics (good OH pair, SM57 & Audix D6). You can actually mic your kit up pretty well image wise with only 3-4 mics. Of course having control over each drum in the mix is nice, but without investing into the stuff needed it's just not practical.

Buyer cheap mics just to be able to do it all will sound much worse if you bought 3-4 good mics and had less control in the mix. Just get your OHs to capture the whole image of the kit (cym, toms, snare) and then bring up the spot mics on kick & snare till it's nice and full.

I have to agree with this... You need to drop at least a grand or so to be able to mic a drum kit if you're starting from scratch... An expensive hobby engineering is!

The Firepod is pretty much the cheapest 8 input interface around and it's $500 which is pretty much your whole budget. What sound card do you have now? You need at the bare minimum 4 inputs to record drums if you are planning on getting your tom sound from the overheads, 6-7 if you are close micing the toms.

hey guys, so, the Samson 7Q pack + Presonus is the way I'm going!
Cheers! XD

you're making a wise decision there....dont go the easy route

i agree also....but dont feel bad cause we have all been there but you will quickly find out that this is an expensive game and if you wanna play it...you gotta pay.

thanks guys, yeh I guess I will rack up the cash and do it properly, been using drumagog lately to see how it goes, I'm really enjoying this program also~
Does anyone here have any personal Experience with the Samson Q kit also?

Hey dude, I really like it :) Sounds great!
Hopefully atleast my techniques will get better so I can do these mics some justice :)
What amps did you use btw? I like the tone :)