Drum Mics

Ah... I thought you said $AUD600-700. $AUD400 is a different story haha.

Maybe those kits would be your best bet for that budget. If you could increase it, then I would definately recommend other mics, though, for the reasons stated in my previous post.
Just to clarify, I made those observations on "budget mics" through experience with my band, mainly used on live vocals. I'm sure it would be just as noticable on drums.

The "starting out" period is a tough one.

haha, yeh basically, starting out on a student budget too lol!
But basically I just want to achieve some overall average to good sounding demos. I basically record local bands who DONT have money for studio time, and usually probably aren't ready for it. So far I've recorded 2 starting bands and have had to whip their butts into shape :p
All good fun though, recording is a freaking sweet hobby, I mean some get annoyed by the work bah blah but I love all the mixing and recording, it's something to be proud of when it's done etc :)

Haha, yeah I can understand that. That's where I started, and sort of left off. I don't do much recording now days, but being in a band and getting to use really shit to decent gear keeps the ears working and the learning active, along with this forum.

If you're going to replace everything afterwards, have you considered an electronic kit? I really have to be the one to say it... but to get drums even remotely usable in a proper mix you need a shit hot kit, with shit hot mics, with shit hot pres & shit hot converters...... and a shit hot room.... oh and not to mention shit hot skills. Pretty steep requirements aren't they?

I would never record drums at home and it's why I always freelance at local studios with good recording gear/rooms when I do important recording.

You will more than likely get better results either learning to program drums well (DFHS, EzD, Slate... SLATE>... FUCKENSLATEEEEE) or getting the drummer to play an electronic kit and sequencing samples off it. Or another option, if you want natural cymbals and some 'room tone' (at home this usually translates to 'shit') then you can get some bullshit kick/snare/tom mics and good overhead mics, and sample replace everything apart from them.

Funnily enough the best drum mix I've done was recorded in a games room (right next to a pool table). I think it depends on the room itself, whether you can treat it, and how good you are at recording drums. Nonetheless for $400 I would recommend a good sample pack over anything else.

Ermin, I think that's what I want to do! me thinks Trigger the kick and snare toms and do some GOOD overheads for the cymbals!
Suggestions! $400 and I want to get 1 SM 57 while I'm at it XD

if you're triggering, then check out the samson Q kit, for the money they sound pretty good, especially the kick drum mic!!!

Ive uploaded an mp3 of when i recorded my bands demo with no processing of the kick, i was in a small room and got a shit load of kit bleed unfortunately, but for a raw sound its very easy to work with, but also have the option of replacing with a sample!

the clip is Mapex V series kick > Samson Q Kick > MOTU 828MKII

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=783764&songID=6393961

I would say just get some of the shittest, cheapest dynamic mics you can get for Kick, Snare & Toms, and get some nice overheads like Rode NT5s (they come as a matched pair) or those Oktavas. This way your money is freed for good overheads and the close mics work basically like triggers. Speaking of which, you could even just get 5 triggers (kick, snare, 3 toms) and a set of overheads. You don't need the trigger brain module either coz you'd be using software sample replacement.

Yeh, well I was going to get a set of triggers no matter what XD
I do have a sad issue though :p Only 4 inputs to my pc, which I probably CAN change to 6 though, but wouldnt I need say, 1 input Kick, 1 Snare, 3 Toms, 2 overheads

I was only planning on having 1 input Snare, 1 Kick, 1 Toms, 1 OH
How do you suggest I go around this issue???

get something like the alesis trigger i/o and record kick and snare midi, then use the 4 inputs for toms and overheads.
even if you cant afford excellent mics now, you will get experience recording and mixing real drums which is invaluable!!!!

Hey guys, what are your thoughts on this set-up!
AHEM!:
Alesis Trigger I/O
5 Triggers
2 x Audix F15's
Pro-Sonus Firebox for the mics
1 x SM57 *Hats and anything else like vox and guitars*

Sound good?

Personally I would wait and save up some more money for some gear that is actually going to last you a while... Most of that stuff you will just end up wanting to sell when you need better stuff.

If you really want to get started now though and that's all you can afford, by all means go for it, as long as you think it'll keep you happy for a while!

Ehh, I'd pass on the Audix F15's, they're a company known more for their dynamics than their condensers...

Yeh well my aim is too record bands to SAVE the money :p
then slowly upgrade, but I need a start point so that is the way I want to go.
So yeh XD
Audix f15's though, good review???

Personally I would wait and save up some more money for some gear that is actually going to last you a while... Most of that stuff you will just end up wanting to sell when you need better stuff.

If you really want to get started now though and that's all you can afford, by all means go for it, as long as you think it'll keep you happy for a while!

i agree with this 100%

if you're triggering, then check out the samson Q kit, for the money they sound pretty good, especially the kick drum mic!!!

again i agree with....the samson 7 mic kit will get the job done and later when you have the money, get an audix D6 and use the samsons' Qkick as a floor tom mic.
If you are looking into recording other bands, i would suggest rethinking your four input set-up first and go for something that will get you at least 16 inputs because at some point you will be recording drums acousticlly and you'll need those inputs.