drumagog 5 is out!

I just posted an update, v5.02, which fixes the following issues:

- Fixed issue with pitch control on stereo samples
- Plugin scanning issue fixed.
- Fixed delay when switching IR Reverb and Morphs
- IR Reverb and Morph Engine input is now post blend control, which allows you to apply IR and morph effects to the original track, as well as the replaced audio.
- Fixed VST plugin path issue on PC installer

To download the update, just log in to your account at drumagog.com.

The demo version has also been updated.

Thanks,
Rim

I'm loving the new version of Drumagog however I'm having an issue where every time I open a session I'm working on, I need to open the Drumagog plugin on every track I'm using it in order for the gog file to load? Anyone else experiencing the same thing? Rim, any suggestions?

I'm running Logic 9 on a Macbook Pro with OSX Leopard.

Can you describe exactly what you mean?

If you only need to use Drumagog on one track (for example, your snare track), you just open it on that snare track. Then, find the gog file you want (using Drumagog's built-in sample browser), and double-click on the gog file to load it.

Thanks,
Rim

Can you describe exactly what you mean?

If you only need to use Drumagog on one track (for example, your snare track), you just open it on that snare track. Then, find the gog file you want (using Drumagog's built-in sample browser), and double-click on the gog file to load it.

Thanks,
Rim

Rim, thanks for the response! I've been using Drumagog for the last 3 years and absolutely love it! So to get into further detail about my issue - I'll be working on mixing a song, insert Drumagog plugin on say the snare and find the setting I want. When I'm done with my session I save it. The next time I open that session, Drummagog is still on the track with my settings but the gog file has not loaded. I have to click on the sample I wanted again for it to load. As soon as I do that everything is fine but I have to do this on every track that I'm using Drumagog on. I find it really strange. What do you think?

-TOM-

Tom,

That's strange. Is this Drumagog 4 or Drumagog 5? What's your host application? Are these gog files you're working with, or wav files?

Thanks,
Rim

Having multiple instances of drumagog 5 loaded up on my 8-core Mac Pro is giving me plug delay/latency issues. Very disappointing. Yes I am in Pro Tools 9, with the 'long' ADC engine engaged. I dont see myself EVER adjusting for delay again like I did back in the LE, so sadly I will probably have to make the move to Trigger.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Having multiple instances of drumagog 5 loaded up on my 8-core Mac Pro is giving me plug delay/latency issues. Very disappointing. Yes I am in Pro Tools 9, with the 'long' ADC engine engaged. I dont see myself EVER adjusting for delay again like I did back in the LE, so sadly I will probably have to make the move to Trigger.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Matthew,

We are sorry that you are experiencing trouble with Drumagog 5 running on your system. How many instances of Drumagog 5 are on this project? Are there any other plugins running on this project, too? Is the delay compensation indicator red? This would mean that it is over it's allotted limit for delay, and is not compensating for latency at all. You may need to freeze some of the tracks that you are not working on, in order to free up CPU resources. You can also use Live triggering mode, although it is not as accurate as Advanced mode.

Cheers,
Jack

Delay Compensation indicator light tuns red after 2 or 3 instances. Yes of course there are other plug ins being used but it is drumagog causing the issues.

Matthew,

We are sorry that you are experiencing trouble with Drumagog 5 running on your system. How many instances of Drumagog 5 are on this project? Are there any other plugins running on this project, too? Is the delay compensation indicator red? This would mean that it is over it's allotted limit for delay, and is not compensating for latency at all. You may need to freeze some of the tracks that you are not working on, in order to free up CPU resources. You can also use Live triggering mode, although it is not as accurate as Advanced mode.

Cheers,
Jack

Have you decreased the latency which each instance of drumagog gives with any new update? I get 3528samples of latency in the standard mode, so as Matthew wrote it is pretty much useless in PT 9. I have no problem nudging the tracks but i think Drumagog has a bit too much latency as standard,

Have you decreased the latency which each instance of drumagog gives with any new update? I get 3528samples of latency in the standard mode, so as Matthew wrote it is pretty much useless in PT 9. I have no problem nudging the tracks but i think Drumagog has a bit too much latency as standard,

Drumagog 5's default latency is 80 ms. This will be the most accurate mode. If you haven't checked it out, in the SETTINGS section you can manually decrease the amount of latency. As you mentioned, the workaround of manually nudging the tracks is always an option.

The fact of the matter is that any drum replacement plugin, like Drumagog, requires a certain amount of latency just to be able to function. It has to look ahead in time to see the next snare or kick hit coming in order to align the new sound in time to play them both back together. Zero-latency drum replacement would not sound very good and by necessity would end up being late, because all it could do is trigger a new sound once it detects a hit and would have no way of aligning it with the original.

Thats good to know I can reduce latency in the settings, hopefully this will help not tax the delay compensation engine so hard, but also not sacrifice too much accuracy.

Drumagog 4 may not have been perfect, but it sure seemed to get along well with the PT9 delay compensation without much fuss!

Moving the delay down to 40 MS only allows me to run 1 more instance of drumagog5, and depending on what else is going on in my session, the delay compensation indicator still goes red when loading the 5th instance of drumagog on my system.

Is there any chance we can get more options in controlling delay? As it stands now, a user only has the option of 2, 40, 60, or 80MS. In drumagog 4, we had a slider to move anywhere from 1 - 30 MS, enabling us to find a sort of "sweet spot" for our systems (or advance mode @ 77 MS).

In all honesty 40 MS is still pretty taxing as the lowest setting, evidently too much so. Especially if you are a guy like me who is used to running 5-6 instances per session. I simply will not be taking time to print tracks when I can use all the live rtas instances of Drumagog 4 or other triggering software I need and have it work perfectly fine.

Drumagog 5 might be the most phase accurate drum replacer ever and sound great in theory, but there is not enough of a balance being struck between functionality and practicality. I'm willing to bet alot of other people are going to feel the same way.

Pro Tools has a very finite amount of delay compensation available. By definition, there will be a point when you will reach that.

You don't need to print a track when you go over Pro Tools compensation limit, you can just nudge the source track earlier in time (use the "red" Pro Tools compensation read-out to know exactly how many samples to nudge it earlier). You can use the spot tool in Pro Tools to do this.

Drumagog 4 in fixed latency mode works exactly the same as Drumagog 5 with 80 MS of latency, in terms of Pro Tools delay compensation. Really the only change is getting rid of the latency slider and replacing it with the preset latency drop-down box.

The non-fixed latency version of Drumagog 4 (i.e. the one with the slider) wasn't compatible with most DAW's delay compensation engines. That's why we made the fixed latency version. Drumagog 5 is essentially always the fixed latency version.

I gotta say....and others may disagree, but nudging like you describe is an easy way to make a session really messy really quickly. Sure PT9 has a finite amount of delay compensation like you describe, but 99% percent of the time your CPU is going to start acting weird and Pro Tools start complaining about buffer size before there is even a chance for this to happen. The bottom line is that nobody wants to nudge or print unless it is 100% necessary. It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever for me to incorporate these or any other workarounds for everyday drum replacement when there are other options that work fine and do not require it.

Ideally I think that there should be fixed latency settings available below 40 MS... consider that a competing program like Trigger does fine at 11 MS. In the end, I feel like I should have the option to be able to load up an instance of Drumagog for every drum without resorting to "live mode." Having a 10 and/or 20 MS option would certainly make the program more flexible and more attractive to all.

At the moment, I'm finding a satisfactory balance using Drumagog in live mode on most tracks and 40ms on 1 or 2 instances. But I expect that I will run into some problems as a "live mode" isnt ideal for serious mixing.

Drumagog 5's Auto-Align 2.0 takes more time, taking more into account (looker further than just the transient hit, but entire waveform). 10 MS is not enough latency for any sort of phase-accurate alignment throughout the sample, period.

Our recommendation is for everyone to run Drumagog 5 at 80 MS, because that provides the best results possible. If a DAW's delay compensation cannot handle 5 instances of Drumagog running this way (and Pro Tools is the ONLY one that can't, even Garageband offers unlimited delay compensation), I know I would want to retain accuracy over the sake of simply nudging a couple of tracks.

Drumagog works in all DAWs available today. We won't cripple Drumagog because one DAW has issues with delay compensation limits.

Thanks for the input guys, it says a lot when people are willing to stand behind their product in a professional way like you are. I a/bed drumagog 5 versus some competing programs today and it was definitely the most phase accurate. I also got a chance to try the hi hat replacement tool...pretty awesome. Excited to give Drumagog 5 a try in Cubase and Logic.

this version of drumagog is pretty frustrating. It is completely unable to trigger fast 32nd note type rolls properly...It really astonishes me that a $380 drum replacement program can fail so miserably at this...

Drumagog can certainly trigger 32nd notes. What is your bpm? I guess if it's something around 400 then maybe it might be tricky. What's your operating system and audio program? Are you using any special settings like MIDI or auto hi hat?