drumagog

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
just a quick question i really have not got into drumagog that much though i do own it.

But my question is what good is 1 sample of a snare (or any drum) cause when i use one or even like 9 samples it seems real machine like to me and just not real at all. I have andy's samples all cut up and there is like 9 snares and when i put them into drumagog on a track it just dont seem right and the volume diffrance is just real noticable when it goes from a lighter hit to hard hit on samples and everything just sounds funny to me???

Like i said im real new with this plugin but i just feel im missing something:kickass:

Yeah, that is strange. Most people find the opposite - It sounds machine like with no sample differntiation!

If volume is the only issue and certain samples stand out, change the volume of them in Drumagog!

You have to make sure that the samples you've chosen correspond to correct velocities/threshold settings. Dont set the samples to trigger randomly if the bank contains hits that vary wildly in intensity.

Spend some time tweaking it and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Drumagog is amazing.. it's god's gift to engineers, much as Autotune is. First time I used it, it saved my ass.

That's right Moonlapse..

It's an ass saver!!

Best thing i have in my plugins folder so far.. just tweak with it some more.. read the manual, and just play with it for a couple of hours.

cool thanks for all the input im gona mess with it some more and read the manual again and see if i cant figure this problem out!

But is one snare sample even any good or you do need a bunch to get a real sound??

Also can i just duplicate the samples to make more to try not to get that machine sounding effect??

Well, I think the more samples you've got the better. With fewer samples, if you use dynamic tracking you can maintain the volume variations of the original track but the same sample at different volumes sounds pretty fake to me. Especially in rolls and fills. Ideally you would have a sample for every hit in the full spectrum from very soft to totally whacking the shit out of it and you would tweak drumagog so that only the hardest hits triggered the very hard hitting samples, so on and so forth. If you don't have many samples in the midrange area, fills especially will sound very fake. For regular beats, just having a few samples will usually sound fine.

If you want realism, you're after as many samples as you can possibly get. You want samples all the way from low intensity hits to high intensity hits, and you want multiple hits in the same intensity, just so you can randomize it up a bit.

Also you don't have to have 100% blend. If you're stuck with one snare sample, just do a 50/50 with the original sound or something.