Drummers?

Bump get?

Anyway, after the long long long long long long time of not posting in this thread, I have been practicing on drums a lot. I picked them up very quickly, and I would bet that I'm already better than most of the drummers at my school. (Other than the drummer in my band, of course.)

I say, why not learn to play more than one instrument? I play bass and keyboards too, it really expands your style and it's boring to play the same instrument all of the time imo. Not only play, but master. That'll be the day, when someone has mastered all of the 4 basic prog band instruments. (I'm going to college for music anyway, I hope it helps. :erk: )

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Bump get?

Anyway, after the long long long long long long time of not posting in this thread, I have been practicing on drums a lot. I picked them up very quickly, and I would bet that I'm already better than most of the drummers at my school. (Other than the drummer in my band, of course.)

I say, why not learn to play more than one instrument? I play bass and keyboards too, it really expands your style and it's boring to play the same instrument all of the time imo. Not only play, but master. That'll be the day, when someone has mastered all of the 4 basic prog band instruments. (I'm going to college for music anyway, I hope it helps. :erk: )

I play keys, guitar, bass (i guess...since i play guitar), and drums on my desk with chopsticks. And I can sing opeth clean+growls.

Drums are cool, cos u could just be playin the same stuff over and over and when the drums change it seems like everything has changed and u get a whole different feel.

Learning to play more than one instrument is the way to go. I started on guitar, but play bass a lot more now (higher demand for bass players), plus I dabble in the keyboard a bit. Being more versatile is a positive thing.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Uhh... let's see anyone else on here play the entire Dance of Eternity on drums. :heh:
If I had a video camera I'd take pride in shutting you up.

It's actually not TOO hard, I worked my way up to it, I have it pretty much note for note.

I've been playing for 8+ years, I march Quints/Tenors for my HS's drumline, I currently play in 2 bands- one being a classic rock cover band which pays extremely well, and getting an original metal band together.

I'm still piecing together the studio in my basement, when I get everything in lpace, I'll be able to post some audio recordings, no guarantees for video though.

DavidPartay said:
I forgot to mention that Symphony X is my all-time favourite band, and I have probably listened to TDWOT (the song) about 20,000 times and I still love it more than any other song in existance. Also I can play it on drums too :D it's such a fun song, although sometimes I get the pauses wrong in the quieter bits of the song and the odd bit about 3/4 through the song I haven't quite nailed yet, I think it alternates between odd 8th note time signatures but I haven't worked out what yet ;).
Theres one section in TDWOT that kills me everytime, Im pretty sure its the same section your talking about too.

Eternal Dragon said:
Drums are cool, cos u could just be playin the same stuff over and over and when the drums change it seems like everything has changed and u get a whole different feel.
Best example ever:
Dream Theater - The Mirror

urinalcakemix said:

It's actually not TOO hard, I worked my way up to it, I have it pretty much note for note.

I've been playing for 8+ years, I march Quints/Tenors for my HS's drumline, I currently play in 2 bands- one being a classic rock cover band which pays extremely well, and getting an original metal band together.

I'm still piecing together the studio in my basement, when I get everything in lpace, I'll be able to post some audio recordings, no guarantees for video though.
Hey, come on now. I made that post 5 months ago. :erk:

Now I've taken the liberty of getting into Cryptopsy and Meshuggah! :heh:

Eternal Dragon said:
I play keys, guitar, bass (i guess...since i play guitar), and drums on my desk with chopsticks. And I can sing opeth clean+growls.

i play guitar, keyboard, bass, harmonica (so what?) and sing, and also a tiny bit of other instruments as well (lap steel, mandolin, cello). cant play drums for shit though...

urinalcakemix said:

dude i've got a video camera and live a block from you, i'll gladly record you playing doe

I'm a drummer but I'm admittedly a bit of an elitist; old school all the fuckin' way!