Drummers thread

D.Ingram

Mar 17, 2008
Sheffield, United Kingdom.
I don't know if we have any drummers on here, but anyway - here, discuss all things about skin beating (and don't you DARE make a sex joke out of that).

Equipment, technique, favourite drummers... whatever, go for broke!

I have a Yamaha DTXplorer, which is nice. But I've been lacking drum motivation lately. I need like a beginner to immediate list of drum songs.
By the by, those shouldn't be like metal. I can do double bass, but akwardly (setting my hi-hat pedal as double bass pedal).

I like Vinny Daze, Shaked Furman, Ben Carter (not just a typical fan girl statement), Zbigniew Robert Promiński, Travis Smith, Christoph Schneider, Joey Jordison, Shawn Drover, Nick Menza and yes, shocker, Dave Lombardo. I also adore John Boecklin, he is such a great fucking drummer.

The reason I don't really rate Lars Ulrich on the drums simply because yes the man is highly talented but he's lazy, he has only recently started to play the double bass parts fully in "One".

I am a fan of blast beating but only if done correctly, none of this piss poor "deathcore" attempts. Mike Smith or fuck off.

WooHooo.... Drummer Thread...

Favs.
Metal: Dave Lombardo, Joey Jordison, Fred Andersson, Derek Roddy, George Kollias, Nick Barker and Hellhammer are pretty killer, too.

Jazz/Independent/others: Charly Antoligni, Benny Greb, Tony Royster Jr., Steve Gadd, Buddy Rich, JoJo Mayer

not in Order and not close all the people I really like but its a start

Mike Smith or fuck off.

Yeah. Mike Smith's a fucking innovator, he practically single handedly invented the blast beat. The man's a fucking machine, really. He could crush heads with his bare hands haha Definitely one of my favourite drummers.

Another few of my favs are Witold "Vitek" Kieltyka, Dan Mullins, Dave Suzuki (Amazing, yet sadly overlooked drummer. He's actually one of my very favourite guitarists as well!) and Proscriptor (I recently had the pleasure of witnessing him play live, and it was one of the most impressive and intense performances I've ever seen. Amazing drummer, who also takes care of lead vocals (which are also quite superb) at the same time!! Pretty impressive.

old Jazz players did the blast beat in the 50s without knowin it...

I saw Charly Antoligni two Years ago. that man is in his 80s and kicks everybodys ass!!! period!

but Mike Smith is a fucken beast, no doubt about that.

I swear the blastbeat has been around way longer than Suffocation. Napalm Death were using them in 87, and they weren't the first band to use them.

It may well have been a playing style, but the way in which Smith plays it, the intensity and style it's unrivalled and he is an innovater in that sense and no one can deny him that, the man is a fucking machine behind a kit.

I forgot about Vitek, his replacement is also pretty schweet sounding.

I swear the blastbeat has been around way longer than Suffocation. Napalm Death were using them in 87, and they weren't the first band to use them.

Yeah, the term "blast beat" was coined by Napalm Death and I know they were definitely one of the first bands to incorporate blast beats into their music, I just think Mike Smith perfected it. Mike pioneered the technique played with bass drums, snare, and cymbals all in synchronization, as opposed to the original technique which Mick Harris played with the snare drum alternating with the bass drum and cymbal.

Yeah, the term "blast beat" was coined by Napalm Death and I know they were definitely one of the first bands to incorporate blast beats into their music, I just think Mike Smith perfected it. Mike pioneered the technique played with bass drums, snare, and cymbals all in synchronization, as opposed to the original technique which Mick Harris played with the snare drum alternating with the bass drum and cymbal.

Then he didn't really single handedly create it :p :lol: