DT Forum Members (and their messed up relationships)

Hearse: I agree with Nick
I hate when someone leave me and tells "i just want to stay alone" and similar things, 'cause i think/know there something bigger behind that and i passed a lot of time after failed relationships wondering what was the true cause, but if he/she really don't wan't to explain i think there's nothing to do, you can only think about a lot of possibilities and then you haven't any answer but a big headache and feel more sad..so things will go better with time :)

Okay, let me try to explain.

Since most of you won't accept the point I make until I do show once again that I can articulate my thoughts in English (what game are we playing here? you all know already, don't you?), I will proceed the formal way and see if appearance changes something where substance won't.

I think that most of the points we make in any argument come from personal experience. There is one honest way of admitting it, and pointing out what made you think what you think, and one dishonest way of pretending your views came from heaven knows where because you're afraid of being called someone who has issues or who needs to get laid. By the way, Villain, people who conclude arguments that way tend to be extremely vulgar in nature. I hope you escape the majority. I don't need to remind you or anyone else that alluding to someone's sexual activity or lack thereof to discredit them is a sign of ignorance and stupidity: "You need to get laid" is mysteriously more accepted than "You're a disgusting fag", but in my eyes they sound the same. Unrequited and unproven offences towards someone based on assumptions on their private behavior.

Now that this is out of the way, on to the main point. I have or might have "issues", I am biased by my "personal history", and so on and so forth. My take on this is that I have sound opinions based on experience, and I claim a right to have them. By observing reality, I have seen the following phenomenon happening many a time: in high schools, or othwer adolescnt communities like, say, the boy scouts or a metal band alike, some people are appreciated because they act according to a certain stereotype. The current en vogue clichés range from vampyre/goth to neohippy to punk rock kid to whatever other youth trend you can think of. A teen pagan who says he likes the fact that is mother is suffering because she's been bad to him is another cliché, and nobody will tell him that he has "issues", although it's pretty obvious that they have, because they are trendy and accepted. I do question the truths behind those stands, and I do question the values themselves. As a pretty square teen, although I wore Manowar t-shirts, I always thought that the amount of attention directed to the so-called "alternative" scene was excessive and unfair. Since I am a human being, I suffered the fact that I was ignored and that I was less popular than them, didn't get invited to the "cool" parties, etcetera. If you look inside with some honesty, I guess this is not an experience no one else of you has. And if you want me to go on more on the subject, I can do so anytime.

Does my disapproval of people who belong to the alternarebel teen scene stems from having "issues"? No, it stems from having a brain and using it. Now I'm pretty much out of this phase, being 24 years old, considerably richer than those who were the leaders of the pack back then, and the only one in my high school class to have achieved social status so soon. I am not boasting, rahvin can confirm this anytime [By the way he's going to make it bigger with his book, so I'm just temporarily overshadowing him - and you all see what a little conquest overshadowing a dwarf is]. And exactly because I survived the unpopularity, the attacks - on my religion as well, because it's so old-fashioned and you don't get laid before marriage, oh gosh, I think I'm going to kill myself - and the laughs, I think that my reaction should be considered objective social commentary more than the outcome of having "issues".

A distorted teenage culture brings to the spotlight people who put forward values that are not good to themselves or society: one who, say, studies hard or has a good relationship with their parents or does not do drugs tends to be ridiculed. And why is that? Because in a typical short-term time window like the one most people have at 15 or 16, being bold and courageous equals saying you refuse everything, while slacking at your weak family's expense night and day.

Of course if someone wants to turn themselves into a no-good it is their problem, and I don't really care much about the social effects at this point of my philosophical evolution. What I feel compelled to point out is that those kind of persons, momentarily stronger than the others because they have a crew and their self-esteem is boosted by widespread complicity, can prey on others who are temporarily weaker but hold constructive, positive moral values. If someone is thought cool if they badmouth their parents all the time (while, I repeat, merrily taking their money), and if not doing so is stonewalled by the community and worn as a mark of cowardice, then the good people who try to value objectively the downsides but also the upsides of their family might be strayed. This is easy at 16. What would you think if your kids did the same? And so on and so forth. Of course I'm just taking one example, I could expand to many other situations and cases.

Deviated teenager values, such as glorifying irresponsibility, silly cults (yes, silly cults) and false affirmations of self (normally at the expense of others, no wonder they turn violent) are dangerous since they can stifle and kill the few good men and women around from the start. It takes a lot of guts to get over it if you're inclined to react, or a detachment and determination to go for the kill if necessary few have - our good dwarf is an example of that, but I am not.

This is the reason why I immediately responded to Ibsen's comment: you say it was a joke, but I imagine him telling the same "joke" in his group of friends and them mocking the catholic boys or girls in their class for whatever stupid reason. I can also feel the pain of those people since I was one of them. Is this having issues? I call it being critical of some customs and conscious of the way a part of the world and relationships between human beings work.

Villain, you said anyone supporting America is your personal enemy. I am saying that anyone praying on the momentarily weak on the wave of a culturally deconstructive trend is my personal enemy. Giving objective, real-life reasons for it does not mean that I have problems: just that I know where I am coming from.

Now that I've had my ten show-off minutes, I do not think that I have added anything substantial to the discussion (those of you with a working mind could figure out already, and if they didn't it was because they didn't want to; those of you who don't understand... what can I do?), but at least I've been pc enough to please your aesthetic requirements. don't get me wrong: the content of this email is still "fuck you, ibsen".

h

sorry for the typos, but i have a very slow connection at the moment and should wait forever to edit my post properly.

h

Wow what a read. You also have to look at it from another point of view though. I am an Atheist, have been since I was 8. My parents sent me to a Catholic grade school, I wasnt able to express my own views on things even at such a young age. I was constantly told I was wrong for my beliefs, there is a god, why dont I belive in him, what the fuck is wrong with me? It goes both ways Hyena.

Then when I entered high school nothing changed. It was a Catholic high school that my parents wanted me to go to b/c it would give me a "good" education. Once again when I expressed my thoughts and views on things I was considered an outcast. I didnt go along with what everyone else in the school was saying about spirituality. So I was shunned, and most of my teachers didnt like me for that sole fact.

I have a big problem with Christianity and most Christians (not all that would make me look very ignorant). They constantly contradict themselves and their beliefs. I dont feel like making a list, if you want me to I will.

It was a joke, a harmless fucking joke, and in all actuality you took it to heart. Ive been called white trash, dirty, whatever else people can come up with, but I dont care, I really dont give two shit what anyone on a Dark Tranquillity message board thinks about me, my views, my personlity, my sex life, whatever.

I have learned to be very tolerant of other people. If I wasnt I'd be out of a job, you have to step back and look at it from all facets, not just your own.

What I am basically trying to say is, just dont care what mean and spiteful things are said to you. In my job I have to deal with people under more stress than I care to ever experiance, and sometimes people who are suicidal and can say some pretty hurtful things, but I dont take very much to heart. Its my job not to.

Nick

oooooh poor hyena didn't have friends when young just because he/she was to "good" to join their "bad" games, ooooooooh...

tell you one thing honey:
i am 20 and i haven't taken any drug or drunk one single beer or smoked or even had sex. not because i didn't have the chance to but because it just felt wrong to me at every occasion offered (the sex-part is a bit more complicated but who gives a fuck anyway :) ). i just have my values and i always stick to them unlike most of those religious fuckers calling me sick just because i didn't want to play their game. but still i have friends (and the best one can have i can tell you) and i have fun and the only times in my life when i didn't have either was when I MYSELF was in my way.
what i want to say is: don't blame anyone or anything, be it your unfamous belief or whatever if you didn't have friends and fun when you were smaller. blame yourself. because both can be attained without breaking any laws of christian religion.

and now, for GOD's sake just shut up, cause ibsen even offered you much more then he would have had to.
terria, agnostic son of two buddhist parents, doobidoo.

PS: as for religions and values:
shakespeare puts it best in my eyes

love all
trust a few
do wrong to none

and all will be peaceful harmony.

PPS: winkewinke vultureculture! hast du meine pm gekriegt? so malveaux bezüglich und so...

well, it is not true that i have no friends. i have two trusted friends, rahvin and wolfy, who i've been hanging around with forever. and i have a number of cool acquaintances. i said i was not a student leader, the single popular individual in 800 kids. no friends was not in my original statement, and it is not true.

h

oh, and i started smoking and/or drinking at 14, which is not wise, and i am not boasting about it, but this should clear the way of images of me being the clean-cut kid. i wasn't. rahvin, please say your word about it in case those people do not believe me.

Originally posted by hyena
no, listen, it was between the lines, obviously :lol:

hyena

Do you know how to read between the lines?
Being a christian then, maybe you should take another look at the bible?

Salmy (religion is the biggest joke in the world, there is not fucking god and if there is, may he strike me down before I post this)

Fine Hyena, you want to keep going? I'm not trying to fit into any sort of cliche. As a matter of fact, most goths and other pagans say that I'm doing everything wrong or whatnot but I really don't give a shit. As far as being glad my mom is suffering, it's called anger. If you read the post where I said that, you will notice I said I felt bad for my mother at first. I was not glad until she started acting like a bitch. And maybe I do have issues. The difference is that I'm secure enough to admit it. And I know that I may be wrong about a number of things. Now it's time for you to start acting your age, stop harrassing me, admit that you may be wrong (since you don't have all the answers, just like I don't), and show some pride in yourself. Flaming others for stupid reasons will not get you anywhere. It only shows your inner insecurity.

well now. first i'm gonna try to do away with some prejudice about hyena some of you might have reading her long post.
it is not true that she didn't have many friends, and it's not true that she didn't want to take part in anything "wicked" when she was younger. actually, she's always had more friends than me and she did a lot of experiences i would just go :yow: before i dreamed doing. what she was trying to say is that she was not amongst the "cool" people. she never did embrace what - at the time - were easy stereotypes made to impress and ultimately (even by some friends) she was considered less than others because the outward signs of popularity and charisma just weren't there. no fancy clothes, no "i've been going out with a guy for a month then got bored", no "i went to a sit in to save the whales". this is not something you all can relate to directly: in your time and place maybe the very definition of being cool is completely different, but these were accepted clichés when we were younger here in turin and that's what spelled the difference between being in or out inside our environment.
adopting such behaviours was seen as a tell-tale sign of future social success, and was the only reason for present social success.
feeling resentful towards this kind of misjudgements is something i share with hyena. god knows if i haven't spent some time in the margin myself because i wouldn't/couldn't dance or take part in activities nobody found interesting but were a symbol of your belonging.

so, terria, i don't accept that the individual is at fault when said things happen. this was just plain discrimination, like being considered less because of the colour of your skin or because you listen to heavy metal. ;) it was less widespread and maybe less of a mark of shame, but still she (we) had no power, no control over this regardless of our religious o moral beliefs. i am and i was an agnostic, and the only thing i had against sex before marriage at the time was that nobody wanted to do it with me :p but still i was in a similar situation.

as for taking ibsen into all of this, i don't really know if it's wrong or right. even if i had felt the sting, i would have stopped after being told he was joking. maybe i wouldn't have believed it either, but at least publicly, here, i would have managed to settle the score making him admit what he said was not true, just for a lark. what ibsen does/is in his private life holds no relevance to me. it is perhaps better if we all just focus on debating this interesting social argument (being rejected, facing teens with misdirected values, possibly even reveling in your mother's suffering) with valid points (and hyena now did), assuming all fuckyou's have already been said and getting them out of the way to make room for something more relevant for the lives of everyone.

rahvin.

Let me just clear this thing of the board with the words of the EVER-wise Denis Leary:
'Life sucks, get a fucking helmet!'

welcome SYD. thanks rahve... you might not be a dancer but you're one hell of a mosher for someone that small. i will never understand how you managed not to get horribly hurt at the therapy? show. and stop lying about your sexual popularity, dwarves are notably promiscuous.

@rahvin: by the way, since this connection sucks and i won't be able to write pm's, i'll lay it down here -> my first attempt at getting an appointment w/ the bigshot we discussed the other night was one ridiculous failure, but still better than the "are you on crack?" i saw coming. i basically asked my course director and i managed to make my reasons for wanting/needing the date absolutely sound and of relevant cultural caliber (yeah right) - she just said that it's really hard for him to find time etc, moral suasion stuff to tell me to fuck off without telling me to fuck off since my points were so incredibly smart. still i might get to phone him before 10/11 - wouldnt count of it but bubu never dies.

hyena

Originally posted by hyena
Villain, you said anyone supporting America is your personal enemy. I am saying that anyone praying on the momentarily weak on the wave of a culturally deconstructive trend is my personal enemy. Giving objective, real-life reasons for it does not mean that I have problems: just that I know where I am coming from.

Yes. However, while I from the beginning on admitted that my hate IS my personal problem and that it is specifically NOT aimed towards anyone here, you keep on attacking one single person here, basing your attack on a very narrow viewpoint of his life (a few lines written on an internet-forum). This is what my previous post was all about - and you didn't touch that the least bit on your last post.

While I agree with the majority of what you have written on the post above (after all, I'm a youthworker and face the same things in my work on a daily basis), very little of what you wrote before that to Ibsen made any sense - you lowered yourself to childish insulting and looked past all his attempts to make a peace with you. Your ISSUE of hatred made you unable to realize you were "barking at the wrong tree" so to say - the picture you immediately drew of Ibsen's personality doesn't match with the one I (and many others here, it seems) have drawn in our minds. Your hatred seems to make you unable to accept that perhaps you should have asked Ibsen a few more questions about himself, before deciding that he "prays on the momentarily weak".

Finally, if Ibsen really were one of the people you describe above (you don't know and neither do I - the information he has given of himself is very vague in my eyes), attacking him here won't for sure change that the least bit - just as my hatred towards Americans doesn't save a single innocent civilian on some third-world country, I know...

Oh, and the "get laid" -part was obviously a joke, you did see the smiley, didn't you?

-Villain