DT Forum Members (and their messed up relationships)

Back of the head seems somewhat underhanded though. I'd prefer to be shot in the forehead, as per |ng. At least then It'd be right out there. I think the worst in a relationship is not knowing why/how something happened. The forehead relieves that.

~Kovenant

P.S. - On an unrelated note, I haven't been here much recently... Is there someone new hosting Avatars? Cause Yahoo thinks I'm a lil red X. And what happened to the forum member page?

Originally posted by Kovenant84
P.S. - On an unrelated note, I haven't been here much recently... Is there someone new hosting Avatars? Cause Yahoo thinks I'm a lil red X. And what happened to the forum member page?

the forum picture page is down until salmy or someone else finds a new hosting service. avatars are kindly, and perhaps temporarily provided by miolo. check the rules thread for all relevant info. :)

rahvin.

How about a shot in the mouth then? :p

Another one of my brilliant ideas suggests that relationships are smt that should be killed when young. Nature seems to think otherwise tho. :p

i kinda like nature
and all my exams are done for now
and this weekend i will meet with my new band for a first rehearsal
it's a wonderful world

honestly, i think you're just acting way too cynical when you pretend you're so disillusioned. how many of you really wouldn't plunge into the next big thing with the highest hopes, despite what you're saying here now?
i don't mean to criticize anybody's disposition, but i'm always hearing people complaining inbetween love stories, taking every failure to a structural level, while most of them are actually ready to start again with the next girl/guy as soon as they turn the corner. some relationships sure go terribly awry, but why being so drastic and give in to easy generalizing?

rahvin.

Thanks Rahv. I think I needed that. Ever since my gf and I broke up, I've realized that I really probably won't meet anyone like her ever again. And while thats depressing, I don't know that I won't go into another relationship with high hopes. I'll have to think about that. Very good point.

~Kovenant

@rahvin: because it's fun, takes off some pain, and we have nothing better to do inbetween? :p

Siren (hopes at critical level)

now i'm gonna present you all with a problem.
yesterday when i left my office at about 2 in the afternoon i walked past the university building and saw dozens of students hanging around and going about their usual business.
this is likely to happen often - i'd say every darn day - but i seldom notice since i'm too busy staring fixedly at my shoes thinking about something funny i'm gonna write here, or i'm too busy staring fixedly at my shoes thinking about something funny someone's already written here.
anyway, yesterday i cast a passing glance at the exhuberant youthful population surrounding me and a thought struck me:
my, this place is crammed full of good-looking girls i've never met.
regardless of the fact that said girls ought to count their blessings for having never met your short moderator, i kinda reached the conclusion that out of the multitude one or two of them might actually be pleasant and considerate.
i then proceeded to ask myself how come i'm spending so many hours in their general proximities and yet i never managed to become acquaintances with the many female inhabitants of the university grounds. true, there's the fact that i don't exactly spend my working days frolicking around in the open air, since i sit at this stupid table for more than six hours in a row venting my frustration on the board i'm supposed to watch. and then there's the fact that once i'm done pretending i work in a library i rush home to get some real job done.
yet i'm sure there must be some way to get in touch with new people, and now i'm asking you: how do i go about it?

rahvin.

dunno man ... maybe if you smoke, you can ask them if they have a match or a lighter

that's about as creative as my brain gets at 3:38 am ... maybe I'll have better ideas when I wake up in 8 hours

in the meantime, best of luck !

rahvin said:
now i'm gonna present you all with a problem.
yesterday when i left my office at about 2 in the afternoon i walked past the university building and saw dozens of students hanging around and going about their usual business.
this is likely to happen often - i'd say every darn day - but i seldom notice since i'm too busy staring fixedly at my shoes thinking about something funny i'm gonna write here, or i'm too busy staring fixedly at my shoes thinking about something funny someone's already written here.
anyway, yesterday i cast a passing glance at the exhuberant youthful population surrounding me and a thought struck me:
my, this place is crammed full of good-looking girls i've never met.
regardless of the fact that said girls ought to count their blessings for having never met your short moderator, i kinda reached the conclusion that out of the multitude one or two of them might actually be pleasant and considerate.
i then proceeded to ask myself how come i'm spending so many hours in their general proximities and yet i never managed to become acquaintances with the many female inhabitants of the university grounds. true, there's the fact that i don't exactly spend my working days frolicking around in the open air, since i sit at this stupid table for more than six hours in a row venting my frustration on the board i'm supposed to watch. and then there's the fact that once i'm done pretending i work in a library i rush home to get some real job done.
yet i'm sure there must be some way to get in touch with new people, and now i'm asking you: how do i go about it?

rahvin.

First of all I'm gonna have to ask why exactly is it that you would so want to meet these people? :eek: I spend my days trying not to have any kind of dealings with the folks in our uni, since...
1) most of them are trying not to have any kind of dealings with me;
2) they actually seem to think putting on a stupid overall and rolling down to a gutter is fun;
3) the only communication I've had with a fellow student was her going 'where did you buy that mascara, what label is it?!' and me going 'umm, can't remember, gotta go'. And, honestly, this is true. :err:

Now, if you still want to meet these people (I guess you won't have to worry about not knowing what mascara label you use, though :rolleyes: ), my advice is:
1) say what's on your mind, not what you ought to say (meaning, anything but 'it's a lovely sunshine today'
...or 'baby, you look delicious')
2) don't think about it. Just go.
3) And please, for your own sake, don't pick the girl who you can see comparing eyelashes with her friends
on her lunchbreak!!

-Lamia
fed up with almost everyone at school.

@lamia: thanks for the input. :) let's see...

i want to meet these people because my social life is non-existent. i get out once a week, i see the same two old friends, i never ever get to talk with anybody new and there are days when my co-workers are the most brilliant piece of conversation i get. so i don't really care if they're shallow, it's better than nothing and i'm surely not one to fear standardization: it's gonna take something more than a couple of uni students to run circles around my ideas and opinions. ;)
1. most of them don't even know i exist. if they're biased because i don't fall in to their pc habits, i'm gonna be very explicit about it. but i prefer to know. :p
2. yes, they're fairly stupid. yet, they can provide some amusement on the side. and it's not as if i know lots of environments where intelligence abounds. you're welcome to suggest any such situation or come for a trip to italy to spend a few afternoons with me. ;)
3. right, i can try asking females of the species for her mascara. :)

as for your advice:
1. let's face it: if i say what's on my mind they're not going to understand. this is not because i'm super smart or something, it's because they obviously have no idea what i'm talking about if i mention what i mostly mention to people, i.e. my musical tastes, this board, my work, books i read, my writing. so i better stick to the status of the sunshine until on firmer ground. ;)
2. ok, i will. i tend to act very silly when i do, but i'll blame it on you when they ask me why i'm being stupid. :p
3. aw, surely you don't think i am so naive and superficial? but i can't believe they're all like that. surely one or two decent individuals can be found in the multitude?

rahvin.

I often wonder about the similarities Rahvin has with me (or I have with him, anyway). Similar fears, close aspirations, resembling wishes. And parallel reactions, sometimes. This is a good proof of it, since I use to ask to myself about that amount of people that look like useless, pointless and "stupid" people whose care is reciprocal to mine (because I have no interest in behaving like a fool, and they have no interest in robotics) :D . And I reckon: "It's impossible that millions of people can act that way". Often, in an effort of humbleness, I enforce myself to meet new people, to approach my world to others and get in touch with different points of view. It doesn't work as well, I tell you.

And no, DO NOT say what you have in mind, but say something placed into their "normal stuff" scale, in order not to scare them, or harm their... er... intellect.

Advices? I don't know, I am quite good when meeting new people, I am so open-minded and people feel comfortable with me, always that I play along in their life project. This w-end an italian friend of mine comes to Barcelona to enjoy what she calls "spanish night". Well, Barcelona is not the best place to find out what the spanish night might offer, sincerely. But well, she's italian, and italians are colder than spaniards, I assume. :D Let's see what happens...

|ng (Kill all humans...)

I felt sad when reading all this, but unfortunately i feel there's nothing i can offer in this conversation, i was never good at meeting new people.. :(

Siren (even the people i hang out with usually are people i met through the net, go figure :p)

PS:mad:rahvin: how about your school and what you study, can't you meet people in the classes? how about asking some people about random info?

@ rahvin

ugh, got the same problem you do, so whenever you have a solution do tell me what it is. im one of those in the "university girls" category but my classes are mostly with other girls studying literature and i really dont enjoy going to dance clubs, which is how people meet other people in this city, soooo it appears i am doomed to an existance of solitude and woe.

i tried approaching others recently, but had very bad results indeed, so i think i'll go back to my safe, lonely spot over here, until you discover the secret of how to adapt socially and can share it with us. or me.

Oh, btw, next time soneone cute tries to talk to me/approach me and i play the idiot, please slap me. :mad: :bah: :cry:

a lot of thoughts swirl in my head tonight, but as usual i've spent the past 16 hours in front of the screen and my naural system is currently trying to attract my attention with a grenade launcher.
so for now i'll just leave you with one question for the night - i'll reply to each of you the morrow -, which is:
we seem to show some similarities in our approaches to social life and the way we see relationships with fellow human beings. on a broad level, at least, we say we'd gladly shun shallow interactions based on trivial/superficial matters and would like to pick and choose the few dedicated and meaningful individuals that populate our surroundings.
let's say we were in the same school/university/job place. do you think we'd click with each other suddenly recognizing there are things we have in common? or we'll just pass judgement on each other based on first-sight impressions about the way we dress or the most blatant body attitude (all things that can't be seen when typing here), perhaps ending up mutually classifying the others as part of the background?

rahvin.