DT Forum Members (and their messed up relationships)

thats just it! good point.
i like to think yes, we would recognise each other. at least everyone im close with shares these same characteristics, and somehow we've been brought together by different circumstances.
of course, you have to rely on circumstances and thats never a good idea. "circumstances" don't happen too often, and im sure there are looooots of people out there like you describe ("mutually classifying the others as part of the background") and we keep missing each other. i mean, there MUST be, right?

you know, you're probably absolutely right, and im just doing my wistful thinking here.

To answer rahvin's question, i believe we'd do the latter, unless something (like net communication, recognizing our favourite band's shirt, etc) would make us see a first common point. From there the rest would be easy, but before that...

rahvin said:
now i'm gonna present you all with a problem.
yesterday when i left my office at about 2 in the afternoon i walked past the university building and saw dozens of students hanging around and going about their usual business.
this is likely to happen often - i'd say every darn day - but i seldom notice since i'm too busy staring fixedly at my shoes thinking about something funny i'm gonna write here, or i'm too busy staring fixedly at my shoes thinking about something funny someone's already written here.
anyway, yesterday i cast a passing glance at the exhuberant youthful population surrounding me and a thought struck me:
my, this place is crammed full of good-looking girls i've never met.
regardless of the fact that said girls ought to count their blessings for having never met your short moderator, i kinda reached the conclusion that out of the multitude one or two of them might actually be pleasant and considerate.
i then proceeded to ask myself how come i'm spending so many hours in their general proximities and yet i never managed to become acquaintances with the many female inhabitants of the university grounds. true, there's the fact that i don't exactly spend my working days frolicking around in the open air, since i sit at this stupid table for more than six hours in a row venting my frustration on the board i'm supposed to watch. and then there's the fact that once i'm done pretending i work in a library i rush home to get some real job done.
yet i'm sure there must be some way to get in touch with new people, and now i'm asking you: how do i go about it?

rahvin.

Attend university plays/concerts/lectures you'll be eventually forced to talk to them.

I'd say the way people dress is the first thing that gets noticed when you're looking for people with the same interests you have

example : a couple of months ago I was in the subway going back home after class. A couple of stations before my destination, a guy comes in the same wagon I'm in and keeps looking at the t-shirt I'm wearing ( In Flames jesterhead ). After a while, he looks at me, gives me the devil horns and we start talking about In Flames and Dissection ( he was wearing one of their shirts )for a 2-3 minutes. So if I would have been wearing a non-metal t-shirt, I never would have had that conversation.

A lot less likely to happen but sometimes when standing in line next to someone who's listening to music really loud, if you can hear what they're listening to and you recognize it, it's a good way to start a conversation. That happened to me once in college when a guy stanfing behind me was listening to In Flames' Colony REALLY LOUD ... we started talking, we made a few jokes ... it was cool

so unless you have the ability to identify what you have in common with people without them giving you hints (how they dress, the music they listen to or the way they think), then the best way to find people with similar interests is the way they dress ... that's what I think

The get-in-touch process is clearly based on first impressions, everything you can find out by a first look counts. A fallible deductive layout, I do agree, but you can unfold the countermeasure of a deeper analysis a posteriori, in order not to rely all your judgement on superficial perceptions.

The rest? Depends basically on the people involved. Surely we can remark general patterns in every kind of relationship, but personally I am not inclined to think that there are strict rules controlling the way we act.

I did not expect such a question by Rahvin. May I ask about the reason of the question, oh, moderator and mid-get (hehe) friend? ;)

|ng (Mid-brain)

Curses. The system logged me off after I wrote a long message and tried to post it. I’ll write it again though.

The whole concept of approaching people reminds me of a story:

I usually hesitate to approach guys even if they do have something in common with me (like they are metal fans). I don’t have the "look" and the guy could think I was just making stuff up in order to hit on him. It’s also a strange situation as the person could just be trying to look for CDs or go outside and not be in the mood to have a teenage (but legal) girl try to start an awkward conversation with him.

Case in question: I saw this guy who was wearing a Slayer shirt at the local mall (the largest mall in the world). My friend was telling me to talk to him (not really jokingly either)… but I didn’t. I don’t really have the right "look", the guy was older (and maybe unavailable), and had two friends with him. I could imagine the group of guys laughing at me after I tried to talk to the one guy. I also wouldn’t know what to say to not seem like a weirdo, trying to talk to a total stranger… okay, maybe I would, but I’m nervous and painfully shy, so I avoided it. It would have been awkward anyway with trying to start up a conversation. He was just there to look at DVDs with his friends and may not have found me interesting at all. I wasn’t feeling too bold that day either. Looking back, I may have missed an opportunity (I seldom see anyone I’m interested in) due to my shyness and over-analyzing everything. On the other hand, I could have saved myself more embarrassment by not doing anything. Oh well, the chance is gone anyways.

Also, even if a guy likes the same music or has same interests as I do, it doesn’t mean he’d like or even get along with me, so I can't assume anything based upon this. I also realise I’m not very "normal" (which is what most people want in a mate). Although it may work in my favour someday.

The above is all just a personal story and opinions, just wanted to let that all out. :)

Edited for spelling and more content

Also, even if a guy likes the same music or has same interests as I do, it doesn’t mean he’d like or even get along with me.

You're absolutely right about that. There was this girl I used to talk with on the net ... we were good friends. In january, we went to the Opeth show together. And even though we liked the same bands, I immediately realized there was no way in hell I could get along with her (chatting with someone and being with someone can be 2 different things). She was simply detestable.

What I'm trying to say is that maybe I could get along great with a girl who listens to pop or techno or whatever ... clothes (or style) and musical taste mean nothing in relationships, yet I only look for ladies who look a certain way or listen to metal ...

problem is it's even tougher for me to approach regular girls than metal girls :S

ok, good morning everybody...

@|ngenius: i'm also not shy at all, so i don't exactly expect people to think i'm boring or hate my company. usually when i'm introduced to a friend of a friend i manage to be classified as enjoyable, and actually most of the girls i've had i met through friends of mine. however, my social skills also depend a lot on where i am focusing my attention: a friend's friend is supposed to be someone in my league: not a 16-y-o dance-club freak with a vocabulary of 500 words, not a 35-y-o single mother working part-time at macdonald's either. if i were to try and chat up any of the above i'd end up being rejected 9 times out of 10 due to abysmal differences in our outlooks on life. this just to say that is clearly way easy for me to make you (people on this board) understand the main issues revolving around my discontentment or need for quality conversation and caring, because if there were abysmal differences between our lifestyles you wouldn't even be reading this rant in the first place.
as for relating to each other (hypothetically, that is) in real life, of course i'm not shunning the a posteriori part, it's just that noone has the time to give second/third chances to everyone they meet. gee, my life is already wrapped in "to do" lists without actually seeing anybody. ;) i asked that question because i often wonder how "peculiar" the present situation can be. we get along - or we don't - through writing and acting more or less kindly to each other, but this is not what happens in real life, where maybe i'd be nonplussed by the way siren laughs or the way mousewings walks. all these criteria here are non-existent. so when i say to myself: oh, how fun would that be if i could go out tonight with the decent, fairly ( :D ) interesting people i meet on the board?, i might not be taking into consideration the chance that some of those that do live in my area could be as decent and interesting, but i'm giving them the cold shoulder because they seem uninspiring.

@siren; @thanatos: i don't have enough time to go to lectures, and for more entertaining occasions i guess i'd like to be hanging out with someone for a start, like, not going there alone to sit in a corner... but who can i take with me?

@violet baudelaire: i'm familiar with environments where the most inane things are used as catalysts to bring people together, and it must come as no surprise that i tend to despise them because of the poor value inherent to the activity, which therefore tends to attract useless people. however, i find that this situation was definitely more common when i was in high school. the school i went to was one of these hypocritical pseudo-left-wing institutions where most students used to belong to families of doctors or lawyers or businessmen that went from rags to riches in the previous decade or something. their youngsters had all the arrogance and the greed for money of their parents, while at the same time coating themselves with pc causes and standardized, conformist behaviour.
under a lot of respects, university is no better, especially the whole human sciences department. aggregation is more sparse and scattered though, so that you get to see football freaks hanging around together, goths hanging around together and so on. not that i would join either group, or any group for that matter. so while i didn't precisely sit in a corner alone when i attended lectures back in my days (heh ;)), i only got to meet people who were loners like me. the risk with them is they're not always loners because of some conscious decision as to how to allocate their time: they would like to fit in but they've got some reason why they can't, and often this is not a good thing either.
of course this didn't help to explain how to improve social results, but it was more articulate than just telling you that i don't know. :p

@mr. no reaction: the problem is that following these guidelines i'm not likely to be approached by people with similar tastes in music, because i don't really dress like a metalhead - except for the occasional dt t-shirt. and aside from the fact that it's true that people with similar tastes in music can be pricks like everyone else, i'm also asking myself if i really should target those individuals at all. i know that possibly the first steps into a conversation would turn out to be far easier, but then what? i'm already interacting with a pretty large number of metal fans, so i'm not really missing the additional two cents of a new guy/girl in the field. a reason to do this anyway might be that i could be interested in approaching a good-looking girl who happens to be a metalhead, with the main purpose of having fun while keeping things on a fairly superficial level. yet i feel i could miss a lot of different chances and occasions for widening my views if i should decide to stick to that formula.

@salmy: thanks god you don't wink when you say it, otherwise you'd also be losing your eyesight. :)

@mousewings: may i criticize your attitude without you taking offense? you often more or less humorously make remarks about your favourite kind of guy (aesthetic-wise), and the case you presented seems to be a fairly good example of what sets off your attention radar. the thing is, i get the impression your view on the subject is quite limited. it's ok if you like guys who look very metal or who have music tastes in common with you, but it's not like every good-looking dude with a slayer shirt should be entitled to "judge" your normality level. all those who are really really interested in you having "the right look" and actually basing their decisions on how trustworthy your metal heritage appears are, frankly, people you won't be missing. sorry if i've been too straightforward here.

rahvin. (wasn't that long?)

Well, after reading your personal experiences, think I should add my own, because I act in a very different way. Firstly of all, my long blonde hair is the most remarkable thing that makes me resemble a "metalhead". Aside from that, I am not what a metalhead is supposed to be (no devil horns, no headbanging, no screams in the middle of the night...). I mean, I use to establish links with all kind of people, regardless its urban tribe or the differences with my personality. Of course, I do attend the basic social rules, getting closer to people who catch my interest, match my opinions or simply share my hobbies, but the rest are not rejected.

Till the point that I find several difficulties when rejecting someone, and it becomes harder when I should set an advisable distance with him/her. And it is not because of my politeness or a will of good treatment towards them, it is because of my wish of find out something valuable within them, to make things work out by personal effort. (Yes, I know it, it is sometimes... or even often impossible, because it requires also an effort by the other people).

Today I should break up with the girl I started with just two weeks ago. Well, I still try to dig into myself to find bad attitudes or wrong acting ways and save the relationship. Something not to stay alone once more (and when I say "alone" I mean "completely alone", in a wide range of senses). She calls me, she likes me, she is good attending er... bed issues... but I find her quite... yes, unspiring. Even as a friend. Mainly as a friend, because that's the solid ground any kind of relation should be built up in.

On the other hand, there are other strange things when it comes to relationships. The interest bends them, shapes them in weird and unexpected ways. I do not demand an attitude or concrete behaviour to the people that surrounds me, I just want care and affection. I respect the fools as well as I do with wise people. But my respect seems not to work properly, because at the end of the day, I do not play along with them as they want... :zzz:

@Rahvin: Then, you know, to meet new people is relatively easy. The hard point is to feel them as close relatives, warm individuals. And, if your case is that similar with mine, it is quite hard.

@Mousewings: Yes, you, shy girl. Next time you'll skip such an opportunity (almost to approach and meet the guy at the first time), we'll punish you (er... we'll enforce you to read the Michael Jackson bio. or something). :D

|ngenius (Cryptic)

Well, I don't know if I still have the right to post here after I've been flamed and kicked, but I'll pretend I have.

I often have the feeling, like some of you seem to have, that missing out on possible encounters is a grave issue facing me. There's millions of people in this city and I complain that I don't really like those I am hanging around with.

On one hand, I believe that after a period of more or less prolonged adolescence the "making friends" practice turns out to be sort of forbidden. This is because as one gets older and has some measure of responsibility it is riskier and riskier to share intimate thoughts with people you don't really knew yet. I know that as an adolescent one might regret painfully having told some "friend" who turned out to be a traitor that he/she liked this guy/girl/whatever, but this kind of painful regret is, fortunately, oftem untied with stuff that is really, seriously dangerous for one's personal or professional life. But this changes when one is not a teen anymore. If I were, say, homosexual and told that to some person when I was 15, and now I didn't want this thing to be public, I could shrug off any accusation of homosexuality by this person by declaring "I was 15, I said no matter what". If I go around saying "I'm gay" now I might not even know what hit me when it happens. That's why I don't go around saying it, aside from the fact that I am heterosexual ;)

Seriously, I know that I can't talk freely about how I feel with those I see, if they come from the same workplace, and the workplace is also where one meets the most people, inducing a paradox of silence that threatens the level of openness of one's soul.

But, but, but. My personal response to this situation, although I'm still working to translate that into practice, is: look at the issues that are fundamental to you. Look for environments where these issues can be discussed and eviscerated (which is, by the way, very metal). Go for them, because after all the few social contact that you are allowed by time should be directed at answering those fundamental questions. Of course along the way I'm hitting four thousands glass ceilings, but this is because of the nature of my pursuit, not the general principle. Anyway, I think that once I've found a partner (who is necessarily someone who has attention for the questions and issues I was referring to, otherwise there's no point) the problem will go away, because there's so much to do and so little time, and properly attending a job and a family is more than enough for one person.

The question might arise, where the fuck is levitas in all of this? My honest answer: I don't have the faintest, and this is the troubling part. But hey, I don't know nothing. :p

@mousewings: thank the heavens for being shy. it saves you the painful switch from social youth (a band?) to selective adult.
@|ngenius: and why did you get together with this girl at first if you think she's not interesting?
@rahve: i have directed you last night to what i think is the best temporary solution. let me knowif you try it out and with which results.

h (i am sure people would like me in real life)

Reactions: rahvin
ehm, that post is crammed full of spelling mistakes, but i don't have the force to edit it now.

@hyena: you post nice stuff or i'll smithe you with my axe of silliness +4, you hear? :p

i've never felt like talking some intimate stuff with people i don't know that much was forbidden, but i surely have come to regretting having done as much quite often. mostly, i'm still more concerned with the personal effects of what i say to someone than with the remote consequences of it, pro'lly since given my position said consequences cannot be that dire after all. in a way, the environments where issues closer to you can be expressed more freely are also the ones where you invest more, and therefore the ones you're really going to miss if something goes awry. secondarily, there's the fact that i - for once - keep on having conflicting needs on the subject: while i clearly have to fit in in a somehow technical working area, i'm still psychologically attracted to the unbound discussions and the all-round vision i could try to find amongst other categories.
much in the same way i suppose others who have expressed their opinion here (guys...?) are - for instance - quite torn between uninspiring work/school areas they have to frequent because of aspirations and goals, and a milieu like this one, that seem to offer more widespread understanding despite its clearly not offering long-term solutions at all.

rahvin. (i'm sure i would like you in real life :p)

@rahvin:Not offended at all. What you said was true... :)

@others: Yes, I'm shy... and it may be good... or bad. :)

Well, I finally broke up, and I think I chose the right way. But I am tired.

@Hyena: You're welcome, if it is worth to you. I started the relationship because of my strong will to make things work out, to find out what people might offer when you give them a chance. I always have the hope within that people have more to show, even in their deepest inner. But it is clear that a hope is not a certainty. :cry:

@Mousewings: It is an obstacle you should overcome. Do not give the control to your mind, act before thinking (when it comes to meet people, I mean!!! :p )

|ngenius (I don't hate you)

Back again everyone... wow I spend oh sooo much time here now ... :p

Anyway, to be brief... I'm kinda left out of the 'getting to know people' thing... most people come up to me and say hi... im not really outgoing...

But in other news, after a month apart, me and my gf are back together again and happier than ever... so happy... must rejoice... i'll be back later :)

~Kovenant

@rahvin
its funny how this is pretty similar all over the world. my background is more alike to what you described than you could imagine. the options to survive and make lots of friends is to join a cliched group, but i dislike them. i just hate how you have to be something these days- a punk, a goth, a hiphop-er, a fashionable person... (i have a soft spot for long haired metal guys, that i must admit, but there aren't many around and in no way is that a requirement) whatever, i just hate having people look at me and classify me into some category. so anyway, i too ended up with those loners that really don't fit anywhere else, and most are wonderful persons whose only problem is they're as introverted at first as i am, but i *have* had some very bad experiences. and the problem is, its hard to find these persons. which takes us back to the main problem, how to meet people?
i honestly think being picky is not my problem. the only advice i've had is to go out more often. the problem is, i dont *like* going to dance clubs, which is the city's main attraction. i could force myself to go, but whats the point, i'd only meet people who are into dance clubs, and most of the time those people have just totally different interests than i do. the other option is to join a group, preferably a religious one. they're very "in" here in my conservative city. since im not a very religious person (have my good reasons), i would feel like a hypocrite going there, even though everyone says that doesnt matter, the point is 75% of the people are there to make friends. which is why i hate those groups in the first place.
anyway i think i've made some improvements lately, but its not easy. you cant just start your day deciding to make new friends and boom, it will happen, but there are small things you can do. smile at strangers, maybe, start conversations. i once smiled to a guy in my class and we're now good friends. i once asked another guy in another class what music he was listening to (turned out to be tool) and we went out drinking with his gf last week. normally i would *never* have done those things. but just having a more open attitude, and not going to the library all your free hours (like i used to do... in my defense the library is such a nice cosy place) helps lots.
anyway i didnt really give any solution but it was nice of you to spend time answering my other post so i felt i had to go on and on about this subject.

I think people should just fuck and not have any real relationships :p :).

Nick(tired, and have to go to school and work all fucking day just like I have for the past 3 months)

Hey, short and simple, check out my latest thread about my current life situation.

Nick(yet I fight this battle all alone, hey Tiom Selick is getting beat up by 3 black guys)